WPINOYB Marketing and Promotion

A

Anonymous

Am I missing something? The album is due out in two weeks and there appears to be next to no promotion being done.

No tv appearances scheduled, singles hardly played on radio etc.

If it manages to get to number 1 then it will be some achievement!

I find it strange. It makes me worry that he's not well enough to do any interviews. Hopefully I'm wrong.

He's keeping it old school...word of mouth. Kidding. Or am I? I don't know.

That Twitter account, which was clearly official and sanctioned by Harvest (they said so early on) had over 500,000 followers and created a real buzz.

You really can't buy that kind of attention and excitement. He had the perfect opportunity to get the hype going, for free, on a non traditional platform. Remember, he can't just expect to be played on the radio any more or be well enough to book TV appearances, this was a perfect opportunity. It would've taken minimal effort to maintain too, I just don't understand why he wouldn't go along with it.

I love him dearly and will hang on his every note when the album is released but Morrissey totally f***ed this up...stubbornness over the Twitter thing has cost him majorly. I really mean it.

Morrissey's being very self destructive it seems. He may not be in a good place.

It started with the twitter debacle and then snowballed from there. I don't buy that it was hacked- that was always harvest and he knew it. Now he's in hiding and the self destruction continues. Not a good time to have another nervous breakdown.

I'm confused about the Twitter thing. I know it was an "official" Twitter supposedly (had the verified icon and all) and then he came out and said "no, that's not me". Is there something I'm missing?

I'm confused about the Twitter thing. I know it was an "official" Twitter supposedly (had the verified icon and all) and then he came out and said "no, that's not me". Is there something I'm missing?

Harvest obviously created the account to promote the new album and he probably disagreed with Harvest's endeavour - therefore combating it in the only way he could.
He would have little or no control over the content of 'his' page. I don't blame him.

It started with the twitter debacle and then snowballed from there. I don't buy that it was hacked- that was always harvest and he knew it. Now he's in hiding and the self destruction continues. Not a good time to have another nervous breakdown.

I can't think of an instance when it is good to have a nervous breakdown.
Hopefully he recovers whatever the matter may be.

Last edited:
Harvest obviously created the account to promote the new album and he probably disagreed with Harvest's endeavour - therefore combating it in the only way he could.
He would have little or no control over the content of 'his' page.
It wasn't created by Harvest it was active for at least a couple of years before that (but not tweets), it even had an old tweet about a cancellation for way back when. Possibly opened previously, forgotten & tweets reactivated by Harvest. Agree with you what a waste...

I don't think the Twitter would have worked long-term because Harvest was pretending that he was the one who was tweeting. That was their mistake. For the first two tweets, people were really excited and that's when they started following in droves. The buzz was that it might actually be him. The first two tweets were followed by run-of-the-mill, dry corporate promotional "whoring," and the pissy comments from others on Twitter started coming. People were like, Well, that didn't take long, did it? and there was a sense of it being a total letdown. With his Facebook, no one is pretending that he's the one posting, so maybe that's more OK with him.

Can't see World Peace reaching number one unless if there is a publicity drive of biblical proportions in the next two weeks. If it were not for the recent magazine reviews, the only people who would have any knowledge that he even had a new album out would be us oddballs on Solo.

It wasn't created by Harvest it was active for at least a couple of years before that (but not tweets), it even had an old tweet about a cancellation for way back when. Possibly opened previously, forgotten & tweets reactivated by Harvest. Agree with you what a waste...

Ahh, okay. I never knew.

I still believe something is off- he's hiding for a reason. I guess we will find out eventually.

Am I missing something? The album is due out in two weeks and there appears to be next to no promotion being done.

No tv appearances scheduled, singles hardly played on radio etc.

If it manages to get to number 1 then it will be some achievement!

He may be sick therefore there are no TV appearences. As for radio play it's not true.

Istambul is now on BBC radio 2 and radio 6 playlists, on Xfm daytime playlist and on absolute radio as well.

Hey guys, anonymous here.. I had 30 secs of free time so i decided to use it to make an alternative sleeve for the new Morrissey album.

