"Paris" midweek - top 20

Maybe the Jonathan Ross show and the Radio 2 gig will boost it??[/QUOTE]

Or maybe a kick up the arse of recordstore:whip:

Exactly! Now they aren't even responding to email inquiries. Regardless of the outcome of my order I won't be buying from them again. Second time now... shame on me. Right bastards, those guys.

Exactly! Now they aren't even responding to email inquiries. Regardless of the outcome of my order I won't be buying from them again. Second time now... shame on me. Right bastards, those guys.

Try Townsend Records next time, they did the 3 for £5 deal and mine arrived yesterday morning.

I doubt if it will go top ten. It's not on iTUnes top 10 tracks after one day.

Hopefully top 15 but otherwise I fear heads at Polydor will roll. Not their fault but you know what "he" is like.

Maybe the glory days of top 10 Morrissey singles are now over. Remember back in the mid 1990s when he only got to 24 every time, or lower. Well I think we're back to those days, but then the charts don't really matter anymore. No Top Of The Pops, the gauge is gone and the ship has sailed. He shouldn't worry about getting hit singles in today's climate but I fear it's still 1969 in his head. Tommy Roe is number one and he has nightmares of entering at 26 like The Flamingos, gazumped by Des O'Connor's "Dick-A-Dum-Dum" and Cliff's "Big Ship".

Wise words there but, considering it was less than three years ago when he had a realistic chance of a number 1 single with 'You Have Killed Me', I think Moz would be understandably a bit devastated if Paris misses the top 10, let alone the top 20!

It would also be symbolic, suggesting that his feud with the NME (and subsequent lack of a cover issue to support the new album) has really affected his popularity...

I fail to see how this can be called a "midweek" placing - we haven't even gotten to the end of Tuesday yet! Wednesday or Thursday is midweek.

Although i suspect that Morrissey sells the majority of his singles in the first couple of days, i reckon Jonathan Ross could give him a late surge on Saturday - i wouldn't be surprised to see him enter outside the top 20 though.

I think the idea that the row with the NME has anything to do with the chart placing is a bit of a stretch. Fact is the singles chart is dominated by youth acts and Morrissey just can't compete in that world anymore.

Paris is 71st for now on iTunes.

Don't fret, people - Physical singles are stocked in far fewer places than they were even three years ago, and even HMV only have a relatively tiny section now. The demise of Woolworths was the final nail, and even they had reduced shelf space considerably prior to their death.

The singles chart will - from now until the end of time - be dominated by the digital market. It's much, much harder to get physical copies and the impulse just isn't there. The average Morrissey fan who isn't quite hardcore enough to order each and every single would see no purpose in buying the digital single and instead just scoop up the album in a week's time.

Last edited:
What matters of course is the sales figures.
IBEH sold about 30,000 copies which was enough to get it to number 3 in 2004, YHKM sold about 5000 copies less, but still managed to enter at number 3.

Since downloads have increased so much, 25,000-30,000 copies sold would, in last weeks chart, have only brought a single to 6th or 7th place.

The single is at 15-20 now. if it still is by the end of the week it will only have sold about half the amount that IBEH and YHKM sold, which would be a bit worrying, especially since it seems to have gotten more airplay than the other two.

Don't fret, people - Physical singles are stocked in far fewer places than they were even three years ago, and even HMV only have a relatively tiny section now.

Harrogates HMVs singles section is miniscule. The Paris singles, in its 3 formats, made up over half of its singles stock :crazy:
Not that I mind :thumb:

It would also be symbolic, suggesting that his feud with the NME (and subsequent lack of a cover issue to support the new album) has really affected his popularity...
or maybe the song is just crap?

I think the idea that the row with the NME has anything to do with the chart placing is a bit of a stretch. Fact is the singles chart is dominated by youth acts and Morrissey just can't compete in that world anymore.
i agree with the first sentece. as for the young acts, what about bruce springsteen?

The single is at 15-20 now. if it still is by the end of the week it will only have sold about half the amount that IBEH and YHKM sold, which would be a bit worrying, especially since it seems to have gotten more airplay than the other two.

Not really - As I said, physical singles are a veritable wasteland now. Away from the internet, barely anywhere stocks them (HMV might be the only major chain now...) which is very different even to 2006. No one is going to bother with a Morrissey track digitally a week before the album arrives, he's just not the sort of artist who appeals to the single track chart downloaders.

or maybe the song is just crap?

i agree with the first sentece. as for the young acts, what about bruce springsteen?

Yeah, because quality is a real barometre to sales. That's why the quite hideous, - and I'm being incredibly generous here - very scarcely talented Lily Allen reigns supreme in the singles chart, followed by a cheap Madonna impersonater.

And as for Springsteen, well, he's been a mainstream megastar since the early 80s. He may not be given blanket coverage by yoof outlets like Radio 1 (something which, bizarrely, U2 and the Red Hot Chili Peppers will forever be able to count on) but he's still a blockbuster stadium star & cannot realistically be compared to Morrissey. The two exist in different worlds.

I suspect that Springsteen's worst selling album of the past two decades was several times as successful as You Are The Quarry.

Tags
charts paris top 20 top 40
Back
Top Bottom