This children's novel (series) is going to be huge

A

Anonymous

A F Steadman's Skandar and the Unicorn Thief

"Steadman’s expectations were low but the response was instant, rapidly escalating into a multi-publisher auction won by Simon & Schuster UK and US in what is believed to be a world-breaking deal for a children’s début author. “It was amazing. I couldn’t comprehend it at the time,” she recalls. Skandar has now sold in 34 territories and a major film deal was struck with Sony Pictures—Steadman will act as an executive producer."

"Review: Skandar and the Unicorn Thief by A.F. Steadman

In a way I’m quite chuffed with myself after reading Skandar and the Unicorn Thief, because since hearing about it a year or so ago, I’ve had a really good feeling about it, and it’s always nice to be proved right! It was difficult not to be excited about it, given the hype and praise it received from publishers post-auction. There was, naturally, a part of me that was afraid it wouldn’t live up to the hype, but that niggling worry was promptly dispelled after reading the first few chapters. Skandar is something very special indeed.

What struck me instantly about Skandar was how quickly I engaged with the writing style. When you’re reading a good book, you forget you’re reading; you forget you’re turning pages every couple of minutes, and that your eyes are dancing down a page at the speed of light. The world of Skandar and the Unicorn Thief was so immediately convincing and beautifully described, and the characters and the world came to life in my mind within minutes. The style is perfect for children and adults alike; it strikes a balance between description and pace, meaning it lies somewhere between Amari and the Night Brothers and Nevermoor. It’s pacy without being too sparse on detail, but just descriptive enough that you get a feel for the large cast of characters and what makes them tick, and for a world where the presence of unicorns is as normal as the air we breathe.

The worldbuilding is immense; as well as being beautifully described, the logistics behind a society accustomed to unicorns has clearly been well mapped out. I was fascinated with how the Hatching Exam played out in Skandar’s school, and with how children his age were given their unicorns, and how that came about in a society modelled on the UK. I think it takes a lot for worldbuilding and description to be as interesting and pacy as the plot itself, and it’s not often I find myself wishing for an entire guidebook on the island and all the unicorns to read in my spare time. Needless to say, I was fascinated by literally everything, and I wanted the book to be twice the length!

I also absolutely adored the relationships between all the characters; the friendships were adorable, and the characters themselves were three-dimensional, all with their own endearing qualities and flaws. What really stood out for me, however, was Skandar’s relationship with his sister, Kenna. I so rarely find authentic sibling relationships in books, so I was really quite moved by their interactions. Kenna’s jealousy at anyone who was lucky enough to have a unicorn was raw and relatable (I’m jealous myself!) and all of their scenes together felt more mature written than a lot of MG fiction. Skandar himself is also an incredibly maturely written character, and he endears himself to readers immediately. He’s by no means your average chosen one, as he’s genuinely not the most talented person in the book, nor is he a consistent front-runner, which was so refreshing to read. Though it does make rooting for him that little bit more nail-biting!

The unicorn–human relationships are the star of the show for me, though. The bond between rider and animal is very reminiscent of Philip Pullman’s dæmons, especially as I found myself wishing I had a unicorn and an allied element as vehemently as I wished I had a dæmon when I was 11 years old. The bonds tied the whole narrative together well, and were a lovely constant both for the characters and the reader. Interestingly, though, the bonds weren’t what every character wanted, which was one of many neat little twists that sets this book apart from the masses.

Overall, I couldn’t fault it! If anything, I wish it had been even longer, as I’m already dying to return to Steadman’s outstanding fantasy world. I couldn’t put it down, and I’ve not stopped thinking about the characters or the twisty plot since. I think Skandar is something very unique and special; adults and parents will love it, but I guarantee that children will be absolutely obsessed.

Overall rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐️"

That sounds so shitty

Annabel Steadman's literary agent is Sam Copeland at RCW Literary Agency.

If you are writing a book (fiction, Non-fiction) check out their submissions page:

Can you imagine what Annabel Steadman must feel like right now? Just read this:

That would ne so embarrassing to have your life's work be a book about unicorns

Hey rifke, if you want your novel to sell, you’re gonna need to have Neil riding a unicorn, or some stupid shit like that. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom