New Filter interview on main page

Looks like the interviewer just took a load of answers from previous interviews and used them...

I often wonder why interviewers never ask questions that fans WANT to know the answers to:

"Who is Carol?"

""Do you count THPGU and AYNIM as YoR singles, or just GH singles? Can we expect anymore YoR singles?"

"Why did you feel that now was the time to resurrect 'This Charming Man','I Keep Mine Hidden', and 'Some Girls Are Bigger than Others'?"

"What's the significance of the title 'Swords'?"

"How's that autobiography coming?"

and most of the questions seen here on Solo on a daily basis..

:crazy:

hmmm

I often wonder why interviewers never ask questions that fans WANT to know the answers to:

"Who is Carol?"

""Do you count THPGU and AYNIM as YoR singles, or just GH singles? Can we expect anymore YoR singles?"

"Why did you feel that now was the time to resurrect 'This Charming Man','I Keep Mine Hidden', and 'Some Girls Are Bigger than Others'?"

and most of the questions seen here on Solo on a daily basis.

Possibly Morrissey said 'no comment'. :D

"Who is Carol?"

(I would like to know about the tummy scar too, but yes.) Probably because the interviewers are not fans?:eek:

"Who is Carol?"

These are all the questions I've wanted to know the answers to. Interviewers should lurk this forum for at least....ooooh, I dunno, 2 weeks before chatting to Moz. :D
I'm clearly joking...

I almost sensed a twinge of despondent sadness, though it wasn't overstated.

He strikes such a strange tone. If I didn't know who Morrissey was, I would think that the man answering these questions is more than a little lost. He has no fixed address, little motivation, and (as always) he's given suicide an awful lot of thought. He would appear to be either profoundly at ease with himself and the universe, or in serious emotional trouble.

i suppose that's what makes Morrissey such an interesting person; he seems to straddle that disturbing edge.

I find this the most interesting passage from that interview:

"I really don’t give any consideration to the audience. I don’t give any consideration to people who are listening, and I don’t have a great explanation for any recordings because, in most instances, I personally don’t understand them."

Does this mean that the many threads we have on here searching for layers of meaning within Morrissey's lyrics are worthless? Are all of our ideas about Morrissey worthless if he doesn't understand his own songs?

Last edited:
From the front page- the Editor of Filter says

"So the whole thing came out really well and what's funny about that interview is—and of course I wasn't there—but Cameron (the interviewer) is really young, 24 or so, and Morrissey kind of f***ed with him at the beginning of the interview. On the tape, you can hear that Cameron was a little unsure of how to take it, but he totally won him over and they had a real conversation. It's really awesome and I'm so proud of that one. Cameron is an amazing writer."

Perhaps Morrissey gets bored of being asked the same old questions, to which he is not going to give an answer anyway. The Editor suggests Morrissey was pushing the interviewer. Maybe to sus him out, see how strong/open an individual he was.

Many thanks.

I kind of like the idea of a drunken Morrissey roaming around in a cemetery in the middle of the day.

"I really don’t give any consideration to the audience. I don’t give any consideration to people who are listening, and I don’t have a great explanation for any recordings because, in most instances, I personally don’t understand them."

Does this mean that the many threads we have on here searching for layers of meaning within Morrissey's lyrics are worthless? Are all of our ideas about Morrissey worthless if he doesn't understand his own songs?

Yes. Yes, it does.

It doesn't mean the threads discussing about meaning of the lyrics are worthless.
Great to exchange the ideas and opinions.

It doesn't mean the threads discussing about meaning of the lyrics are worthless.
Great to exchange the ideas and opinions.

Exactly Kewpie :thumb:
Even if Morrissey a) Writes and performs songs soley for himself, and b) Doesn't even fully understand a lot of them (as there must be some element of comprehension in what he is creating), it is good to talk about the meanings of the songs. Most have a very unique and personal meaning for the individual listener- combining this with our ideas to what they may mean to him just makes his music all the more interesting imo. That's the beauty of it- so many possibilities! :)

Exactly Kewpie :thumb:
Even if Morrissey a) Writes and performs songs soley for himself, and b) Doesn't even fully understand a lot of them (as there must be some element of comprehension in what he is creating), it is good to talk about the meanings of the songs. Most have a very unique and personal meaning for the individual listener- combining this with our ideas to what they may mean to him just makes his music all the more interesting imo. That's the beauty of it- so many possibilities! :)

That's the thing, it's just I like Morrissey songs because the lyrics make me think, 'yeah, here's a guy who's going through the same things as me'. If he doesn't even understand his own songs, how can he identify with them in the same way I can? Again, the search for meaning we discuss is often what meaning we believe he intended with certain songs. If he actually hasn't intended any meaning (how can he if he doesn't understand what he's talking about?), what is my justification for enjoying his music? It's supposed to speak to me, but I don't know if it does if he doesn't understand what he's talking about.

I don't even know why I'm arguing this point - I'm not sure if I even believe it myself.

That's the thing, it's just I like Morrissey songs because the lyrics make me think, 'yeah, here's a guy who's going through the same things as me'. If he doesn't even understand his own songs, how can he identify with them in the same way I can? Again, the search for meaning we discuss is often what meaning we believe he intended with certain songs. If he actually hasn't intended any meaning (how can he if he doesn't understand what he's talking about?), what is my justification for enjoying his music? It's supposed to speak to me, but I don't know if it does if he doesn't understand what he's talking about.

I don't even know why I'm arguing this point - I'm not sure if I even believe it myself.

I see your point, FRL, this issue confuses me a little bit sometimes. Still, I still feel that the music really speaks to me- the lyrics are so relatable. It's difficult to find a tangible explanation for the enjoyment of Morrissey though, so I know what you mean. :)

I see your point, FRL, this issue confuses me a little bit sometimes. Still, I still feel that the music really speaks to me- the lyrics are so relatable. It's difficult to find a tangible explanation for the enjoyment of Morrissey though, so I know what you mean. :)

Yeah, exactly. The appeal of Moz is also due to a certain amount of mystery - often evoked by comments like those in the interview. I'm just going to put it down as more enigmatic comments.

I don't think though that saying he doesn't fully understand his lyrics equals unawareness of the particular feeling or the situation that his writing is stimulated by. He is well aware of what he is writing about, even if he doesn't know why.

Back
Top Bottom