'That's How People Grow Up' - Zane Lowe Premiere...

Reading this thread: Seems like this hasn't been well-received by the hard-core fan base. Can't see any real howler in the lyrics. 'Sweetie' -just a 'term of endearment', - surely? Hadn't even considered it being silly or crass till I read this thread.

If the reaction to the production is generally negative, then I'm sure Jerry Finn will change direction & use different 'sonic templates' for the album? If this sells well as a single, gets lots of radio: Then I guess he'll feel vindicated.
It's standard 'radio-friendly' format: intro - verse - chorus - verse -chorus -bridge-etc, - but surely that's deliberate? Hopefully, some serious experimentation / ground-breaking developments on the new album. I think Morrissey's vocal performance is well balanced between gutsy and sardonic. I've played my lo-fi radio version 30 times, so I guess I must like it! Not in my Top 10 or anything but fine as a 'holding operation'.

I think the song is quite poor by his standards.
The verses are powerful, if slightly repetitive but the chorus is absoloutley dire. It really does sound like some ancient band releasing a song to disguise their desire to just play world tours with old hits :p

I'm not saying he isn't capable of writing great songs anymore, because he is. However, this song is really poor.

All You Need Is Me, is though, quite a cool tune.

Oh and this sweetie fixation must stop soon enough. Please.

One of Morrissey's finest solo moments, Used To Be A Sweet Boy, managed to refrain from using Sweetie. SO WHY NOW?

He does get on these kicks doesn't he? "Mooning" was very big in his life circa-You Are The Quarry, now "Sweetie!" If he could somehow combine the two, then he might be on to something.

I said it before, and I'll say it again.

Ringleader, for all it's faults, was a closure-album. Songs like "Dear God", "Future", "Pigsty", "At Last I Am Born"...they end the Morrissey saga in predictably resolved fashion by finally proclaiming: yes, I've found happiness! Now, what is there left?

In all cases though folks, one truly startling fact remains: the music is better than the lyrics. This, from an artist of Morrissey's past calibre, is worrying.

I agree with the the argument you make regarding the lyrics of the new songs. It is worrying, but I guess I felt the same way around "Southpaw," yet he came back with several good to great albums. So, I'm not hitting the panic button. I think the latest brouhaha over racism might provide some much needed lyrical fuel.

Regarding Rott, I disagree to the extent that Morrissey has seemingly come to terms with his sexuality which was deeply intertwined with his happiness, despite any protests to the contrary. I don't know you should say, "yes, I've found happiness! Now, what is there left?" Rather he has found some inner peace, what is NEXT?

Originally Posted by Roma De Moz
I said it before, and I'll say it again.

Ringleader, for all it's faults, was a closure-album. Songs like "Dear God", "Future", "Pigsty", "At Last I Am Born"...they end the Morrissey saga in predictably resolved fashion by finally proclaiming: yes, I've found happiness! Now, what is there left?

In all cases though folks, one truly startling fact remains: the music is better than the lyrics. This, from an artist of Morrissey's past calibre, is worrying.

I agree with the the argument you make regarding the lyrics of the new songs. It is worrying, but I guess I felt the same way around "Southpaw," yet he came back with several good to great albums. So, I'm not hitting the panic button. I think the latest brouhaha over racism might provide some much needed lyrical fuel.

Regarding Rott, I disagree to the extent that Morrissey has seemingly come to terms with his sexuality which was deeply intertwined with his happiness, despite any protests to the contrary. I don't know you should say, "yes, I've found happiness! Now, what is there left?" Rather he has found some inner peace, what is NEXT?

Both good comments.
The lyrics are abysmal and it lacks a decent melody. At least AYNIM has a bit of humour in it...
I listened to "Southpaw Grammar" the first time last weekend and didn't think that could be worsted. Wrong.

Just listened to the studio version. I feel ill. I'm off to refresh my ears with a real song. :(:(

Morrissey can do better, and I expect he will.

