person at "Rolling Stone" compared Taylor Swift to Morrissey

Please, don't even joke about that. :) I understand that the Tea Party people have now taken to ritualistic starry-eyed mass recitals of the constitution, as if Thomas Jefferson was Jim Bakker. A direct re-enactment of charismatic TV religion as a form of politics, with the US Constitution standing in as the sacred scripture they can't seem to do without (and which they interpret rather freely...). These people are scary. The fact they're considered not just clinically sane but normal and respectable people in the most powerful country in the world is enough to make anyone wet their pants. ;)

cheers

You can't imagine what it feels like to live in this country right now. Believe me, plenty of Americans appreciated that their country was what Saul Bellow called "the moronic inferno". It was part of the national character, a colorful wackiness apotheosized by Twain, Mencken and Thompson. But lately even the days of Dan Quayle, Willie Horton, and "That depends on what the definition of 'is' is" seem like fifth century Athens compared to the lunacy of our current political landscape. We won't be the most powerful country in the world for long. Let's hope we go out with a whimper and not a bang. :rolleyes:

Well, hats off to anyone who dares go there. :D But according to this dude, the answer is yes, it is. In much the same way and sense that having a pneumatic drill make a hole through your stomach lining is worse than a good bottle of Meursault.

cheers

Ha! Sheesh, this is a tough crowd! :o

Well, okay, perhaps I exaggerated a little bit. There would probably have to be some minor cosmetic changes to her musical arrangements, and probably a few of the more, uh, suburban lyrics left out. In the main, though, she could sing her twee little songs of love and longing and fit right in with various indie darlings who get away with peddling exactly the same brand of pixie-dusted cotton candy to "discriminating pop lovers" who take pride in how finnicky they are about what goes on their iPods.

That's exactly why I don't like her music.

Last edited:
You can't imagine what it feels like to live in this country right now. Believe me, plenty of Americans appreciated that their country was what Saul Bellow called "the moronic inferno". It was part of the national character, a colorful wackiness apotheosized by Twain, Mencken and Thompson. But lately even the days of Dan Quayle, Willie Horton, and "That depends on what the definition of 'is' is" seem like fifth century Athens compared to the lunacy of our current political landscape. We won't be the most powerful country in the world for long. Let's hope we go out with a whimper and not a bang. :rolleyes:

Ouch, we need you to not go out at all. You can't count on Europe, we've gotten used to only responding to challenges once they have become catastrophic crisis. Otherwise we prefer to muddle along.

I suspect you're right that I can't imagine. I always assumed that liberals and conservatives alike in the US had just become too combative and mutually disrespectful. But lately it seems more and more difficult to escape the conclusion that the real problem is that the conservatives have gone mad, to put it simplistically. My instincts are off.

cheers

By the way I would kill to hear Morrissey sing these lines: "You're an expert at sorry/And keeping lines blurry/And never impressed/By me acing your tests".
Morrissey probably already sang a version of those lines already. :lbf:

Ouch, we need you to not go out at all. You can't count on Europe, we've gotten used to only responding to challenges once they have become catastrophic crisis. Otherwise we prefer to muddle along.

I suspect you're right that I can't imagine. I always assumed that liberals and conservatives alike in the US had just become too combative and mutually disrespectful. But lately it seems more and more difficult to escape the conclusion that the real problem is that the conservatives have gone mad, to put it simplistically. My instincts are off.

cheers

No, your instincts are correct. The only thing I'd add is that the ground has shifted and those who are now liberals probably used to be moderate conservatives. Barack Obama would have made a perfect Republican in 1984. Today he's considered a loony Marxist crackpot.

The part you probably can't imagine-- just as I can't imagine your state of affairs, over there-- is the horror of watching it all happen in slow motion, on the inside. Here I would like to quote Simon Foster (Tom Hollander) from the movie "In The Loop": "I'm just staring into space while a voice in the back of my head goes 'Oh shit', over and over, like a car alarm going off in the middle of the night". :rolleyes:

I think that in real life she is a very nice girl - but I really don't get all of the hype that is surrounding her.

I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt and listen to her music

She is OK, she is young and her songs all sound the same - they are light and talk about what young adults talk about – love, boys etc... Her music to me sounds very young and green. There is not a lot of emotional depth there. Maybe in a couple of years she might develop her talent into something more prolific, she is only 21 years old and has a lot of time.

However, to compare her abilities to someone like Morrissey??? I don't get it. That is like comparing Latoya Jackson to Joni Mitchell or Fred Durst to Mozart. There really is no comparison.

