Professor Johnny Marr of Salford University

Sorry if this old news, I just thought it was rather interesting:

Salford, here we come

The former Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr has moved from Portland, Oregon, back to Manchester to become a music teacher. Pandora noted recently that the Creation Records founder Alan McGee, best known for discovering Oasis, had agreed to teach a music degree course at the University of Gloucestershire.

Today, Marr, 43, a member of the American indie band Modest Mouse, will be similarly inducted into a life of maraca-dodging and collecting xylophones (only joking) at the University of Salford, where he has been appointed a professor of music.

"Yes, he will be giving lectures there," says a spokesman for Marr, who was born in nearby Ardwick. "He is really very excited about it."

Here is the original source:
http://news.independent.co.uk/people/pandora/article3067230.ece

A mildy interesting story, PT; I noticed it, too, in today's Indy.

The hard copy included a pic (it said) of Marr. I've scanned the piece for fellow Solo-users, so will attempt to upload it now (apols for any errors - 1st go at doing this).

Re. the pic - can't see the resemblance myself!

Mike

Oh well....I had a go.

I think I need a lesson or 2 from Uncle Skinny...

bah.. i applied for a popular music course at uni (though in london, not salford) and they rejected me.. when i read stuff like that, it still hurts.

Or business contract law.

Hee hee. Right. Or "Business Ethics".

But I think Johnny would much prefer a co-professorship. Good for awkward after-class run-ins with irate students.

Student: "Professor Marr, you gave me a horrible grade on this thesis paper. I really object. I think you were completely unfair!"

Prof. Marr: "Yes, well, um... [sotto voce] Morrissey graded that paper. I only put my name on the comments because he made me."

So, does this mean he won't be working for Modest Mouse anymore? When does he start lecturing at the university? Weird that there's not much more said about it.

I have a feeling it's one of those positions where you don't actually do very much. Just turn up a couple of times a year and give a speech. A bit of nice PR for the university and Johnny.

Modest Mouse are about to start touring the states. Can't see Johnny missing that.

Does Marr write songs for Mouse or is he just a guitar player for them?

just wondering.. do you think one could maybe sit in one of those lectures as a guest listener? not because i want to be staring at johnny marr, but because i´m actually really interested in his lectures..

yeah i know it would be great to sneak in there hehehe..but that means id have to fly to england..and well id never come back if i did...and my luck hed recognize me off the bat *hides*

I have a feeling it's one of those positions where you don't actually do very much. Just turn up a couple of times a year and give a speech.

Yes, it is probably like this.
One question: are you named after the durutti column song?

Here's a CBC telephone interview with Johnny from 11/7/07, discussing his upcoming duties as professor at Salford University. Lectures start in January. Hopefuly someone will tape them. The interview starts around 12:30.

CBC Podcast

i go to salford and have been told i can sit in and listen to his lectures(im not on music course though) and yes they confirmed at the uni that he would start in january, after he has finished with modest mouse

Back
Top Bottom