Virgin Radio UK: Rev Richard Coles picks his top 80s tracks; includes "Cemetry Gates" (July 21, 2023)

An article based on a Virgin Radio interview with Rev. Richard Coles, about his favourite 80s tracks, includes this:

Cemetery Gates, The Smiths

The 1986 song - written by Morrissey and Johnny Marr - is lifted from The Queen Is Dead, the band’s third album. “That magical combination of Morrissey and Marr as songwriters, but also Mike [Joyce] and Andy [Rourke] too, I was very, very sad that Andy died recently. Lovely, lovely guy,” Richard said.

“The 80s for me was about synth-pop really. And then all of a sudden, this guitar band came along, but they were doing all these exciting things with Morrissey’s extraordinary brilliance with language. Johnny's superb playing, Andy’s superb playing too.”

He added: “I just love this one. There's just something so kind of English about Morrissey, this kind of having a jolly old day wandering around the cemeteries thinking about life, thinking about death, in Manchester, there's something just so powerful.”

full

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom