Morrissey's Age

I've always known that I'm not like most people my age (Twenties) mostly because of my taste in music and my taste in men. I have to say (with trepidation) that I am much more attracted to Moz circa now than I am to Moz circa the 80s. But I guess that's what makes me "weird" to most of my friends!

I still have a hard time understanding why more young people aren't listening to Morrissey/The Smiths. I really do think the songs are (in general) timeless and as long as you have ears well you should understand that they're GREAT!

Those geeks should NEVER cover any Moz/Smiths songs because they are crappy and they will ruin the songs with their inmense level of suckiness.

AFI is another one..... I hate them!

I've not heard of AFI. What I'm saying is, whether you like them or not, they have every right to cover Moz if they want to. They are just fans like you and I, and if I was in a band then I'd probably do inferior covers myself. Not because I'd think for one second that I'd produce a better song (the originals will always be superior) but because I love them so much.

I'm not overly keen on this Mark Ronson cover that's everywhere at the moment, but I read that he's a Smiths fan so I've no problem with him doing his own version (though I've every right to think it's crap :D)

I've always known that I'm not like most people my age (Twenties) mostly because of my taste in music and my taste in men. I have to say (with trepidation) that I am much more attracted to Moz circa now than I am to Moz circa the 80s. But I guess that's what makes me "weird" to most of my friends!

I still have a hard time understanding why more young people aren't listening to Morrissey/The Smiths. I really do think the songs are (in general) timeless and as long as you have ears well you should understand that they're GREAT!

We live in a world where Bon Jovi have sold millions of records, proof that there are just a lot of people out there that have no taste ;)

Moz embraces ageing, he even joked to Ross that he has always been 70. He dresses up like a really old man. Typical Moz, does the opposite to everyone else!

fact is, he is 48 or so, so what's the point in trying to be 'young'.

I think Moz looks great for his age, and I'm usually not at all attracted to older guys (I'm 36 and have only dated guys in their 20s.)

I understand how you feel Truly Disappointed as you last saw him back in the early 90s. It would seem very strange to see him now at 48. Many people on these boards are quite young and may not have as long a history with Morrissey, as your own.
I must admit, I feel stinging nostalgia for the Morrissey of 83-87. Mainly because I'd totally do him. But I'm not soooo nostaglic that I'd say no now. He's still got it.

;)

Last edited:
I think its why the younger generation of today hasn't picked up on the legacy of The Smiths and Morrissey

Well they have, I'm the younger generation, I certainly have.
I know what you're saying, I've spoken to numerous people my age who have never heard of him or the Smiths but then again, these have all been people who have no strong interest in music. Anyone who takes an interest has invariably heard of Moz, and if they haven't, well their loss.

Funnily enough, I told my friend who's a big Linkin Park fan about Moz introducing himself as Chester Bennington at a concert and my friend joked that Moz is trying to get in with the younger crowd :D

We live in a world where Bon Jovi have sold millions of records, proof that there are just a lot of people out there that have no taste ;)

Is anyone else amazed at how young he looks for 45?
Also, can't be bothered looking for a link, but on the Bon Jovi website under his photos section there's a picture of him standing underneath a framed photo of Moz lying in bed, you know the one of him within the last few years wrapped up in the sheets sitting up looking to the side.
P.S. not a Bon Jovi fan was just browsing the internet aimlessly in work :p

Anyone else find it weird seeing Morrissey in his late 40's? I last saw Moz in concert in 1990 when I was 22 years old. Then I saw him again last night in Boston. I have dutifully bought Vauxhall and I, Your Arsenal, You Are The Quarry since then. Never did pick up Ringleader, but I like most of what I have heard.

But its odd seeing Morrissey older now, I have to admit. The Smiths were such a youthful band and Morrissey was sort of an alternative to the older bands when I was in college, etc. I'm not saying anything negative, its just odd. Seeing him I guess reminded me I am getting older too.

