What if this was an album

Gregor Samsa

I straighten up, and my position is one of hope.
Perhaps even the only album released post Refusal. This place would be so much more joyful. I can’t imagine Covid or the war in Ukraine happening either.

The title of the album would be Blue Dreamer’s Eyes. And this would be the front cover shot.

IMG_9635.jpeg

1. Blue Dreamers…
2. Istanbul
3. Forgive someone
4. River clean
5. Mountjoy
6. Smiler

7. Drag the…
8. One of our own
9. Brow of…
10. By the time…
11. Julie in…
12. I couldn’t understand…

Imagine the songs being produced by a single producer and the sound being somewhat coherent. I’m thinking warm and atmospheric.

Band line-up:
Boz, guitar
Alain, guitar, backing vocals
Mando, bass
Matt, drums
Gustavo, keys/piano

I’d replace tracks 10 and 12 with something else.

Hard to live with any album that contains "Istanbul" even if most of the rest is most enjoyable.
What! We normally agree with each other, but this blows my mind. It’s one of the great Morrissey story songs. A fantastic lyric.

What! We normally agree with each other, but this blows my mind. It’s one of the great Morrissey story songs. A fantastic lyric.
Nein. Sorry. I don't like it, when he tries to explore exotic places and describes his experiences. He never did this then (88-97) but since he is a journeyman, it's not what I expect from him. Goes with the extreme Latin sounds theme he offers us on WPINOYB. No.

Nein. Sorry. I don't like it, when he tries to explore exotic places and describes his experiences. He never did this then (88-97) but since he is a journeyman, it's not what I expect from him. Goes with the extreme Latin sounds theme he offers us on WPINOYB. No.
Agree, it somehow makes me cringe, like he's trying too hard for something that doesn't suit him.

But these are not his experiences. He tells a story of someone fallen by the wayside. Not unlike what he did with NF Disco (albeit in a foreign setting). And the sound is robust and almost post punk in a way, which is great since I too can’t stand the Latin and world flavors that permeate WPINOYB.

Agree, it somehow makes me cringe, like he's trying too hard for something that doesn't suit him.
Well said . This especially applies to caricatured duets with Thelma Houston and Miley Cyrus and the modern production by Andrew Watt.
But as for the "latino sounds" on World Peace, I disagree. It turned out quite decent. I love that album and I can't wait for the reissues with One of our Own, Julie in The Weeds, Forgive Someone, Art-Hounds and Scandinavia on the main album, not as a bonus tracks

the reissues with One of our Own, Julie in The Weeds, Forgive Someone, Art-Hounds and Scandinavia on the main album, not as a bonus tracks
Who says that will happen?

But these are not his experiences. He tells a story of someone fallen by the wayside. Not unlike what he did with NF Disco (albeit in a foreign setting). And the sound is robust and almost post punk in a way, which is great since I too can’t stand the Latin and world flavors that permeate WPINOYB.
Once again, these are rhymes for the sake of rhyming, and there are certainly some of his own observations of this exotic city interwoven into them. It already didn't appeal to me as a preview track in 2024. Even though he played it live all the time in 2014/2015: time for the third beer.

Once again, these are rhymes for the sake of rhyming, and there are certainly some of his own observations of this exotic city interwoven into them. It already didn't appeal to me as a preview track in 2024. Even though he played it live all the time in 2014/2015: time for the third beer.
Hmm! What songs from WPINOYB do you like?

Oh, come on! Soften that piece of granite in your chest.
If you think that selection of songs are good, you’ve got a piece of granite for a brain.
Apart from Once I Saw… and One of Our Own, they’re all terrible.

It’s funny how many of the extra/unreleased tracks from the World Peace and High School sessions absolutely lord it over many of the album tracks. Low in high school in particular:

Blue dreamer’s eyes
I thought you were dead
I couldn’t understand why people laughed
By the time I get to wherever I’m going

All better than many songs on the actual album.

Back
Top Bottom