24y0pjm.jpg

Isn't it good to be lost in the woods? So peaceful there..

Hey guys, anonymous here.. I had 30 secs of free time so i decided to use it to make an alternative sleeve for the new Morrissey album.

24y0pjm.jpg

At least his face isn't photoshopped to resemble that of a 15 year old.

Thank you for starting this thread. I am looking forward to the new album, immensely.

If it (all things regarded as marketing & promotion) have not happened yet, they are not going to happen. There will be no media blitz. I can only agree with almost everything that has been said here. It should be noted, that unlike Sade, Morrissey is not a total recluse, and that he did do a fair amount of promoting (TV, Radio, Print Media, etc.) for Quarry. There is a difference between not being able (generally, illness) to promote and not being willing (generally, stubbornness) to promote. If he is ill, nothing can be done. If he is not ill, what would be his reasons to refrain from promoting? 1) he is embarrassed about the tour cancellations and does not even want to send out a statement on TTY saying he is OK; 2) he is just happy to be able to put out a new album, sales and charts be damned; and/or 3) he truly wants to see what happens absent much promotion (i.e. figures the digital downloads and spoken word videos were enough). What I mean to say with regard to #3, is that aside from the U.S. tour, which would not make a big impact on U.K. sales and chart position, there never was going to be much promotion for this album. It starts with having no physical singles and b-sides and/or digital singles and b-sides. If the Twitter microblogging account did in fact have 50,000 followers, to cancel that, was clearly a titanic f**k up. Tweet for a couple months, and after the album is released, ditch it. Morrissey has stated that he personally made a mess out of the roll-out for Southpaw Grammar, the sleeve being the least of his self-complaints. You don't have an album called Southpaw Something, and put out a non-album single called "Boxers" in January 1995, only to have the album drop in August 1995 and undermine the entire boxing theme, diluting the album. You also don't put out an "album" with 8 songs. I would say "it's [his] life to wreck [his] own way" if it was not for the fact that "this story is old, I know, but it goes on."

Last edited:
Thank you for starting this thread. I am looking forward to the new album, immensely.

If it (all things regarded as marketing & promotion) have not happened yet, they are not going to happen. There will be no media blitz. I can only agree with almost everything that has been said here. It should be noted, that unlike Sade, Morrissey is not a total recluse, and that he did do a fair amount of promoting (TV, Radio, Print Media, etc.) for Quarry. There is a difference between not being able (generally, illness) to promote and not being willing (generally, stubbornness) to promote. If he is ill, nothing can be done. If he is not ill, what would be his reasons to refrain from promoting? 1) he is embarrassed about the tour cancellations and does not even want to send out a statement on TTY saying he is OK; 2) he is just happy to be able to put out a new album, sales and charts be damned; and/or 3) he truly wants to see what happens absent much promotion (i.e. figures the digital downloads and spoken word videos were enough). What I mean to say with regard to #3, is that aside from the U.S. tour, which would not make a big impact on U.K. sales and chart position, there never was going to be much promotion for this album. It starts with having no physical singles and b-sides and/or digital singles and b-sides. If the Twitter microblogging account did in fact have 50,000 followers, to cancel that, was clearly a titanic f**k up. Tweet for a couple months, and after the album is released, ditch it. Morrissey has stated that he personally made a mess out of the roll-out for Southpaw Grammar, the sleeve being the least of his self-complaints. You don't have an album called Southpaw Something, and then put out a single called "Boxers" in January 1995, only to have the album drop in August 1995 and undermine the entire boxing theme, diluting the album. You also don't put out an "album" with 8 songs. I would say "it's [his] life to ruin [his] own way" if it was not for the fact that "this story is old, I know, but it goes on."

Considering the hit his reputation took after last year's cancellations I doubt he would refrain from promotion just to see what happens. This album is pretty crucial considering it's the first in a contract after years of being without one.

I tend to think it is either one of these two scenarios you discussed: he's either embarrassed about the cancellations and is hiding out, or he's too ill. I really hope it's the former.

24y0pjm.jpg

Needs more barcode.

Back
Top Bottom