"Not Like Any Other Love: The Smiths" - The Culture Show, BBC 2 - May 12, 2013 reminder / reports

Not Like Any Other Love: The Smiths - The Culture Show, BBC 2

Sun 12 May 2013
23:00
DURATION: 30 MINUTES (stream on iPlayer through May 19, region restricted)

UPDATE May 13:

MP4 format download provided in the Downloads forum by 6084615.

It's 30 years since Manchester four-piece The Smiths changed the face of British pop with their debut single Hand In Glove. In this half-hour Culture Show special, fellow Mancunian and lifelong fan Tim Samuels sets out to find out why The Smiths have such a special place in the hearts of a generation of Brits. The Smiths were only around for five years in the mid-eighties, but to this day the sentiment their music evokes is strong. Samuels pays visits to a variety of dedicated fans including fashion designer Wayne Hemingway, poet Simon Armitage, Labour MP Kerry McCarthy and Oasis songwriter Noel Gallagher to analyse the look, the lyrics, the issues and the riffs that made The Smiths Britain's first, and arguably best ever, indie rock band.

Related item:

Last edited:
The Jo Slee interview was very interesting. They could have done half an hour just on her and I would have been happy. It made me wish Morrissey had continued to take great care with his sleeve artwork. There have been many times since The Smiths when a solo sleeve appears to have had no thought go into it at all.

I enjoyed that, particularly the Jo Slee and composer pieces. Not in a hurry to attend Smiths Fest, but then again different strokes for different folks.

This one, for those asking, is from the roadie VHS that Grant Showbiz made in Sheffield. I recall he gave it to the extended band after that tour finished. The version I have is atrocious quality.
k472rpv.png

This one looks like a Grant Showbiz or Angie Marr video, but I don't think I've seen it before.
2zp4fH1.png

Here's a Jo Slee work-in-progress of the William re-issue that rests on my wall.
mNfQYt2.jpg

And here's a 720p Webrip version of the show.

Re: Article: "Not Like Any Other Love: The Smiths" - The Culture Show, BBC 2 - May 12

The documentry was a rehash and those are the way rehashes go. Not bad, make you pine for the artist and want to hear the bands songs some more. Jo was great and the only real intelligent person on the video. No offense to the others. The US bit was sad. Why must everything focus on the pale fragile people. The Smiths appealed to a lot more people than the sterotype bed set bedroom rebel. Nobody ever steps out of the box and talks to those other people. A real shame!

Re: Article: "Not Like Any Other Love: The Smiths" - The Culture Show, BBC 2 - May 12

This one looks like a Grant Showbiz or Angie Marr video, but I don't think I've seen it before.
2zp4fH1.png

This is from the Glasgow Barrowlands 25th September 1985. It's from 'The Tube' when Morrissey was interviewed by Margie Clarke on their short Scottish tour.

The documentry was a rehash and those are the way rehashes go. Not bad, make you pine for the artist and want to hear the bands songs some more. Jo was great and the only real intelligent person on the video. No offense to the others. The US bit was sad. Why must everything focus on the pale fragile people. The Smiths appealed to a lot more people than the sterotype bed set bedroom rebel. Nobody ever steps out of the box and talks to those other people. A real shame!

Agree 100%. I learned most of the Smiths albums while listening to my walkman while riding horses on trails out in Saddleback Mountain. While the stoned cooks at the cafe wanted to listen to KLOS 24/7 I was forcing them to listen to Morrissey and they grew to like it. I took him to the technical bookstore and played his tapes while shipping out books on Unix programming and internal medicaine to JPL and UCI. Then I forced him on my art college friends who listened to him ironically but I knew they loved it in real life. Morrissey went a LOT of places with me, not trapped in my bedroom sighing.

My high school friends were cruel though, always mocking, but that's what people are in high school so...

Last edited:

Why is it that one always get the feeling that your posts all come from you lacking a lot of self esteem and suffering from envy?

You like things out there like in this case The Smiths and Morrissey and it seems you cannot handle proper local fans that were there from the start. Or maybe you, who live in an isolated desert, is poking fun with people from the north of England that you know absolutely nothing about yet you claim to be a fan of a very well known northerner.

I'd be a proud fan too if I had been in Manchester when The Smiths made their debut and of course someone like that is something as unique as an original fan and that is certainly something that you are not. By the way I have watched your pictures and they make me feel ill as it is so isolated away from everything you need and that distance also relates to culture and understanding what Morrissey was about and english culture that you have proved that you know nothing about unless watching tv qualifies, which I strongly doubt it does.

So you stay there in the Arizona desert with the human trafficking gangs and their victims with your broken heart and messy love affairs of old while me and others continue to live real lives in the real world where we are forever a part of the original setup of fans that you can never become a part of.

Why is it that one always get the feeling that your posts all come from you lacking a lot of self esteem and suffering from envy?

Because you're cognitively impaired and suffering from perception bias?

You like things out there like in this case The Smiths and Morrissey and it seems you cannot handle proper local fans that were there from the start. Or maybe you, who live in an isolated desert, is poking fun with people from the north of England that you know absolutely nothing about yet you claim to be a fan of a very well known northerner.

I have no problem with older fans who are from Manchester.

I'd be a proud fan too if I had been in Manchester when The Smiths made their debut and of course someone like that is something as unique as an original fan and that is certainly something that you are not. By the way I have watched your pictures and they make me feel ill as it is so isolated away from everything you need and that distance also relates to culture and understanding what Morrissey was about and english culture that you have proved that you know nothing about unless watching tv qualifies, which I strongly doubt it does.

I'm a fan of the music. The man? Not so much. The country he comes from? Even less so. Nothing against England... but I'm not exactly flying the Union Jack. I'm a proud American and love my own country very much. I also love American bands such as R.E.M. who are from Georgia. Do I need to live in that state to get their music? No, I don't. Maybe this is necessary for a closed-minded simpleton such as yourself?

So you stay there in the Arizona desert with the human trafficking gangs and their victims with your broken heart and messy love affairs of old while me and others continue to live real lives in the real world where we are forever a part of the original setup of fans that you can never become a part of.

Nope.

Agree 100%. I learned most of the Smiths albums while listening to my walkman while riding horses on trails out in Saddleback Mountain. While the stoned cooks at the cafe wanted to listen to KLOS 24/7 I was forcing them to listen to Morrissey and they grew to like it. I took him to the technical bookstore and played his tapes while shipping out books on Unix programming and internal medicaine to JPL and UCI. Then I forced him on my art college friends who listened to him ironically but I knew they loved it in real life. Morrissey went a LOT of places with me, not trapped in my bedroom sighing.

My high school friends were cruel though, always mocking, but that's what people are in high school so...

Yes, high school was just a cruel joke. If you did not conform to everyone else you were almost stoned to death. It's sad but sometimes funny how all the bands I liked in High School are now liked by all the people who made fun of me for likeing them. I am sure everyone of them have a Cure or Depeche Mode song on their iphone/ipod now!! Was I the only person at a very large school that nobody liked the Smiths? I could hardly find anyone who liked them even outside my school. Yes we were outsiders and glad to be outside. It seems like the outsiders are a little more inside these days. Good for them.

Because you're cognitively impaired and suffering from perception bias?

I have no problem with older fans who are from Manchester.

I'm a fan of the music. The man? Not so much. The country he comes from? Even less so. Nothing against England... but I'm not exactly flying the Union Jack. I'm a proud American and love my own country very much. I also love American bands such as R.E.M. who are from Georgia. Do I need to live in that state to get their music? No, I don't. Maybe this is necessary for a closed-minded simpleton such as yourself?

Nope.

That is another thing with you that I simply forgot to mention in the first post. Your need to claim that anyone that do not share your view is somehow ill or at least suffer from some form of disorder. This just proves my first point that you are driven by the fact that you suffer from lack of self esteem and also envy a lot of people or everyone out there that are closer to the sources that you glorify from afar.

I think you suffer from living in a fantasy world made up by the things you love and the people you admire and this make you possessive and insecure to the point that you start to hate anyone closer to the truth or that may even know more than you do. That sort of obsession is almost only seen in kids and young teens into boybands and such phenomenons where they search after who they are by adoring something totally out of reach.

