The Nick Drake Thread

HIM

i like nick drake but i only have 1 l.p.

... so there it is.

Re: i like nick drake but i only have 1 l.p.

I've been worse, thanks. You?

i'm pretty good. just listening to nick drake and enjoying it. he really is good. do you like him?

i'm pretty good. just listening to nick drake and enjoying it. he really is good. do you like him?

I don't have much, but I like what I have a lot. I'm not sure why I've never bothered to get more. Perhaps I should? Apparently they've just found some "new" songs.

Have you heard Alexi Murdoch? He's similar, and has the advantage of being still alive (last I checked).

Last edited by a moderator:

When you say Alexi Murdoch is 'similiar' don't you mean 'soulless copy of'?

Anyway I've never really understood why Nick Drake was elevated into some godhead for folk. Oh yeah, it's the wonderful story of him being unsuccessful and so misunderstood and then killing himself and finding acclaim from beyond the grave. Ahhh, isn't that sweet?

He's basically the Kurt Cobain for the chattering classes. Idiots.

The best 'folk' album in recent times is Devendra Banhart's 'Black Babies'. It's apparently recorded on a pocket tape recorder but if anything it augments rather than subtracts from the genuinely strange and spooky atmosphere and white folk music needs to be strange and spooky (just as the best black folk music was/is) or else it completely misses the point. I defy anyone not to get a little shiver during 'Old Thunderbird' which is all Appalachian mist, dark pines and fearful presence.

If you absolutely insist on seeking out a modern Nick Drake copy then, Jose Gonzalez is probably the best of the bunch, not that that says much.

Earlier in the year Alasdair Roberts released a pretty good 'real' folk album (most of what is described as folk these days is just bad indie, played poorly on acoustic guitar by someone with no friends, or who, alternatively, wants all the pussy to himself) called 'The Amber Gatherers'.

I don't have much, but I like what I have a lot. I'm not sure why I've never bothered to get more. Perhaps I should? Apparently they've just found some "new" songs.

Have you heard Alexi Murdoch? He's similar, and has the advantage of being still alive (last I checked).

i only have one album ("pink moon"). i got it nearly two years ago and thought it was okay, at first. it really grew on me, though. don't really know anything about him, apart from the fact that he's dead, 'n' stuff; i just like his tunes and the sound of his voice. i haven't heard alexi murdoch. good?

When you say Alexi Murdoch is 'similiar' don't you mean 'soulless copy of'?

Anyway I've never really understood why Nick Drake was elevated into some godhead for folk. Oh yeah, it's the wonderful story of him being unsuccessful and so misunderstood and then killing himself and finding acclaim from beyond the grave. Ahhh, isn't that sweet?

He's basically the Kurt Cobain for the chattering classes. Idiots.

The best 'folk' album in recent times is Devendra Banhart's 'Black Babies'. It's apparently recorded on a pocket tape recorder but if anything it augments rather than subtracts from the genuinely strange and spooky atmosphere and white folk music needs to be strange and spooky (just as the best black folk music was/is) or else it completely misses the point. I defy anyone not to get a little shiver during 'Old Thunderbird' which is all Appalachian mist, dark pines and fearful presence.

If you absolutely insist on seeking out a modern Nick Drake copy then, Jose Gonzalez is probably the best of the bunch, not that that says much.

Earlier in the year Alasdair Roberts released a pretty good 'real' folk album (most of what is described as folk these days is just bad indie, played poorly on acoustic guitar by someone with no friends, or who, alternatively, wants all the pussy to himself) called 'The Amber Gatherers'.

i bet you're talking rubbish.

i only have one album ("pink moon"). i got it nearly two years ago and thought it was okay, at first. it really grew on me, though. don't really know anything about him, apart from the fact that he's dead, 'n' stuff; i just like his tunes and the sound of his voice. i haven't heard alexi murdoch. good?

You only got "Pink Moon"?
You should get "Five Leaves Left" and "Bryter Layter".

You only got "Pink Moon"?
You should get "Five Leaves Left" and "Bryter Layter".

thank you, kewpie. i will look for them in all good stockists, soon.

Bryter Layter is the masterpiece - the must-have Nick Drake album. I can't recommend it enough.

Five Leaves Left I can do without.

i bet you're talking rubbish.

Just keep thinking that.

I think so.

Thanks!

Just keep thinking that.

Can I, also?

I'm just stopping by to say:
1. Nick Drake IS genius. To hell with everyone who thinks he isn't.
2. That's an absolutely wonderful avatar, Alcoholic Afternoons. Who is it?

2. That's an absolutely wonderful avatar, Alcoholic Afternoons. Who is it?

Thanks! It's John Bonham.

On the Nick Drake topic, here's the VW commercial featuring Pink Moon. I'm sure "real" Nick Drake fans hate it ("I liked him first!" etc etc), but it was my first exposure to his music.

Last edited by a moderator:

hazey jane 2 is a gentle anthem for all the isolated loners of the world over and its so cheerful sounding too. you can dance to it. just like of steves songs!

nick_drake.jpg

Back
Top Bottom