Morrissey Central "SONGS UNSUNG (Part 1) “Action Is My Middle Name”" (May 2, 2023)

That song is on the Morrissey 25 Live At Hollywood High bluray which I bought back around 2013. I always liked that song and assumed somehow Moz got fed up of it and didn't release it on the next album because of the time gap. It's a catchy song.

He looks a bit fed up with it already in that video. I wonder what the kid in the audience made of the lyrics! Musically, it starts well but is too plodding, neither danceable nor relaxing. Has anyone identified the drumface image yet - looks like a US cop maybe trying to talk down a roof jumper?

That Janice Long session was one of the low points of his whole career. Action is okay but not lead single material, but Kid's A Looker and People Are the Same are among the worst tracks he has ever done. And that trio he chose to preview when shopping around for a contract. How bizarre that there were no takers. Art-Hounds on the other hand was great and Scandinavia good.

i was getting ready to go to the dundee show when the four new songs were put on here for download,had to get them on my phone for the train to glasgow then to dundee,great concert,those were great days to be an M fan.
"those were great days to be an M fan."

Yes they were. Not so much nowadays.

In the summer of 2011 @ the Citadelle in Berlin/Spandau everything was still OK somehow and I was screaming along to the three new songs (OK during Scandinavia I got myself some more beer) at the top of my lungs. So you can't say they were "unsung" after all. Can you?

+

Today I like to sing "@ACTON is my middle name" when this little gem pops up here and there on my hard drive.

Last edited:
So, could this veiled statement (action/can't waste time anymore/unsung songs) mean:
'I'm done with record companies, & have finally decided to self-release my songs, while I still can'?
(I've avoided any morbid connotations).
Yeah I don't get it. This song has been sung.

That Janice Long session was one of the low points of his whole career. Action is okay but not lead single material, but Kid's A Looker and People Are the Same are among the worst tracks he has ever done. And that trio he chose to preview when shopping around for a contract. How bizarre that there were no takers. Art-Hounds on the other hand was great and Scandinavia good.
Of all the songs he could have played he chose «People Are The Same Everywhere» at Nobel Peace Prize concert. Probably the biggest audience he’d ever had. Gotta love the guy!

Of all the songs he could have played he chose «People Are The Same Everywhere» at Nobel Peace Prize concert. Probably the biggest audience he’d ever had. Gotta love the guy!
It was the best of the 4 new ones then (not now). A natural choice and a corker asswell.

This song is merely a rewriting of "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris", the choruses of both are virtually identical melodically
Wasn't Uncleskinny, somehow privileged insider, a moderator for quite a while too, after he 'turned'? Which seems odd. Whether Morrissey-solo sees itself more as a fan site or as a business benefitting from Morrissey's name, would also influence stories carried and how that's done. Presumably t hasn't earned a reputation for being the most dysfunctional website on the internet for nothing, regarding which, quite a few posters have apparently been deleted for saying less. Sometimes less is more. Before anyone gets carried away, here are 2 jokes.

A Zen disciple goes up to a hot-dog vendor in New York City’s Central Park and says, “Make me one with everything.”

A Philadelphia rabbi was asked if he knew that many of his members had become Quakers. “Oh, yes,” he replied. “some of my best Jews are Friends.”

I'll go now, because action is also my middle name :tiphat:

All J. Long versions released, but only the promo below features all 3 as digital (People... only came out on PD vinyl).

View attachment 90791

The Studio In Session/Temple Lane versions are obviously on DVD.
Regards,
FWD.

Is a rip of this promo available anywhere? Or have we archived it?

Last edited:
Action only in Europe... the action in South America includes Argentina obviously. By the time Moz....
Para cuando ?

That Janice Long session was one of the low points of his whole career. Action is okay but not lead single material, but Kid's A Looker and People Are the Same are among the worst tracks he has ever done.
Agree - I can still remember the crushing disappointment when that session was broadcast. Quality control was non existent at this point. :(

Welcome to the club of the lame Greg Davies. You'll be safe and warm there.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom