The Queen Is Dead in Brett Anderson's Favourite 13 Albums

tender_hooligan

"[...] Obviously Morrissey is known as a great lyricist but I think he's probably the greatest lyricist. I don't think Dylan is in the same league, with his songs about the 'Jack of Hearts' and things like that. Some of his lyrics are great, but they're not as powerful as Morrissey's. He had a brilliantly balanced dance between the wit and darkness. [...]"

More @ thequietus.com: There's A Song Playing: Brett Anderson's Favourite 13 Albums

the_smiths_1317826828_resize_460x400.jpg

Last edited:
"Brett will never forgive God for not making him Angie Bowie". Still funny after all these years :lbf:

"Brett will never forgive God for not making him Angie Bowie". Still funny after all these years :lbf:

Rather rich of SPM to say that, however, considering his own fandom in the 70s. The point probably stands.

I love Brett, although I confess his solo work doesn't blow me away. Dog Man Star pretty much is a lifelong get out of jail free card.

Brett has a wonderful sense of humor. I love his words and lyrics.
Don`t youy laugh when you`re listening Trash or My Insatiable One.

He's chosen really good records: The Queen is dead, Never mind the..., Low.
He really knows where the good music is from.

I don't have anything strong against Dylan, but I've never understood the deification and the adoration. Phil Ochs said more in one song than Dylan did in an entire discography.

Anyway, no surprise that The Queen Is Dead is listed in Anderson's favorites. You'd have to be dead not to love it. I'd put early Suede up there with the best of The Smiths.

Well...close, anyway.

I love Brett, although I confess his solo work doesn't blow me away.

It doesn't need to. To The Birds, So Young, My Insatiable One, High Rising, Stay Together, Where The Pigs Don't Fly, The Living Dead....those songs say it all.

Back
Top Bottom