Uncut 500 Greatest Albums of the 80s (Jan’24)

The new Uncut ranks the 500 greatest albums of the 80s. All five Smiths albums make the top 100, with two of them making the top 10.
Typically, Morrissey is ignored…

Full top-10:
1. Kate Bush – Hounds Of Love – 1985
2. Talking Heads – Remain In Light – 1980
3. Joy Division – Closer – 1980
4. Kraftwerk – Computer World – 1980
5. De La Soul – 3 Feet High And Rising – 1989
6. Prince – Sign O’ The Times – 1987
7. The Smiths – The Queen Is Dead – 1986
8. My Bloody Valentine – Isn’t Anything – 1988
9. Talk Talk – Sprit Of Eden – 1988
10. The Smiths – Hatful Of Hollow – 1984

full

Last edited by a moderator:
They’re great album songs, and I always look at Viva Hate as one whole song, and find it criminal if it’s not listened to from start to finish in one sitting. It really is a classic, the original version of course.

It’s our Dark Side of the Moon, lol!
What a great comparison! Listening to Viva really is a music experience like Dark Side. From beginning to end it feels like a journey into Moz's inner psyche after the shock end to The Smiths. It seems as though he's trying to process the trauma by being more introspective, vulnerable and personal than ever.

The new Uncut ranks the 500 greatest albums of the 80s. All five Smiths albums make the top 100, with two of them making the top 10.
Typically, Morrissey is ignored…
Perhaps Morrissey-Solo overlooked the fact that twelve of Morrissey's thirteen studio albums were released in the 1990s, making them categorically irrelevant for an 80s list.

I’m really not that fond of Viva Hate and never was. It felt like a big letdown after Strangeways. Yes, there are some great songs on it, but some really poor ones as well.

Dial-a, I don’t Mind, Bengali and Guillotine are nothing more than filler. He should have used the Sunday B-sides instead. Then Viva Hate would have been stellar.

Sorry, just noticed that the first Big Country album isn't even on the list: that's a f***ing shocking omission, simply because they were never considered "cool".

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom