Why do some people still call him Steven?

Thread topic reminded me of this clip. Watch from around 47s on and laff.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's more of an Esteban, anyway.

oh yeah. right 12 inch single, wrong song.
classic schoolboy error!

yeah.. i remember the first time i heard the "steven" part... it was pretty surreal... i think it took me a while because i would usually hear the song on bona drag rather than the single and as you implied.. it's not there.

Curiously, the related posts shown at the bottom of the page don't include this thread.

My answer was:
So yeah, I agree that people who want to get in a dig at him (such as Tony Wilson) or only know Morrissey superficially but want to pretend an intimacy with him address him as Steven (Patrick). He's said more than a couple of times that he dislikes being called by his forename. I imagine he dislikes it even more when people try to force an intimacy upon him with such a cheap and incomplete bit of knowledge. At concerts invariably some fratboy would scream "Steven" over and over again, and Morrissey would pointedly ignore the red-faced lout. I've only used "Steven Patrick" with poetic license to rhyme with "geriatric" . :p

The weirdest thing is that whenever I talk to people who know Morrissey, they use all kinds of ways to refer to him other than by his surname (of course, they never use "Steven" or "Steve"). Often they just use the pronouns he/him. Oooh, it's like "HE who cannot be named"! Will lightning strike me down if I call him Yahweh? Boz is the only one I think who actually says "Morrissey". Of course, Boz can survive a nuclear blast. :D

Thread topic reminded me of this clip. Watch from around 47s on and laff.

What a treasureable clip, thanks, KL!

You know, I believe the person who said that "Steven" is not who Morrissey is anymore is on this board.

BTW I loved hearing Echobelly and the Ramones in the background!

Last edited by a moderator:
At least he acknowledged the person who called him Steven in the clip. Hmmmm.

i have no reason for having called him steven.

it just came out.

a few minutes later my sister said, "it's weird to say morrissey to morrissey, morrissey."

why don't you find out for yourself?

Sorry.. but I should do this silly joke.

happy birthday mozzzz

He's made it clear that he isn't fond of Steven at all, I think the least we can do is call him what he wants to be called. I'd do it for anyone not just Morrissey. I don't see what purpose people who call him Steven have in doing so.

A drunken lout behind me last week kept chanting "Steven Patrick, we love you" whenever he came near. Between bouts of wanking on me. *stabs him*

Tags
whofuckingcares
Back
Top Bottom