Sinead O'Connor mix tape, part 2

And here's part 2 (see part 1).

Part 2: Collaborations, traditional songs & oldies, roots music, and Mother Marie-Bernadette O'Connor (sendspace, 71Mb)

COLLABORATIONS

1. "It's All Good" (Damien Dempsey single, 2003)
Damien has been discussed elsewhere on these forums. Not only was he signed by Morrissey to the Attack label in 2003, but his album (Seize the Day) was produced by Sinead's producer/collaborator/ex-husband John Reynolds, featured Sinead's usual backing musicians, and featured Sinead herself on the backing vocals of 4 songs. After the album was released, Sinead's backing vocals on this song were brought to the foreground so that it sounded like a duet. She liked the song so much that she recorded her own (completely different) version on 2003's She Who Dwells... compilation album.
2. "Release" (album edit) (Afro-Celt Sound System single, 2000)
Sinead has collaborated with dozens of artists, but in the late 90s & early 2000s, she tended to focus on electronica/trance bands like Moby & Massive Attack. Afro-Celt Sound System was on Peter Gabriel's Real World label; Sinead had collaborated with Gabriel himself several times in the early to mid-90s.
3. "1000 Mirrors" (Asian Dub Foundation, 2003)
Sinead didn't write the lyrics, but they sure sound like hers. The song is to be about keeping wives shut up in the house, cut off from the rest of the world.
4. "Harbour" (Moby, 2002)
I was never a Moby fan, so I was shocked to hear this on Sinead's Collaborations album. It's just so dreamlike and peaceful, and I can't stop listening to it.

"TRADITIONAL" Songs & OLDIES

5. "Jackie" (The Lion and the Cobra, 1986)
A bizarre but amazing opening to her debut album, and even though it's her own composition, it sounds like a traditional Irish song. Compare it to Sean-Nos Nua's "Lord Franklin," which was probably the inspiration for it.
6. "I Am Stretched on Your Grave" (I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got, 1990)
Again, not really a traditional song, but it will probably become one. It's in the time-honored Irish tradition of songs sung by, or about, dead people.
7. "Óró, Sé Do Bheatha ‘Bhaile" (Sean-Nos Nua, 2002)
Sung in Irish, this is about a 16th-century female Irish pirate who fended off invaders from France & Spain. It totally rocks.
8. "Paddy's Lament" (Sean-Nos Nua, 2002)
A tragic song about leaving Ireland in the mid-19th century to seek better fortune in America, only to be conscripted by Lincoln to fight for the Union in the Civil War. The ultimate anti-war song.
9. "Success Has Made a Failure of Our Home" (Am I Not Your Girl?, 1992)
A Loretta Lynn cover that's also been covered by many other artists, including Elvis Costello. Think "Golden Lights." Sinead added her own lyrics to the end, including the haunting refrain that became the title of the album.

ROOTS MUSIC (DON'T CALL IT REGGAE!)

10. "Vampire" (Throw Down Your Arms, 2005)
I have no idea what it's about, but it's infectious, and it's become my kids' (ages 5, 2.5, and 2.5) favorite song. I felt compelled to warn my 5 year-old's teacher that if she ever heard my daughter singing about "killing vampires," it's from this song. Nowadays, that's probably enough to get her kicked out of school.
11. "War" (Throw Down Your Arms, 2005)
The Bob Marley song that Sinead famously sang a capella on Saturday Night Live, followed by her ripping up of a certain religious leader's photo. When she finally recorded it 15 years later, she left out the verse about child abuse, which was the whole point of her earlier performance.

SISTER MARIE-BERNADETTE O'CONNOR

12. "The Lamb's Book of Life" (Faith and Courage, 2000)
How are Rastafarianism, Irish history, and Catholicism related? Let Sinead tell you.
13. "Guide Me God" (single edit) (Ghostland, Ghostland, 1998)
Ghostland was a band made up of Sinead's backing musicians, but they invited Sinead to sing lead on several of their songs. WTF? Anyway, it's excellent.
14. "Something Beautiful" (Theology, 2007)
Just like the title says. An expression of pure love for Jah, or whoever Sinead's dieu du jour is called.
15. "If You Had a Vineyard" (Theology, 2007)
A song about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, although you have to listen very carefully to see why. Has an amazing passage in the middle where she sings in a single, non-stop wave.
16. "I Don't Know How to Love Him" (rock mix) (promo single, 2007)
An Andrew Lloyd Webber/Tim Rice cover, originally from Jesus Christ Superstar. Sinead has said in interviews that this has been her theme song since she was 8 or so, and only just now got around to recording her own version.
17. "The Glory of Jah" (Theology, 2007)
An all-out paean to the Big Figment in the Sky. At least it rocks.

Back
Top Bottom