NME Article Impact

Ethan Poe

Does anyone say in light of the apparent Boycott and bad press that this might mean that we will not see the next album under the current lable? Or are my fears on the matter unfounded?

I don't think that will happen.

In fact, I think we should organize a letter writing campaign so the reverse happens...

I think we should write letters to other artists, laying out this manipulation and twisting, and targeting and bullshit and tell them to boycott NME and not give interviews because of this crap.

I can't gauge how this will really go over in England, but seriously... nobody in America gives a shit about the NME, and anyone who does read the piece can clearly see the NME's tactics... Morrissey's words say what they say. At worst, he's nostalgic and sentimental. But that's part of his charm.

I can't gauge how this will really go over in England, but seriously... nobody in America gives a shit about the NME, and anyone who does read the piece can clearly see the NME's tactics... Morrissey's words say what they say. At worst, he's nostalgic and sentimental. But that's part of his charm.

Yeah - to tell the truth I see this as a money grabbing publicity scam from both sides. Its really not part of my day. I can honestly say that at no point before I came home and logged onto the message board that I was thinking about the "Morrissey situation and NME."

"I'm WAL-ter Cron-KITE and this is hour thrEE of the Morrissey crisis in England...."

"I'm Tom Bro-kaaaaw and this is NBCee's coverage of MORE-issey"

Not happening

Yeah - to tell the truth I see this as a money grabbing publicity scam from both sides. Its really not part of my day. I can honestly say that at no point before I came home and logged onto the message board that I was thinking about the "Morrissey situation and NME."

"I'm WAL-ter Cron-KITE and this is hour thrEE of the Morrissey crisis in England...."

"I'm Tom Bro-kaaaaw and this is NBCee's coverage of MORE-issey"

Not happening

i think that Morrissey has more creative ways of making money :/ I doubt being labeled a Racist again is a money making scheme for him, I always find such accusations really out of whack... maybe that is just me and I grossly undervalue currency :confused:

i think that Morrissey has more creative ways of making money :/ I doubt being labeled a Racist again is a money making scheme for him, I always find such accusations really out of whack... maybe that is just me and I grossly undervalue currency :confused:

My reasoning for it is that any literate person can clearly see that he has multiple plausible outs. The interviewer writes a note that Morrissey's camp published where he disavows the interview removing his name from the credits. NME defends Morrissey albeit in a backhanded way. On top of that I have to agree with another poster whose name escapes me at the moment. Morrissey is something of a control freak. Not that it is a criticism but he is overly involved in every aspect of his product. Given the past shaky relationship with NME it befuddles me as to why his camp did not have a release where they have final approval of the interview.

This has done nothing but generate press. If you even look at the end of the statement released by Morrissey's manager he is sure to include that a new record contract has been signed.

This has been a media bonanza bringing NME into the spotlight and Morrissey has used it to announce that he is in the spotlight and will be recording with a new label into his fifties. Everyone will win at the end of this except for the people like me that are making their fingertips numb writing about it.

My reasoning for it is that any literate person can clearly see that he has multiple plausible outs.

I think perhaps you are calling me dumb :confused::confused:

I don't see it that way at all. I think the general population do not make their fingers numb and Morrissey is not something that they think about very often at all. I think they see his name in the SUN next to Racism and then they don't see it again for another few months or years. Then they hear I am going to london to see him and when I leave they wonder if I am a right winger and talk about me behind my back... just a small example.

kinda thing.

I think perhaps you are calling me dumb :confused::confused:

You know... I can see how you would think I was saying thing. That reads rather poorly. When I mean anyone I am talking about regular "joe public." Please do not take any slight towards yourself by my words.

If you are a Morrissey fan you will investigate the story and see for yourself. If you are not then you will not bother and accept it. However it matters little since if you are not a Morrissey fan you were not going to buy an album anyway.

You know... I can see how you would think I was saying thing. That reads rather poorly. When I mean anyone I am talking about regular "joe public." Please do not take any slight towards yourself by my words.

If you are a Morrissey fan you will investigate the story and see for yourself. If you are not then you will not bother and accept it. However it matters little since if you are not a Morrissey fan you were not going to buy an album anyway.

This is not how I see it at all. It seems to me that most of the people here who already love his music, are writing off the NME and it certainly will not change the fact that they will purchase the album. I don't think that this will attract attention that will generate sales. I do, however know people who do not know his music well, but whom have heard songs through me and asked for suggestions on purchases to introduce themselves etc... busy people... folks who don't spend much time on music. I can imagine them opening their minds up to Moz and then seeing a story like this and sort of - retracting. Racism is not a glamorous thing to be associated with in my world...

maybe we simply see things differently. I do understand what you are saying... but that is not really how my world works and I cannot imagine and I don't feel that Morrissey would do this on purpose. I don't think he needs to or will pull cheap stunts to try and get money. I really don't. He has had plenty of opportunity to do that and - in my view - he has not.

but of course, it is interesting to hear your view and I am glad that you were not trying to offend me or call me stupid... at least.

Then maybe this needs to be picked up as an example of how cheap and obnoxious the media can be, not how obnoxious one singer can be (because it isn't as case of that at all, that's only how they're trying to portray him.) Don't let the NME use it against Morrissey, use their own actions against them. If I only had a blog...

I don't think that will happen.

In fact, I think we should organize a letter writing campaign so the reverse happens...

I think we should write letters to other artists, laying out this manipulation and twisting, and targeting and bullshit and tell them to boycott NME and not give interviews because of this crap.

That is an idea worth building on.

Ever since 'Flirting the flag'. Whenever I see the NME in the newstand, I 'accidently' cover it with a nearby mag. If it's not on display, it wont sell. We should begin a war of attrition against the NME and take small but constant steps to help NME along with it's certain death.

Ever since 'Flirting the flag'. Whenever I see the NME in the newstand, I 'accidently' cover it with a nearby mag. If it's not on display, it wont sell. We should begin a war of attrition against the NME and take small but constant steps to help NME along with it's certain death.

I will hide the only copy at the only store in my area that sells it... that should do the trick.

I can honestly say I have NEVER seen a physical copy of NME here in NYC. I am sure the old Tower Records used to have them but they have closed. I am sure that the Virigin megastore in Union Square has it but again... I do not go looking for the magazine section when I go CD shopping. Outside of the music stores you are not going to see a copy in a magazine store ... say in Penn Station or something of that nature.

I HOPE THIS IS THE BEGINNING OF THE END OF MORRISSEY! THE MORE SENILE THE BASTARD TURNS THE MORE HE'LL START BLURTING OUT HIS TRUE FEELINGS AND OTHER STRANGE THINGS!! Hahahahahahha

I did a re-edit of my letter to the editor (see mainpage comments on latest post MOZ vs NME and I did build on this idea. I feel that artists should not stand by and watch them abuse Morrissey like this. Bono for example, spoke so nicely about him in importance of being... write to him and so many many many other bands that love Moz.

point it out. Call them on it!

I also pointed out that writers, interviewers, and photographers do not seem to have a very healthy or nourishing work environment at a magazine that rips their work from them and mangles and twists it until they ask that their name be taken off of it.

We really should you know... would be fun too! just cause i like causing trouble sometimes :D

The real impact of this accusation of racism is that Dave, NRITH, Morrissey the 23rd, Myself and others are all finding themselves posting in General Discussion instead of Other Topic.

Each time somebody wanted to take my photo or ask me anything when I did the cycle ride for the lads club. My agreement was only given under the condition it would not be given in way to the NME.

At The Smiths symposium, I refused to speak to them.

I never forgave them for the part they played in splitting The Smiths or 'Flying the flag'.

To be honest, at the time I didn't really understand the Union Jack Racism thing at all! I just loved the pics of Moz, always thought it was a cool looking flag, had seen it used before - and didn't really understand how anybody could get so tight assed about everything that they wouldn't mind saying that their own flag = racism. :confused::confused::confused: I still don't really get it? At the time I was 13 or 14 and I figured I simply did not know enough about British culture to understand... Moz was silent... I didn't get it, and so I didn't pay much attention to it. I know I liked NME at the time that it happened... chock full o Moz as it was! But I didn't understand the whole accusation... and now I see it is not because I was naive but because it was a bunch of fabricated crap!

as it is this time. no love for the nme.

anyways I have not bought one in years!

:p

Back
Top Bottom