Strangeways here we come - The Smyths Manchester 12th

Smythssinger

Friday 12th March: Ritz Ballroom Manchester

The Smyths and REorder provide a classic Manchester night at the very place that both The Smiths and New Order, themselves, played.

Tickets are available (priced £10) via the following link:
http://www.thenextbestfest.co.uk

Other Smyths shows in March:
Saturday 13th March - TAMWORTH, The Assembly Rooms
Saturday 20th March - ST ALBANS, The Horn Reborn with RE:Order
Saturday 27th March - EDINBURGH, Studio 24

www.thesmyths.net

Here are the timings for the show:

Doors: 7.15 p.m.
REorder 8.15 - 9.30
The Smyths 9.45 - 11 p.m

Very strong advance ticket sales of nearly 300 so far - big crowd anticipated on the night...what a "homecoming"

Oh Manchester..so much to answer for! Looking forward to seeing you Phil.

got my ticket
& looking forward to it
and it's my birthday too
so two fridays out in a row
please sing 'unhappy birthday' for me

We'll be treading where the greater steps of Morrissey, Marr, Rourke and Joyce once trod...we'll strive to be worthy.

Graham.

Graham....
I hate to be pedantic......but......:thumb:
According to the excellent book 'Morrissey's Manchester' and the equally splendid book ''Panic On The Streets'' (remember that one:guitar:) Andy Rourke wasn't in the band when they played The Ritz, but it was Dale Hibbert;)
As a reward for supplying this info, can I be your James Maker, and appear on stage wearing high heels etc and shake maracas?:lbf:
See you there

Jukebox Jury

Graham....
According to the excellent book 'Morrissey's Manchester' and the equally splendid book ''Panic On The Streets'' (remember that one:guitar:) Andy Rourke wasn't in the band when they played The Ritz, but it was Dale Hibbert;)
As a reward for supplying this info, can I be your James Maker, and appear on stage wearing high heels etc and shake maracas?:lbf:
See you there

Jukebox Jury

errr...
thank you but NO

You'd look good in high heels.

Yes, but not in high heels.

I'm also going to Wigan on Saturday.

Graham....
See you there

Jukebox Jury
Should you come dressed in such a manner, how could we refuse? The attention to details is both admired and appreciated. See you tomorrow....

Just got back...........
Bloody great, top night...........
Re-Order opened and what a great set..... Blue Monday, Crystal, Ceremony, Bizarre Love Triangle, Perfect Kiss..... all there..... followed by the likes of True Faith, Regret and Temptation..... two Joy Division songs - Atmosphere and Love will tear us apart and the set ended with a friend of the band jumping up on stage to join them in World In Motion:guitar:

Then The Smyths came on and it was indeed a blistering set.....
All the classics were there..... and one solo song - Throwing my arms around Paris. Seems like time was defeating the band and what became the intro to Irish Blood, English Heart turned into something else instead.
Two song encore......There is a light... followed by Bigmouth.....

A BRILLIANT night......
The Smyths are indeed the BEST Smiths tribute band in the world:guitar::cool:

Jukebox Jury

PS Happy belated birthday to Lazy Dyke... was her birthday yesterday too:thumb:

Got to agree. It was a fantastic night and what a setlist. The crowd seemed to be a mix of die hard fans and students ready to be converted. They are a great tribute band. Well worth the money.

Setlist for anyone interested and from blured memory (And in semi corrrect order)

Hedmaster Ritual, Queen is Dead, This charming man, What difference does it make, Sheila take a bow, Youve got everything now, Heaven knows Im miseable now, Panic, William, Cemetry Gates, Still Ill, Paris, How soon is now, I know its over, Ask, Shoplifters, Hand in Glove//There is a light, Bigmouth

May have missed one or two.............

Got to agree. It was a fantastic night and what a setlist. The crowd seemed to be a mix of die hard fans and students ready to be converted. They are a great tribute band. Well worth the money.

Setlist for anyone interested and from blured memory (And in semi corrrect order)

Hedmaster Ritual, Queen is Dead, This charming man, What difference does it make, Sheila take a bow, Youve got everything now, Heaven knows Im miseable now, Panic, William, Cemetry Gates, Still Ill, Paris, How soon is now, I know its over, Ask, Shoplifters, Hand in Glove//There is a light, Bigmouth

May have missed one or two.............

I think that is my 5th time seeing them, but first for maybe 2 years. I dont know what it was, my friend agreed too, that they seem to have just stepped up a gear.....
The Ritz is a big venue and I was a bit worried that if there was a small crowd it would not be the best of nights but the place was very decently attended and my fears were swept aside.....the atmoshere was great for both bands.
I've previously seen them in much smaller venues, smaller crowds so the sound I suspect was smaller too. Last night the stage, crowd, sound...everything was just the next level up and was very good.
Graham even managed to slip in a sly plug for one of my books:thumb: and then name checked me too:blushing: later on. But that's not why it was a great night.
Come back soon:guitar::guitar:

Jukebox Jury

I'm humbled by the words that appear above...Thanks to everyone who came to the Ritz. It was quite a night for us and I don't mind saying I felt the weight of history and expectation....but the crowd were amazing. We did indeed have to cull the set list due to time pressures so I'm glad that we managed to please with the 20 song set that we squeezed into 70 minutes!

I'm delighted to say that we have been invited back for a second show later this year...it's taken time but we've found our home in Manchester and it couldn't be a better one.

For those who like to know such things, here was last night's set:
Headmaster Ritual/The Queen is Dead/What difference does it make?/This Charming Man/Heaven knows I'm miserable now/Youv'e got everything now/William/Panic/Cemetry Gates/Sheila take a bow/ I'm throwing my arms around Paris/How soon is now?/Still Ill/Handsome Devil/I know it's over/Ask/Shoplifters of the world unite/Hand in Glove/There's a light that never goes out/Bigmouth strikes again

Again, thank you everyone. Oh Manchester.....

Graham - The Smyths.

Back
Top Bottom