National Day of Prayer

and i forgive you for being a f***ing idiot.

I'm sorry, but that is just not a very lucid and eloquent argumental debate

If you cannot come up with something even halfway rational, then just vacate the thread

While reading this thread, I loved how about 5% of you understand the meaning of prayer. :)

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee.

there is multiple scientific evidence that the life changing 'healing' power of prayer--whether it be emotional or physical--is nothing more than the healing power of meditation. When people meditate, their body and minds start to react differently and do weird stuff. It's scientific, not religious.

So religion/prayer is just a template people use to tap into this natural ability. I suggest meditation and drop the spiritual hocus pocus. It's not necessary and you'll just be living a lie. But if you really do need the hocus pocus because you are unable to survive without the clutch...then go for it. It's a free world.

I admire the positive potential religion has in bringing people together in a local community. Though it could also get negative, as in Middle East negative.

Last edited:
there is multiple scientific evidence that the life changing 'healing' power of prayer--whether it be emotional or physical--is nothing more than the healing power of meditation. When people meditate, their body and minds start to react differently and do weird stuff. It's scientific, not religious.

So religion is just a template people use to tap into this natural ability. I suggest meditation and drop the spiritual hocus pocus. It's not necessary and you'll just be living a lie. But if you really do need the hocus pocus because you are unable to survive without the clutch...then go for it. It's a free world.

Google: Our Lady of Fatima.

I'm watching the Colbert Report. Stephen is celebrating today too. he just had the "Dance-ciples" on, and he prayed for Dorito pudding. :)

So religion/prayer is just a template people use to tap into this natural ability. I suggest meditation and drop the spiritual hocus pocus. It's not necessary and you'll just be living a lie. But if you really do need the hocus pocus because you are unable to survive without the clutch...then go for it. It's a free world.

I admire the positive potential religion has in bringing people together in a local community. Though it could also get negative, as in Middle East negative.

"It's scientific, not religious" proves that you understand neither science nor religion. They are not exclusive. About "you'll be living a lie", geez, you probably think that "religious" people are patronizing.

well, there are all sorts of forms of "prayer" :straightface:
and i doubt that the kind of meditative or contemplative prayer i practice is anything like what people behind something as absurd(& possibly threatening) as a National Day of Prayer want to encourage :cool:
thank God! :pray: :lbf:

Thank you all for the charming input (as well as some less than charming output).

Not exactly how I envisioned this thread, but I got my prayer list anyway.

"It's scientific, not religious" proves that you understand neither science nor religion. They are not exclusive.

Without you explaining more, I guess we'll just have to settle with different definitions of religion and science. As far as I know, you mean to say Divine Intervention is legitimate science.

About "you'll be living a lie", geez, you probably think that "religious" people are patronizing.

Not at all. But I am patronizing. Belief in a god and religion is a throw back to a time science as we know it didn't exist and religion filled the void to explain and give meaning to human existence. These days, how can you still have faith in such things?

I could try to deal with this topic in a non patronizing way, but that would be a lie, and me just being nice to the simple minded people here who still believe in such nonsense. And that itself would be patronizing, though no one would notice. So I'm just being open.

When it comes to religion there isn't truths or facts.If you believe in the power of prayer then it's true for you and nothing will dissuade you.

I am and always will be an atheist.

Prayer can have an effect the same way a placebo does.It's only the power of the subconscious at work.

Why did you offer to pray for other people?

Religion is a personal thing. You shouldn't try and impact prayer upon people or use it as a weapon if you don't like what they say.

Personally I'm not a slave to a god that doesn't exist.

When it comes to religion there isn't truths or facts.If you believe in the power of prayer then it's true for you and nothing will dissuade you.

I am and always will be an atheist.

Prayer can have an effect the same way a placebo does.It's only the power of the subconscious at work.

The ramblings of a mad woman:crazy:

Religion is a personal thing. You shouldn't try and impact prayer upon people or use it as a weapon if you don't like what they say.

Personally I'm not a slave to a god that doesn't exist.

Marilyn Manson? Is that you?

I respect other people's faith and beliefs. I myself don't believe in god but I won't say god doesn't exist. If it consoles people, or gives a meaning to their lives and doesn't do any harm, I'm fine with it.

But I also agree with this statement:

Religion is a personal thing. You shouldn't try and impact prayer upon people ...

And it has reminded me of a university class mate of mine, a very religious guy, who sent us an email informing us about his engagement with his girlfriend and said: Your prayers are welcome. I was fuming, and wrote to him: I can't help you with prayers but congratulations to both of you and wish you all the best.

:rolleyes:

Tags
jesus vs santa
Back
Top Bottom