It doesn't help I guess wearing the tux and the big ring and stuff. He just doesn't project the youth like he once did and I think its why the younger generation of today hasn't picked up on the legacy of The Smiths and Morrissey. They influenced all the bands they love (Incubus, Modest Mouse, Manic Street Preachers, etc.) yet they have no idea. I know some people in their 20's and if I talk music with them and mention Morrissey, they are like who? Yet they love Dave Matthews Band.

Maybe the key for Moz to reach larger audiences is to take a DMB like persona to some degree, a guy about his age who has reached the younger audiences. I dunno, its just his age kinda struck me last night.

But the show was great. He sounded good. I think he has more music left in him, but if he wants to keep getting recording deals, he needs to reach more than just the loyalists like us.

Yes, time passes and people get older. I know you mean something more than that but it sounds funny. Hush with that Dave Matthews talk! :D Seriously, he seemed not to age a lot in the 90's and then suddenly he looked a lot different so I know what you are saying. And the way he dresses does have a lot to do with it. I don't understand why he can't still wear Levis, either, but I guess this happens. If he dressed how he did then it would sort of be a costume, like Bruce Springsteen? I'd rather he act his age, but I agree that the suits were hard to get used to.

I've not heard of AFI. What I'm saying is, whether you like them or not, they have every right to cover Moz if they want to. They are just fans like you and I, and if I was in a band then I'd probably do inferior covers myself. Not because I'd think for one second that I'd produce a better song (the originals will always be superior) but because I love them so much.

I'm not overly keen on this Mark Ronson cover that's everywhere at the moment, but I read that he's a Smiths fan so I've no problem with him doing his own version (though I've every right to think it's crap :D)

Yes, you have every right to think it's crap and so do I......... IT IS A MOUNTAIN OF CRAP actaully!!

What I'm saying is that I as a fan cannot respect or tolerate these geek goth bands doing covers of Moz because....#1 they suck, and #2 they claim to be Moz fans, so why would they want to make such a mockery of The Smiths' music by covering classic songs, then selling the music just to make money ..... NOT COOL in my book.

If they like Moz so much they can listen to him as much as I do, and they can play covers of his songs in private as much as they want.... but don't make crappy covers just to sell records....that's all I'm saying :cool:

PS: Don't forget we still have that deal to perform together via satellite ;)

Last edited:
People like me trash those crappy bands when they mention Moz because THEY SUCK..... not because they like Moz. I've never said a bad thing about Radiohead's love for Moz.

My Chemical Romance DO like Morrissey especially Gerard Way. :p

I got into Morrissey when I was 10 :D
WOW. When I was 10 I listened to Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys and 5ive...

He dresses up like a really old man.
Yes.

I like Bon Jovi and I like Morrissey. At a different level.

Is anyone else amazed at how young he looks for 45?
Yes, he looks good, but he's not alone in this.

I don't understand why he can't still wear Levis, either, but I guess this happens.
I preferred jeans too. But in this picture he's wearing a suit and he looks very good. When has the pic been taken? 97 maybe?

I don't think Morrissey looks bad at all at 48 and he sounds just as good, if not better, to me.

I actually thinks he looks better at 48 than he did at 23.

Morrissey looks mighty fine to me! Thankfully he's not trying to leap around like Jagger! He's elegant, well groomed and a perfect specimen for his age!
How many of us would be here if he was all hair dye and trendy 20 something clothes?
I predict a long, happy and healthy career ahead of him and I hope to see more and more of him in the coming decades!

I got a bit of a shock when I saw him on the Jonathan Ross show promoting YATQ. In the seven years between Maladjusted and YATQ I think he looked so different. He looked like he had aged 15 years. He is 48 now but I really think he looks ten years older than that. Just my tuppence worth......

I got a bit of a shock when I saw him on the Jonathan Ross show promoting YATQ. In the seven years between Maladjusted and YATQ I think he looked so different. He looked like he had aged 15 years. He is 48 now but I really think he looks ten years older than that. Just my tuppence worth......

It's no coincidence that during that time he was living in Los Angeles. He should never have left England!

Anyone else find it telling that he's using 15 year old photos of himself on the latest merchandise and advertisements? I think he realizes he's lost his looks too. Poor guy.

Back
Top Bottom