Morrissey Central "YOU KNOW I COULDN’T LAST" (July 26, 2023)

“She had only so much ‘self’ to give. She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong. She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back. The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinead today … with the usual moronic labels of “icon” and “legend”. You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. The press will label artists as pests because of what they withhold … and they would call Sinead sad, fat, shocking, insane … oh but not today! Music CEOs who had put on their most charming smile as they refused her for their roster are queuing-up to call her a “feminist icon”, and 15 minute celebrities and goblins from hell and record labels of artificially aroused diversity are squeezing onto Twitter to twitter their jibber-jabber … when it was YOU who talked Sinead into giving up … because she refused to be labelled, and she was degraded, as those few who move the world are always degraded. Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O’Connor is dead? Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t. She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own. As always, the lamestreamers miss the ringing point, and with locked jaws they return to the insultingly stupid “icon” and “legend” when last week words far more cruel and dismissive would have done. Tomorrow the fawning fops flip back to their online shitposts and their cosy Cancer Culture and their moral superiority and their obituaries of parroted vomit … all of which will catch you lying on days like today … when Sinead doesn’t need your sterile slop.”

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

full

Related thread:

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Setting Morrissey statement aside :

People magazine 2021 .... Sinead on record companies :

“See, when the artists are dead, they’re much more valuable than when they’re alive. Tupac has released way more albums since he died than he ever did alive, so it’s kind of gross what record companies do,”...
”That’s why I’ve always instructed my children since they were very small, ‘If your mother drops dead tomorrow, before you called 911, call my accountant and make sure the record companies don’t start releasing my records and not telling you where the money is.’”
“One of the things that’s a great bugbear with me, I get very angry when I think of it, is the fact that they’re raping his vault"

“Hater” is a descriptor bandied about to flatten theoretically valid criticisms of a given subject. Aside from a snide remark or two, I don’t perceive any hatred towards Morrissey within this thread whatsoever. Perhaps the “sycophantic slags” are simply too sensitive towards any deviation from devotion. See how that works?

H Town Football GIF by Houston Dynamo FC

I agree with every word of this. The public is unforgiving. The media is unforgiving. Those who have vested business interests will only ever care about their vested business interests in someone - regardless of what other yarn they might be trying to concurrently spin.

Sinead was a business interest to many, and adored by millions more. But the public and baying crowds frequently relish seeing someone fall, and when Sinead’s problems, Sinead’s challenges, Sinead’s humanity, was brought into the limelight with a violent blast, people were quick to devour the tabloid headlines but clearly there was a recurring theme of inadequate support behind the scenes.

I think it is exactly this, that is most baffling to some: people who are not in the public eye in some form or another typically don’t have millions of fans, or millions of records sold, or millions of pounds in the bank. The fact that someone, anyone, who ever had millions of anything, can find themselves as used, and as abused, and as alone as anyone else is truly saddening.

You have to be an incredibly strong person to be able to successfully navigate life and to successfully forge your own success - and then to also know exactly how to keep it - without being waylaid, distracted, or tempted by so many things that will take you down the wrong turns. This is a comment that holds for any of us, and for all of us. Also that vultures exist and that they will always be waiting at every corner, sadly is also something that will never change.

The death of a child however is something so abominable and so unspeakably transhuman to have to endure, that it’s a wonder that anyone else who has ever been forced by fate to suffer such a life destroying monstrosity, ever manages any better than Sinead did at all.

I’m sorry for her children and for her family. Condolences are never enough.

A heartfelt post and I couldn’t agree more strongly with every word typed and with every sentiment expressed by Morrissey above.
Beautifully written.

“See, when the artists are dead, they’re much more valuable than when they’re alive. Tupac has released way more albums since he died than he ever did alive, so it’s kind of gross what record companies do,”...
”That’s why I’ve always instructed my children since they were very small, ‘If your mother drops dead tomorrow, before you called 911, call my accountant and make sure the record companies don’t start releasing my records and not telling you where the money is.’”

“One of the things that’s a great bugbear with me, I get very angry when I think of it, is the fact that they’re raping his vault"
Excellent. Thanks for posting.

don’t think ‘Nakedbrunch’ was speaking about those folks though. And seems that he or she was surprised, that for a site dedicated to M/Smiths how much hate is posted.

And it seems the he ir she was surprised that on a site dedicated to Morrissey/Smiths how much hate is posted, yet Morrissey hates the site for some reason.

Very sad news about Sinead O'Connor - that should be the main focus, agreed.

As for Morrissey's statement, well...it made me think that he really wouldn't be the Morrissey we've come to know in recent years without having a battle to fight. It practically defines him these days, which is a shame, as it overshadows all of the good stuff he continues to produce (with the odd exception - Notre Dame, I'm looking at you). He's such a talented artist and his music remains vital. I just want to see the boy happy, but I'm not sure he ever will be.
I hope he is happy too.

I really can't think of anything they had in common.
She had a mother who horribly abused her in every way, including sexually.
He had a mother who adored him and nurtured him.
Her mother kept her in a shed in the backyard, his mother let him live in his bedroom and do whatever he wanted. He was coddled beyond all reason and that is where his problems come from, he is just so special.
He cannot possibly relate to the horrors she suffered as a child and he should be down on his knees thanking God for that instead of writing these unhinged screeds,
She lost a child. He does not have children. That is a special kind of pain, that again, he should be thanking God he has never experienced.
The music industry did not ruin Sinead O'Connors life, she barely even wanted to be a part of it, she just wanted to make her art, she did not want the star treatment like he does.
They literally have nothing in common and for him to act like he can even for one second understand her pain is ludicrous.
I've never read she was sexually abused. Physically and mentally...

You, and the group to which you belong, are entitled to your delusions. If that's what it takes to make your life feel less unfulfilling, that's entirely your right, and I respect it.

Please, allow me to quote your own words...

"You, and the group to which you belong, are entitled to your delusions. If that's what it takes to make your life feel less unfulfilling, that's entirely your right, and I respect it."

... to say, perhaps, if I were a hateful and condescending person, that they apply perfectly to you and the group to which you belong.

Wow just found this forum, as Love Morrissey and so sad to find people like you, who clearly have no respect for Moz, why do people like u post on forums of people u clearly dont respect? There are billions of places u could go to share yr joy, or feelings... but u chose to go to peoples sites to ridicule them. Please start writing a gratitude diary, and start writing to your inner child, and find love in yr heart, find why you may not be as compassionate as u could be. I wish you happiness, I wish you Joy, I wish you a wonderful life, sprinkled with many occasions of joy.
Welcome to our World

Please, allow me to quote your own words...

"You, and the group to which you belong, are entitled to your delusions. If that's what it takes to make your life feel less unfulfilling, that's entirely your right, and I respect it."

... to say, perhaps, if I were a hateful and condescending person, that they apply perfectly to you and the group to which you belong.
Hurrarr

I remember when this came out, I figured the lyrics were about the Catholic Church, called “the whore of Babylon” by its haters and usually referred to as a she—the Bride of Christ, Holy Mother Church, &c. Then I learned it’s about her own mother. How poisonous that relationship must’ve been.
And how confusing for a little girl to make sense of.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom