RIP Andy Rourke (May 19, 2023)

aoJ0vqTsewg8x2mWZ71sf24kVGS.jpg

Oh man, this hurts. Tweet from Johnny:

Screenshot_20230519-155603.png

Related items:

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
I rarely cry, but Morrissey’s eulogy nearly pushed me over the edge. That’s how you write a eulogy. Incredibly touching, heartfelt and personal.

Beautiful pic from Johnnys daughter

yeah, nice to see them still able to have some fun.
I really feel for Johnny, losing a childhood friend like that, i didn't realise Marr actually lived with Rourke's family for a while as a teenager, that kind of surprised me.

This is tough. One of the all-time great bass players, very innovative, and essential to the sound of his timeless band. With all my love, Andy - you smooth Mo-Fracca. I know you 'got yours', buddy :D

I've been with my wife for twenty years, and just like most non-musicians, they 'know' all the parts to a band, but don't really understand how they work together. The Smiths are great instructors/examples for this, and it was always fun playing Andy's bass lines on her legs while we were driving around :)

I couldn't believe it when I read it, I had no idea he was so ill. Totally awful unexpected news, not only because he was my favorite bass player in the world but because he was too young to die
Listening to The Smiths is going to be very sad for a while.
My most sincere condolences to his family.

Morrissey's response fits hand in glove with what I've always thought - how he feels about Andy. There was admiration on both sides. Such love and respect.

The Smiths are eternal.

Thanks for the music Andy....wanted to share this:

Also wanted to add a few more mentions to what I think were underrated bass lines....Death Of A Disco Dancer, Frankly Mr. Shankly.....I Know It's Over.....

Really sad to hear. I've had several family members succumb to cancer so a whisper of intuition had me concerned when I saw how drawn his face looked in those recent pictures with JM. Sadly, the rumors were true.

What's so mightily impressive about Andy, beyond his singular gift for bass lines steady as a rock and yet rife with melodic turns, was how quiet, stolid and humble he was about his greatness. That even-keeled affect seemed to carry over in his life. I can only imagine the psychological misery of the "windscreen dismissal" and the necessity to settle out of court with the frontline in the Nineties. But he never had a truly bitter word to say about it all, which says a lot about the person he was. Maybe that kind of quiet grace is what made those basslines so special and enduring.

While 59 is painfully young, I'm heartened to see encomia sweeping in from all corners to honor him. If for nothing else, M and JM seem to have found some common ground in the memory of their mate.

Thanks, Andy. What a huge difference you *did* make. x

😭😭😭 thank you Andy.. we will love you here and beyond. God blessed you 😭😭😭😭

Back
Top Bottom