Oy Esteban - another possible explanation

C

Consumer Monkey

I went to the library today, and was browsing through their ( rather feeble ) collection of CD's, when I noticed something by a group called the "Oyster Band" - obviously this sounds very like "Oy Esteban". Has anyone ever heard of this group ( and more importantly, has Morrissey? ), it seems too similar to be simply a coincidence.

gf4.jpg

> I went to the library today, and was browsing through their (¿ rather feeble ) collection of CD's, when I noticed something by¿ a group called the "Oyster Band" - obviously this¿ sounds very like "Oy Esteban". Has anyone ever heard¿ of this group ( and more importantly, has Morrissey? ), it seems¿ too similar to be simply a coincidence.

seems like a stretch to me........

Re: My Friend's Theory:

Morrissey was doing Morrissey's and he went into a Mexican Bar in LA …This how the dialogue went:

Drunk Mexican: Como te LLAMAS? *Drunk Mexican Talk* (What's your name?)

Morrissey: Steven *timidly* (barely grasping what he said)

Drunk Mexican: Oye Esteban! Quieres una Cerveza? (Hey, Steven Do you want a beer?) *loud and obnoxius manner*

Morrissey: Corona, por favor!

Hey!, it could happen…The other day my a friend and I decided to walk into a Mexican bar just to get laugh. After, getting aquatinted with one the drunks there, all of the sudden, he screamed to the bartender "Una para mis amigos" (a beer for my friends). All the beers we drank (except for the first one) went into his tap. He would not let us pay for any. I guess he found it funny that a white guy (my friend) went into such a place… Pretty Drunk….

we got love like a violent mind

> I went to the library today, and was browsing through their (¿ rather feeble ) collection of CD's, when I noticed something by¿ a group called the "Oyster Band" - obviously this¿ sounds very like "Oy Esteban". Has anyone ever heard¿ of this group ( and more importantly, has Morrissey? ), it seems¿ too similar to be simply a coincidence.

'Oye Esteban' sounds a lot like 'Gloria Estefan'. It can't be a coincidence. So he's simultaneously paying homage to himself, his Hispanic fans, the world-famous Oyster Band, a bad pop diva and a guy called Bruce. It all makes sense. That clever Moz. He's so COMPLEX.

Are you sure it wasn't The Blue Oyster Cult?

I've just checked with CDnow, and there is such a group, so yes. They are described as "A British folk-rock band of the late '80s and early '90s, specializing in contemporary dance rhythms (played by a rock rhythm section) yet retaining a traditional English folk flavor." - just the kind of music that Morissey's into.¿ Are you sure it wasn't The Blue Oyster Cult?

gf4.jpg

I've just had a quick look at a few "Oysterband" web sites to see if I could find any obvious Morrissey connections - the closest is that they have done covers of Billy Bragg and New Order.¿ Are you sure it wasn't The Blue Oyster Cult?

best4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom