Sell Out at G Mex

endoman

According to See tickets, G-Mex on 23rd is sold out. Good job I have mine. wonder if it looks the same as during 10th summer?

According to Billy Bud who works at ticketmaster which sells the majority of G-Mex tickets.
Even seetickets' allocation is now sold out until ticketmaster sells all their tickets it's not sold out yet.

yeah, they say its sold out but its not really. my mate work on the g-mex box office and reckons some bloke with a curtain haircut and scouse accent bought 300 in one go. i dont trust him me self. thats the thing about mozzer. he int bothered.

by the way, i hope he does interesting drug or thats it. i'm fed uup.

ta

According to See tickets, G-Mex on 23rd is sold out. Good job I have mine. wonder if it looks the same as during 10th summer?

It's all standing, so it won't look anything like the Festival of the 10th Summer. Then they had an "arena" of about 3,000 in front of the stage where people stood (surrounded by barriers), with seats at floor level behind, and rows of higher seats around the sides and back, and it's a long way back. Also The Smiths performed in the afternoon, so it was bright inside during their set. I can't believe it was over 20 years ago. I haven't aged a bit!!!

my mate work on the g-mex box office and reckons some bloke with a curtain haircut and scouse accent bought 300 in one go. .

ta

They were not selling tickets at the G-Mex box office.

Brel - yes, Smiths came on around 5pm, no lights needed as it was pure daylight inside.
Did you go to Salford the next day?

The Goat

According to Billy Bud who works at ticketmaster which sells the majority of G-Mex tickets.
Even seetickets' allocation is now sold out until ticketmaster sells all their tickets it's not sold out yet.

I've read the above at least three times and cannot make sense of it.
Is it me?

p.s. I don't expect, or deliver, perfection with every post, but sometimes I wonder if posters ever consider the reader.
Is it me?

It's all standing, so it won't look anything like the Festival of the 10th Summer. Then they had an "arena" of about 3,000 in front of the stage where people stood (surrounded by barriers), with seats at floor level behind, and rows of higher seats around the sides and back, and it's a long way back. Also The Smiths performed in the afternoon, so it was bright inside during their set. I can't believe it was over 20 years ago. I haven't aged a bit!!!

I was second row, loved it, still listen to the Virgin Prunes as well.

Looks like Wembley Arena standing is sold out on both TM and Seetickets.

Ebay hardly doing a roaring trade with many selling at buy it now price of £40.

I reckon if you wait a month you will be able to pick up tckts for some venues for £15 to £20.

They were not selling tickets at the G-Mex box office.

Brel - yes, Smiths came on around 5pm, no lights needed as it was pure daylight inside.
Did you go to Salford the next day?

The Goat

No I didn't go to the Maxwell Hall gig. I was only 16, and got me and my mate onto the guest list for G-mex. So I was made up with that. I know it was 20 years ago, but as I recall it they came on earlier than 5pm. I thought that it was more like 3pm? I remember getting a "pass out" after The Smiths, to go out and get some chips (Remember the Oxford Rd Chippy?). When I arrived back at G-mex The Fall had just started their set. I think that was about 5.30pm? I could be wrong, it was a long time ago.

I was second row, loved it, still listen to the Virgin Prunes as well.

Yes. they were added to the bill at the last minute. Do you remember Gavin Friday eating a bunch of flowers on stage?

Blimey, I dont recall the VP's being there.....
I'm sure The Smiths came on about 5pm..... though like you say, it was 20 years ago and i was drinking their piss poor beers all day! We sneaked our own food in to keep us going the whole day though.
Remember when 60's heroes Wayne Fontana and The Mindbenders came on it was a welcome Q for the bogs.....
Am I corect in saying when Sandie Shaw played she had her own band or was it Johnny, Mike and Andy. I'm sure it was the former.
I also remember the Mexican waves coz i started most of them! (We were sat in the seated area to the right of the stage)
The Goat

I was at this gig as well. I honestly thought The Smiths came on at 6.00pm-ish, but 20 years can play tricks on the mind. It was a momentous day for me as I met Morrissey after the set at the rear of the building, the big regret was that I didn't have a camera with me. It's great to see that other people go way back as well. Cheers. :D

I wish I'd have been able to see The Smiths at the GMEX in '86:( Still, it would have been a tall order for an eight year old living in Rotterdam...

So, what time are all you GMexers with "standing" tix going to start queuing on the day of your gig?

Blimey, I dont recall the VP's being there.....
I'm sure The Smiths came on about 5pm..... though like you say, it was 20 years ago and i was drinking their piss poor beers all day! We sneaked our own food in to keep us going the whole day though.
Remember when 60's heroes Wayne Fontana and The Mindbenders came on it was a welcome Q for the bogs.....
Am I corect in saying when Sandie Shaw played she had her own band or was it Johnny, Mike and Andy. I'm sure it was the former.
I also remember the Mexican waves coz i started most of them! (We were sat in the seated area to the right of the stage)
The Goat

As I recall (oh! the balls getting misty!!) Sandie Shaw did a 2 song set, and it was either to a backing tape (DAT was all the rage), or at most a bloke on acoustic guitar (I don't think it was Marr). There was just so much all crammed into one day, so it's all fuzzy now.

I'm still convinced that it was quite early when The Smiths played. If my memory serves me right (and it's let me down on so many occasions), after The Smiths we had:-

Not in Strict Order

Howard Devoto & The Adultory
The Fall
Pete Shelley
John Cale
New Order

I can't remember if Shaw was before or after, and I'm certain that I've missed others off the list.

Also that day (let me think) ACR, The Virgin Prunes (I think The Worst pulled out & they replaced), Frank Sidebottom, OMD, Wayne Fontana & The Mindbenders, John Cooper Clarke...my minds a blank.

Who else? Oh yes, Derek Hatton!!

Brel
Yes!!!!
The best moment of the day! Derek Hatton!
He was returning the compliment paid by The Smiths / New Order and The Fall for their appearence at the 'From Manchester with Love' benefit gig for Liverpool city council.
He was on crutches and made a gag about meeting Ron Atkinson (the Man U manager at the time) outside the venue. He said 'I offered him a ticket for a tenner and Ron replied ''I'll give you thirty (or some other higher value number) for it'''.
At this point, someone climbed up on to stage and proceeded to give him a few slaps before Hatton was rescued by the bouncers!

The Goat

I was at The Festival of The 10th Summer and With Love from Manchester as well.

I have The Smiths and New Orders sets from FOTTS on cassette as it was broadcast at a later date on Picadilly Radio (as it was then). Is there a way of transferring cassette to CD ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom