Morrissey Central "Release" - Bonfire release details (October 29, 2022)

As posted on Morrissey central

Capitol Records (Los Angeles) will release Morrissey’s ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ in February 2023. The album will be released worldwide except for the United Kingdom, where there is no label deal. ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ is produced by Grammy-producer Andrew Watt, and was recorded in Los Angeles. The musicians on the album are Jesse Tobias, Andrew Watt, Josh Klinghoffer (ex-Chili Peppers), and Chad Smith and Flea (both of the Chili Peppers). The album features Miley Cyrus and Iggy Pop on additional vocals. The eleven tracks are: I Am Veronica, Rebels Without Applause, Kerouac’s Crack, Ha Ha Harlem, I Live in Oblivion, Bonfire of Teenagers, My Funeral, Diana Dors, I Ex-love You, Sure Enough The Telephone Rings, Saint In a Stained Glass Window. Album art is by Liam Lynch. Capitol Records (Los Angeles) has also licensed the rights to re-release Morrissey’s albums ‘Southpaw Grammar’, ‘You Are The Quarry’, ‘Ringleader of the Tormentors’, ‘Years of Refusal’ and ‘World Peace is None of Your Business’, and these will be available in deluxe vinyl/LP formats. As with ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’, the albums will be issued worldwide except for the United Kingdom until a UK label steps in. Morrissey is managed by Maverick/Quest in Los Angeles.

Morrissey’s next concert is at the Toyota Arena, Ontario, California on November 11.

DSCF3881.JPG
DSCF3890.JPG

Photos by S.E.R.

Media items:

Ah ok. Well it seems that M & Cap both came to some kind of happy agreement. We could only wait and see.
True. But if Morrissey wants a video (as you hoped) and flyposting and a huge campaign to get to number 1, which he always wants, then Capitol certainly demands of him to do his share.

Let’s indeed hope for the best.

I would love for him to sit for an interview with a real journalist. Print or studio, it doesn't matter. How great it would be to see the barbed wit and the thinly-veiled contempt again.

The problem is finding a ‘real journalist’ do they still exist?

I was recently reading this 1979 interview with Bowie and Iggy by journalist Chris Hodenfield
don’t know if it was a great interview but it was an interesting & fun read ….

Moz should do a special UK edition of the album, where the controversial title track is replaced by a cover of 'Don't Look Back in Anger' (Billy Bragg on backing vocals).
Fantastic news about the album. Maybe MporiumUk can stock it even if it's not released in UK.
Neil Oliver could do an interview with Morrissey and Brag could write a "witty" response as he hates them both equally. He could endear himself to anyone jumping on a populist bandwagon and make sure he gets press to make himself relevant. "There is a light" featured on the front of The Manchester Evening news at the time so it might be a good one instead.

Here's an interesting question. Well it's interesting to me anyway. Consider the unlikely possibility that Bonfire doesn't get a label in the UK (and Ireland, let's say). Assuming Moz plays in UK/IRL in 2023 is he ok to sell Bonfire at the merch desk?
I'm sure this is just a hypothetical question but I'm interested to read what you think.

Here's an interesting question. Well it's interesting to me anyway. Consider the unlikely possibility that Bonfire doesn't get a label in the UK (and Ireland, let's say). Assuming Moz plays in UK/IRL in 2023 is he ok to sell Bonfire at the merch desk?
I'm sure this is just a hypothetical question but I'm interested to read what you think.

Assuming shops can sell it as an import in the shops, and it’s not illegal to sell it in the UK, I don’t see why not.

But you may have to buy the autographed copy for 250. 🙃

So weird. I've never been into the Red Hot Chilli Peppers ever. I can see why people like them as there are a few bands I'm into that I guess are a similar vibe, but it's so strange now to be looking forward to the next Morrissey album where he is basically backed by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. What a world.

When Moz announced one concert in Ireland for 2022 I immediately thought he'll be back in 2023. Looking more likely now I'd say.
Yes, he wants to be loved in his hometown. UK and Ireland are home to him.
The UK especially should be ashamed for the way they have treated him. socal he loves but it's not home like UK and Ireland.
His gigs are nearly always fire in UK and Ireland. can't say that about anywhere else
So, yes he will be back if he has an lp or not.
I have to say I'm not trusting this new LP news still I think he was just trying to sell tickets on a tour that has loads of tickets - if you look at most stories, they all have ads for gigs
There has still been no news from the record company. Didn't he also say the last three labels were also gonna rerelease his back catalog?
Im not a hater, i want to see the lp. Just saying I have my doubts

So weird. I've never been into the Red Hot Chilli Peppers ever. I can see why people like them as there are a few bands I'm into that I guess are a similar vibe, but it's so strange now to be looking forward to the next Morrissey album where he is basically backed by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. What a world.
well, they are all Jesses mates, aren't they ?
Thats how he knows them, i bet , also they are big in cali, so

At this rate I actually hope he doesn't debut anymore of the songs live. We've heard all of side 1 except for Ha Ha Harlem, and one song from side 2.

The new iggy Pop single frenzy was recorded in the same Andrew Watt produced studio backed by the same members of the Chili Peppers. Despite Iggy being a different artist then Moz for context this could be similar to the production and sound of some of the tracks on bonfire. Perhaps the drum sounds anyway?

Since Iggy is doing guest vocals on the new Moz album, will Moz return the favor and sing on Iggy’s album?

True. But if Morrissey wants a video (as you hoped) and flyposting and a huge campaign to get to number 1, which he always wants, then Capitol certainly demands of him to do his share.

Let’s indeed hope for the best.
But his obsession with the number 1 position is really a UK thing. He has zero chance of reaching number 1 in the US or in any other country. And the album will not be released in the UK (for the time being). So no promotion in the UK.

I can imagine him performing his new single (with Miley present to make it more interesting) on one of these TV shows. And if required, he may do some email interviews on a very selective basis.

Yes, signed copies for €500.

Someone pointed out the obvious Jesse connection, but I really think the choice of using them came through Watt.

I don’t really think of them as the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I just think of them as good enough musicians that may give him a different sound.

Aren’t Chad and Flea basically session musicians, I know Flea gets around and M is not a dog on a chain, so that was inevitable. ;)

I would love for him to sit for an interview with a real journalist. Print or studio, it doesn't matter. How great it would be to see the barbed wit and the thinly-veiled contempt again.

I love the idea of it... but how long until the interview devolves into questions about his open letter to Johnny Marr, his support of For Britain, and other controversial comments made over the past few years... basically everything but the music?

Last edited:
Tags
bonfire of teenagers
Back
Top Bottom