Morrissey-solo Wikipedia-like feature - looking for help

davidt

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
I've been researching adding a Wikipedia-like section to Morrissey-solo and am looking for help in the initial design and data input. Please PM me if you have the time, interest in contributing and any of the following:

• An encyclopedia-like knowledge of Morrissey / The Smiths in general or a specific area
  • Wiki editing, templating or moderating experience
  • A strong desire to share your knowledge/research with other Morrissey / Smiths fans

Any ideas for the section are welcome to be discussed in this thread also.

I've been researching adding a Wikipedia-like section to Morrissey-solo and am looking for help in the initial design and data input. Please PM me if you have the time, interest in contributing and any of the following:

• An encyclopedia-like knowledge of Morrissey / The Smiths in general or a specific area
  • A strong desire to share your knowledge/research with other Morrissey / Smiths fans

• How is this different from passionsjustlikemine, apart from the communal-editing bit?
  • How will you prevent spamming/trolling/all the other things that make Solo great?
  • What's the going rate for contributors?

• How is this different from passionsjustlikemine, apart from the communal-editing bit?
  • How will you prevent spamming/trolling/all the other things that make Solo great?
  • What's the going rate for contributors?

Dealing with trolls is easy - just ignore them.

Dealing with trolls is easy - just ignore them.

I meant what's the policy for removing spam/troll content and preventing the user from making further edits? If you allow anonymous editors, the latter will be impossible.

I meant what's the policy for removing spam/troll content and preventing the user from making further edits? If you allow anonymous editors, the latter will be impossible.

It won't be that different than dealing with the abuse on the forums.

I think it's a great idea, and would work very well, provided it is moderated in the same fashion as anonymous posts, otherwise it could be an embarrassing disaster. Somewhere between Wikipedia and Passions would be ideal; chronology as an overriding format of contents, with some element of anecdotal input alongside the notes and references for retelling experiences of gigs etc (I know these would be footnotes rather than the bulk, but the insight of details would enrich the whole picture, no?). Logging-in should be mandatory to help avoid vandalism and also to provide credit. Definitely worth trying

I think it's a great idea, and would work very well, provided it is moderated in the same fashion as anonymous posts, otherwise it could be an embarrassing disaster. Somewhere between Wikipedia and Passions would be ideal; chronology as an overriding format of contents, with some element of anecdotal input alongside the notes and references for retelling experiences of gigs etc (I know these would be footnotes rather than the bulk, but the insight of details would enrich the whole picture, no?). Logging-in should be mandatory to help avoid vandalism and also to provide credit. Definitely worth trying

Logging in will most likely be a requirement to make edits. It's a little different than a free-flowing discussion board, I believe the wiki will be focused on facts and more tightly moderated. Thanks!

Logging in will most likely be a requirement to make edits. It's a little different than a free-flowing discussion board, I believe the wiki will be focused on facts and more tightly moderated. Thanks!

Bummer. I ain't logging in just to edit the wiki.

I should hope so. The anecdotal element would be the icing on the cake. It would be difficult to achieve, and therefore worth striving for, because it would be special. How many other encyclopaedias list facts alongside links to personal references...."On this night I managed to grab his shirt, because..."

You could call it ''Mozapedia'' :thumb:

David, seeing that Passions doesn't appear any closer to a second coming, I wonder what feedback you got for this idea? Has it progressed at all?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks the idea has potential. Amazed that no one has attempted it before.

Also amazed that no one has bought any 'mozipedia' domain names http://www.123-reg.co.uk/order?search=search&domain=mozipedia&ajax_enabled=true

Dave

David, seeing that Passions doesn't appear any closer to a second coming, I wonder what feedback you got for this idea? Has it progressed at all?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks the idea has potential. Amazed that no one has attempted it before.

Also amazed that no one has bought any 'mozipedia' domain names http://www.123-reg.co.uk/order?search=search&domain=mozipedia&ajax_enabled=true

Dave

Anyone other than Simon Goddard buying a domain name under the title "Mozipedia" would be highly unethical.

I like the idea of this Solo Wikipedia thing. I hope it comes to fruition because it sounds like a wonderful idea.

Back
Top Bottom