The Godfather Of Emo?

morrissey sings beautifully, a modern day sinatra, a timeless voice- if he inspired emo, we would not have a bunch of "vocalists" sounding like they have a large mallet gradually inserted deeper, deeper into their anus. if they took anything from him, every song would not contain cliched phrases of explaining their love, or hate for a person. if morrissey inspired them, they would have a sense of style, and would not be eagerly awaiting Toddler World to throw a big sale so they can stock up on kid jeans and cropped shirts.

its funny, i have a friend that loves " indie" music and is really plugged into the music scene of today. he is always telling me about bands that sound like the cure or sound like depechemode.. i dont get this , if i wanted to hear stuff that sounds like that, why not just listen to the original band? its not like fall out boy or my chemical romance are gonna be better than the older stuff.. rather pointless imo....

any yes, the term emo is retarded ..as is the term goth for that matter...

The only band that sounded like Depeche Mode was Cause & Effect...and look how long they lasted...

Could Martin L. Gore be the godfather of emo? Hmm.

depeche2.jpg

Ummmmm....She's Dressed In Black Again

You're the man Martin, but please put down the guitar..and go back to the synths already....

Last edited:
There was a little blurb about the Clearwater show in my local paper today, and it referred to Moz as "The Godfather Of Emo." I've never really understood what emo means. I know some of the bands associated with emo, though I don't know their music. And I can recognize the fashion style of some people who are into emo, but I still don't know what the genre is and what makes it unique from other types of rock. Is this description of Moz accurate, or is it an insult?

It's an insult!
As a massive Cure fan, this also makes me shudder, but do you think many people associate the Cure with emo???? :(

Last edited:
Of course. At heart he's all sweetness. That's why he chose a dove to decapitate.

Maybe I meant Screamo. I don't know. But he's been telling us how sad he feels for a long time. I don't really know what qualifies as Emo but doesn't it sound more like Judas Priest than Morrissey?

Re: The Godfather Of Emo? UNDERDOG

real "emo" started in the 1990's with bands like mineral and sunny day real estate and such...what emo is referred to now is shitty bands like my chemical romance, who are just products of the music industry which needed another trend to breed becuase people caught on to previous trends like boy bands and shit like that...
Well you are off by about a decade. Emo actually was first coined as a phrase to describe Washington DC Post-Hardcore bands like Embrace, Rites Of Spring, Soulside, Gray Matter,etc....These were bands that sought to reclaim the thuggishness and machismo of the local HC scene by creating a new brand of "punk" if you will that focused on personal politics and emotions...hence EMO. The bands hated the tag.
Later on it was used to describe offshoot bands like Hoover, Heroin, Sparkmarker...other bands that were from the hardcore scene in the US.
Much later it was used to describe bands like Mineral I suppose.....

This is what I popped into this thread to say, pretty much, that emo is a bastard offspring of hardcore, itself a gross bastardization of Punk, a FAR superior genre. Emo fixiates on loneliness, despair and angst, hence invoking Morrissey. However, this is historically, as the gentleman pointed out for me, inaccurate TOTALLY. Moreover, I think anyone comparing the movielife or simple plan or my chemical romance to Morrissey in all his super-coolness is grounds for summary execution. Morrissey makes ART, gerard way (Why do I know this fools' name???) creates SHIT, like any other form of animal life, only HIS excrement is priced to own and availible at retailers near you.

depeche2.jpg

Ummmmm....She's Dressed In Black Again

You're the man Martin, but please put down the guitar..and go back to the synths already....

Wow...a Martin Gore sighting today...Nice. I would have preffered a non nipple shot. :)

Wow...a Martin Gore sighting today...Nice. I would have preffered a non nipple shot. :)

Haha....I tried to find a photo of him in a dress..but 10 minutes was too long to be spending looking

This is what I popped into this thread to say, pretty much, that emo is a bastard offspring of hardcore, itself a gross bastardization of Punk, a FAR superior genre. Emo fixiates on loneliness, despair and angst, hence invoking Morrissey. However, this is historically, as the gentleman pointed out for me, inaccurate TOTALLY. Moreover, I think anyone comparing the movielife or simple plan or my chemical romance to Morrissey in all his super-coolness is grounds for summary execution. Morrissey makes ART, gerard way (Why do I know this fools' name???) creates SHIT, like any other form of animal life, only HIS excrement is priced to own and availible at retailers near you.

PUNK ROCKS and i have to say I can never get enough of flogging molly.

I just want to reiterate my feelings that Morrissey is NOT emo its just another bunch of idiots forced to see the show to write for a paper, thinking he's mopey

PUNK ROCKS and i have to say I can never get enough of flogging molly.

I just want to reiterate my feelings that Morrissey is NOT emo its just another bunch of idiots forced to see the show to write for a paper, thinking he's mopey

Punk began in the 70's...not the 90's...

Hence, anybody who thinks Green Day is Punk...needs a swift kick in the balls

I hate even the word "emo". When I was in high school, all the chunky* freshmen girls painted their nails black, wore Hottopic pants, and listened to My Chemical Romance, and called themselves "emo".

Oh, and they didn't know who Morrissey was. My best friend and I were pretty much the only people in our school who did. What a sad world.

*No discrimination, they just all happened to be chunky.

I hate even the word "emo". When I was in high school, all the chunky* freshmen girls painted their nails black, wore Hottopic pants, and listened to My Chemical Romance, and called themselves "emo".

Oh, and they didn't know who Morrissey was. My best friend and I were pretty much the only people in our school who did. What a sad world.

*No discrimination, they just all happened to be chunky.

I was refered to as Morrissey in high School...although I was a good foot shorter

Punk began in the 70's...not the 90's...

Hence, anybody who thinks Green Day is Punk...needs a swift kick in the balls

no green day is pretending to be emo now i find it humorous really how chameleonlike they've become.

i didnt say when it started dude i just said i like it AND i love FM veddy much

Back
Top Bottom