She became the martyr of the music world when Kanye decided to crash her moment at the MTV music awards. I think the world felt sorry for her in a way and lavished Grammys on her that I think she really did not deserve, yet.

Even one of her peers - I think Wynona Judd said it was too fast and way too much.

"You want my honest comment? It’s too much too soon. Time is God’s way of keeping everything from happening at once. It’s just too much of a good thing too soon

Agree? Disagree?
:confused::confused::confused:

"Except with even more eyeliner"? Is it possible that Einstein here is confusing Morrissey with Robert Smith? :D

cheers

On one hand I think you make a good point. On the other...I don't know......:D

ghoul.jpg

Here is the difference between Taylor Swift (why is she always squinting?) and Lady Gaga. I don't listen to either of them so this is really not based on "taste." The difference is that I've heard Taylor Swift and it didn't stick. I Can't name anything she has done, and if it wasn't for Kanye West I might not know who she is. But when I hear Lady Gaga the chorus gets stuck in my head whether I like it or not.

Of course it goes without saying that Beyonce is the greatest of all time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand the hype surrounding Taylor Swift, and I've only heard a few snippets of her songs, so I can't really comment on the quality of her music, but comparing her to Morrissey (albeit tongue-in-cheek) seems a bit much.

why? He's quite pretty.

If it weren't for the blusher and the dreadful lighting I'd agree with you.

She seems more like a poor version of Juliana Hatfield to me?

This person at RS obviously had a lobotomy done:squiffy:.Its ridioulous to write such nonsense.

Last edited:
Morrissey would turn this song into a classic.

BETTER THAN REVENGE

Now go stand in the corner and think about what you did

Ha, Time for a little revenge

The story starts when it was hot and it was summer
And, I had it all; I had him right there where I wanted him
She came along, got him alone, and let's hear the applause
She took him faster than you can say sabotage

I never saw it coming, wouldn't have suspected it
I underestimated just who I was dealing with
She had to know the pain was beating on me like a drum
She underestimated just who she was stealing from

She's not a saint and she's not what you think
She's an actress, Whoa
She's better known for the things that she does
on the mattress, Whoa
Soon she's gonna find
Stealing other people's toys on the playground
Won't make you many friends
She should keep in mind,
She should keep in mind
There is nothing I do better than revenge

She lives her life like it's a party and she's on the list
She looks at me like I'm a trend and she's so over it
I think her ever present frown is a little troubling
And, she thinks I'm psycho cause I like to rhyme her name with things, but
Sophistication isn't what you wear, or who you know
or pushing people down to get you where you wanna go
Oh they didn't teach you that in prep school
So it's up to me
But no amount of vintage dresses gives you dignity

She's an actress, Whoa
on the mattress, Whoa
Soon she's gonna find
She should keep in mind,
She should keep in mind
There is nothing I do better than revenge, Ha ha

I'm just another thing for you to roll your eyes at honey
You might have him, but haven't you heard
I'm just another thing for you to roll your eyes at honey
You might have him, but I always get the last word
Whoa

She's an actress, Whoa
on the mattress, Whoa
Soon she's gonna find
She should keep in mind,
She should keep in mind
There is nothing I do better than revenge,

And do you still feel like you know what you're doing,
Cause I don't think you do, Oh
Do you still feel like you know what you're doing
I don't think you do, I don't think you do
Let's hear the applause
C'mon show me how much better you are
See you deserve some applause
Cause you're so much better
She took him faster than you can say sabotage​
Is this a joke?This is pure graphomania.Btw.im suprised that she can actually write or read.

Is this bullshit-discussion still going on? Why?

The discussion continues

In the Correspondence section of Rolling Stone dated December 9, 2010 (note that I get this subscription for free and do not subscribe to this publication)

Swift Vs. Smiths
Alex Samuel Chernow of San Diego writes
How dare Rob Sheffield compare teenage nothing Taylor Swift to Morrissey. On behalf of all Smiths/Morrissey apostles, I demand an apology. Have you forgotten Morrissey's contribution to music? Do the right thing and recant.

Rob Sheffield responds:
Any real Morrissey fan knows that teenage nothings are his favorite people. If you play Taylor and Morrissey songs back to back, its clear these two should be best buddies. I predict Taylor soon goes vegetarian and starts writing about tattooed boys from Birkenhead.

Tags
maybe if she wore meat
Back
Top Bottom