Uggghhh

i agree with the statement about ringleader of the tormentors being a closure album. it's scary thinking about that though, i'm gonna be distraught the day he decides to retire, well from the music at least.

Oh, come now. I don't think Morrissey will ever be able to beat "Best Friend on the Payroll."

Mercifully, it has faded fast from my memory and rather than put it to the test I'll be more than pleased to take your word on that one.
It's a bit premature to put THPGU on the GHs I think. Will probably splash in at no.18 and sink without trace the next week.

Mercifully, it has faded fast from my memory and rather than put it to the test I'll be more than pleased to take your word on that one.
It's a bit premature to put THPGU on the GHs I think. Will probably splash in at no.18 and sink without trace the next week.

How ironic would it be if Decca marketed the hell out of it, and it came in as a surprise No. 1? It would definitely be a sign that if the world isn't ending, it's on the horizon!

It is better than I could have have hoped, Finn's production is more bearable than Visconti's, it is a pleasure to hear the difference (even if some songs on ROTT were fine, like "life is a pigsty", the first two songs...). I like Morrissey's voice better here; you can hear it clearly.
The problem are the lyrics. They could have been better, what were you thinking, Morrissey?
I hate "all you need is me". It is a shame it is on the album. :eek:
I like "Paris" a lot more.

i think all you need is me is ten times better. why did zane lowe play it anyway? it sticks out like a sore thumb on his track listing. dosen't seem like the sort of thing he'd play at all.

i think all you need is me is ten times better. why did zane lowe play it anyway? it sticks out like a sore thumb on his track listing. dosen't seem like the sort of thing he'd play at all.

He'd play? djs don't pick what to play. Too much money involved in a radio show to allow a dj freedom to choose. get with the 21st century.

Morrisseys a popular act so i'm not surprised if Zane Lowe plays him. Maybe you wouldn't hear him in the daytime shows though....

virgin radio tend to play the smiths sometimes. last night was the first time i've heard any solo stuff on radio though.

You know despite the criticisms applied to this track I did some testing if you will by sampling this song with some non-Morrissey/ Casual Morrissey fans and by and large people really liked the track. So maybe its more doesnt please the hardcore base

I happened to know Zane back when we were teenagers and I can tell you he has always been a big Smiths/Moz fan.

I think I can even remember discussing the November Spawned a Monster video with him. He plays Morrissey because he is a big fan, simple as that.

Although not sure if Zane really believes that this is the 'hottest song in the world.'

I happened to know Zane back when we were teenagers and I can tell you he has always been a big Smiths/Moz fan.

I think I can even remember discussing the November Spawned a Monster video with him. He plays Morrissey because he is a big fan, simple as that.

Although not sure if Zane really believes that this is the 'hottest song in the world.'

Wow, you're a frind of Zane.
Morrissey appeared his and John Peel in May 2004, seems long time ago.

Wow, you're a frind of Zane.
Morrissey appeared his and John Peel in May 2004, seems long time ago.

hi kewpie,

i wouldn't say friend of zane, more we knew each other around 15-18, had a similiar group of friends, played in a few sports teams together that sort of thing.

the one thing that stood out for me at the time was when i used to go on and on and on about The Smiths he was the only guy i knew at the time who even knew who The Smiths were! So we'd spend a large amount of the time talking about music.

The only reason I mention it is because I can say he is a genuine and long term fan of Morrissey's work.

hi kewpie,

i wouldn't say friend of zane, more we knew each other around 15-18, had a similiar group of friends, played in a few sports teams together that sort of thing.

the one thing that stood out for me at the time was when i used to go on and on and on about The Smiths he was the only guy i knew at the time who even knew who The Smiths were! So we'd spend a large amount of the time talking about music.

The only reason I mention it is because I can say he is a genuine and long term fan of Morrissey's work.

Thank you very much for sharing your lovely story.
It's good to know Zane really likes The Smiths although he might not think That's How People Grow Up isn't the hottest single of the world.

Hope in January or later in 2008 Morrissey will be on his show again. :)

Back
Top Bottom