Your need for attention by taking pictures is just another manifestation of this as is your need to take part in discussion way above your intelligence and insight as I strongly suspect that you are desperately reaching for power outside of you cause you lack power within yourself.

Through your comments I know you are obsessed with british culture and I also suspect that you realise how higher evolved it is compared with the redneck influenced culture you see as american. There is of course no american culture as all the people from there, minus the indian population that I suspect you come from yourself, come from the rest of the world as USA became the new world and not the old world. The older things have longer history and richer traditions and this is something that is unquestionable and that many americans struggle to cope with with their usual resistance to anything that was before their time.

The indian population did not create the music you like and the other cultural traditions you are into as they were created by the ancestors of europeans and south americans but mostly europeans who created what is described as "american culture".

I think you are a clueless individual and a poser that will watch something the BBC made and distort it and turn it into something else that will adapt to your version of how things are and should be. You prove with post after post that you are still far away from everything and that your sources of information only contribute to your distorted view of everything because you filter it through your bad self esteem and your envy.

Dear BBC Culture Show,

Sorry to be a stickler but Colin Campbell is not on the cover of the original "William..." single. A bit of a gaff there. He did appear on a later CD version but not the one shown.

Also tell the Ex pat that Tizer is in a Morrissey song not a Smiths one. I think it was called "King Leer".

That is another thing with you that I simply forgot to mention in the first post. Your need to claim that anyone that do not share your view is somehow ill or at least suffer from some form of disorder. This just proves my first point that you are driven by the fact that you suffer from lack of self esteem and also envy a lot of people or everyone out there that are closer to the sources that you glorify from afar.

I think you suffer from living in a fantasy world made up by the things you love and the people you admire and this make you possessive and insecure to the point that you start to hate anyone closer to the truth or that may even know more than you do. That sort of obsession is almost only seen in kids and young teens into boybands and such phenomenons where they search after who they are by adoring something totally out of reach.

Your need for attention by taking pictures is just another manifestation of this as is your need to take part in discussion way above your intelligence and insight as I strongly suspect that you are desperately reaching for power outside of you cause you lack power within yourself.

This is one of the best examples of delusional thinking that I have come across in a very long time.

Through your comments I know you are obsessed with british culture and I also suspect that you realise how higher evolved it is compared with the redneck influenced culture you see as american. There is of course no american culture as all the people from there, minus the indian population that I suspect you come from yourself, come from the rest of the world as USA became the new world and not the old world. The older things have longer history and richer traditions and this is something that is unquestionable and that many americans struggle to cope with with their usual resistance to anything that was before their time.

The indian population did not create the music you like and the other cultural traditions you are into as they were created by the ancestors of europeans and south americans but mostly europeans who created what is described as "american culture".

I think you are a clueless individual and a poser that will watch something the BBC made and distort it and turn it into something else that will adapt to your version of how things are and should be. You prove with post after post that you are still far away from everything and that your sources of information only contribute to your distorted view of everything because you filter it through your bad self esteem and your envy.

If you can provide even one example to support this claim, then I will remove you from the top of my Not Right in the Head list.

:lbf:

People who say 'I'm sorry for being a pedant but...' generally aren't, but I stand suitably corrected. Grim down south? :thumb:

I'm still never going to watch it. And it does feature at least one grim northerner (Thomas Turgoose?) in black & white shit-o-vision.
Thomas isn't actually Northern, from the midlands somewhere.

Thomas isn't actually Northern, from the midlands somewhere.

Yes, Thomas is Northern, he was born and grew up in Grimsby near the Humber Estuary

Oh dear...

This is truly an excellent point. Every documentary that deals with the fan base features either the most disaffected, disillussioned outsiders or Latinos; but anyone who attends a Morrissey concert sees much more. He attracts a diverse audience, many of whom appear to be quite normal, if not a little over zealous at times. In fact, I'm sure that the actual statistics would show that the largest group of Morrissey fans are middle-class, middle-aged caucasions who get up everyday and go to normal jobs, the majority being British with Americans coming in second. It's not really a big deal, I just hate those contrived stereotypes.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom