Vhs

Maverick

Maverick
Does anyone else still love VHS?

For me, it is still the ultimate format - it was what was going when i was growing up and getting into films, and it will always hold a special place in my heart.

What with car boots & charity shops, you can pick up classics - and i mean classics - for as little as 25p!

VHS must never die - it is far superior to blue-ray, for instance.

No i'm deadly serious - VHS against blue-ray is to the purist what a 7" is compared to a downlaod.

VHS has more soul.

that is totally ridiculous. film purists want to see the crisp look of the film, not the grainy shit of a battered twenty year old vhs.

For me, it is still the ultimate format - it was what was going when i was growing up and getting into films, and it will always hold a special place in my heart.

What with car boots & charity shops, you can pick up classics - and i mean classics - for as little as 25p!

VHS is nice and everything but nothing beats a good chalk buffalo scrawled on the wall of a firelit cave.

No, it upsets me to think yet another format will be wiped out in years to come, "Yep lets move on and forget everything we've made, get rid of the old shit, time is money!" i'm definitely keeping my VCR and vids, apart from them being collectable in years to come (I'm not keeping them for purely that reason though) I'll still be able to watch video's that could never be on DVD or Blu Ray.

There's something very nostalgic about putting on a video, it doesn't come as easy accessable as DVD's etc...You can't buy them in the shops obviously you have to search for classics, and that's when you appreciate and cherish them.

I'm all with you Maverick, I'll be sad too see it when vids are totally gone, along with the next generation of new formats.

No, it upsets me to think yet another format will be wiped out in years to come, "Yep lets move on and forget everything we've made, get rid of the old shit, time is money!" i'm definitely keeping my VCR and vids, apart from them being collectable in years to come (I'm not keeping them for purely that reason though) I'll still be able to watch video's that could never be on DVD or Blu Ray.

There's something very nostalgic about putting on a video, it doesn't come as easy accessable as DVD's etc...You can't buy them in the shops obviously you have to search for classics, and that's when you appreciate and cherish them.

I'm all with you Maverick, I'll be sad too see it when vids are totally gone, along with the next generation of new formats.

i have hundreds of videos too and i still watch them pretty often, mostly stuff that's never been released on dvd. i still buy them when i find some obscure horror movie. a lot of stuff not on dvd can be found easily online though.

i guess i understand the nostalgia argument too, but that's really a load of old poo.

and to suggest that vhs is better than dvd or bluray just seems ludicrous to me.

Betamax was better but VHS wiped it out. :(

I have three seperate videos of the Lord of the Rings movies, I will be extremely sad when I can no longer watch those, and you only seem to be able to get them as a boxset, which seems to cost about £40 everywhere.

i have hundreds of videos too and i still watch them pretty often, mostly stuff that's never been released on dvd. i still buy them when i find some obscure horror movie. a lot of stuff not on dvd can be found easily online though.

i guess i understand the nostalgia argument too, but that's really a load of old poo.

and to suggest that vhs is better than dvd or bluray just seems ludicrous to me.

I don't think video is better by any means, it just seems like it's another benchmark of the throw-away society, everyone constantly trying to keep up when it's all an illusion for companies trying to get you to upgrade and spend your money.

I love videos AND DVD's don't get me wrong, I love them, beautiful DVD box sets like The Simpsons, Peep Show and The Godfather Restoration always manage to blow me away; the effort and time taken to produce a beautiful package and the content being even more brilliant inside! Things like Blu Ray annoy me because I think, "Yep in a few more years I'll have to buy all my stuff on Blu Ray again, yep great", I just feel like i'm pissing in the wind when it comes to technology, and that's why I appreciate the simplicity and charm of a video.

er no...:confused:

VHS quality deteriorates over time for one thing.Plus they used to come unwound and would get mangled in the machine.

VHS is nice and everything but nothing beats a good chalk buffalo scrawled on the wall of a firelit cave.

I could not have stated it any better.

my latest vhs purchase. i bought it, despite the fact that i own it on dvd and ntsc vhs, because i f***ing love this movie and i'm kind of a hoarder sometimes.

i post a picture of myself holding it because i am a monumental c***.

23siudw.jpg

Are we really discussing VHS vs. BluRay?

Dear [some moderator], could you please ban somebody randomly so we can have some drama to talk about here on Off Topic?

Back
Top Bottom