Morrissey Central "YOU KNOW I COULDN’T LAST" (July 26, 2023)

“She had only so much ‘self’ to give. She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong. She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back. The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinead today … with the usual moronic labels of “icon” and “legend”. You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. The press will label artists as pests because of what they withhold … and they would call Sinead sad, fat, shocking, insane … oh but not today! Music CEOs who had put on their most charming smile as they refused her for their roster are queuing-up to call her a “feminist icon”, and 15 minute celebrities and goblins from hell and record labels of artificially aroused diversity are squeezing onto Twitter to twitter their jibber-jabber … when it was YOU who talked Sinead into giving up … because she refused to be labelled, and she was degraded, as those few who move the world are always degraded. Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O’Connor is dead? Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t. She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own. As always, the lamestreamers miss the ringing point, and with locked jaws they return to the insultingly stupid “icon” and “legend” when last week words far more cruel and dismissive would have done. Tomorrow the fawning fops flip back to their online shitposts and their cosy Cancer Culture and their moral superiority and their obituaries of parroted vomit … all of which will catch you lying on days like today … when Sinead doesn’t need your sterile slop.”

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

full

Related thread:

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder what Sinead thought about Mr Morrissey and his song apparently blaming Muslims for Notre Dame without any evidence at all??

She'd probably have thought what an obnoxious self righteous prick and he can stick his sympathy up his arse.

This letter is an own goal. Among people who are not fans of Mr Morrissey it seems to be seem as a pathetic gesture and another example of him making other people's tragedies about himself in an embarrassingly self awareness lacking manner.

Cockroach.

Blondie drummer

I googled three words: Morrissey, Dodwell and legend 🙃 After the 7th article, I gave up.
I won't repeat it again with the word icon

I googled three words: Morrissey, Dodwell and legend 🙃 After the 7th article, I gave up.
I won't repeat it again with the word icon

Sure. But I don’t think he has a problem with those two words, except when they’re used in what he sees as hollow tributes, tributes made by those that would have negatively criticized her when alive.

@ZOOM FROM GLOOM
I think it's a hollow tributes when it's not about him.
But it's my opinion . Because he doesn't justify his criticism with absolutely nothing.

@ZOOM FROM GLOOM
I think it's a hollow tributes when it's not about him.
But it's my opinion . Because he doesn't justify his criticism with absolutely nothing.

Are we still talking about the use of the two words ‘legend’ and ‘icon’ and what he feels about them being used in tributes by people that would have negatively criticized her when she was alive ?

btw, no need to @ someone when you’re already replying to their post.

I'm a 62 year old woman from a Northern English coastal town who was 22 when The Smiths' first album came out. Even the boys I knocked around with then were impressed by that. I've been at times still more impressed by Morrissey's solo output. But I don't do social media and I've never followed anyone in my entire life. As a woman, I've variously been scorned by other women for being too good looking or 'trying too hard' (as my mother said, along with the fact that my legs were 'just straight up and down') when I've regarded looks in myself and others as inconsequential. I've been derided for seeming too intense - or for bothering at all - as some kind of mug. Serially, I've stuck my head above the parapet, stood up for what I believe and been vilified both by (mostly) middle aged white blokes and other women for my independence of spirit and unwillingness to comply with whatever norms might have stopped the hail of blows even momentarily. I've formed liaisons on basis of intelligence as opposed to other stuff and that too has gone down like a lead balloon. As the world's most unlikely trade unionist, I've even been called a racist when the people around me at work - mostly white middle-aged blokes - have got stuck into black people, women, disabled people and whoever the hell they wanted repeatedly under cover of being in a trade union. I saw what Morrissey said about Sinead O'Connor and for me it had resonance. So, as a persistent defender of Morrissey to the last - a middle-aged white bloke who breaks all stereotypes - I feel, as the ship is sinking, that I should finally nail my colours to the mast.

Are we still talking about the use of the two words ‘legend’ and ‘icon’ and what he feels about them being used in tributes by people that would have negatively criticized her when she was alive ?

btw, no need to @ someone when you’re already replying to their post.
Who are they ?
Is this an empty accusation or is he referring to someone specific?

Btw
No need to make fun of someone's opinions if you don't agree with them.

Ostensibly about Sinéad, but really about the only thing he truly cares about -- himself. As usual. As expected.

She was a wonderful songstress. Check out her "Mandinka" for more proof.

I know all that. But you’ve said, “women aren’t good at rock.” Is “songstress” supposed to be some other category? If so, you’re just splitting hairs. She did make albums that were variously reggae, torch songs, and Irish folk, but she also made rock albums. You’re sharing songs from them.

Gahhhhhh!

Sinead didn’t kill herself because of the music industry! This, once again, is all about HIM. Also, “fat” — please. Who has used “fat” as a pejorative more than Morrissey? And just like how he couldn’t fathom the mother of a Moors Murder victim never getting over the death of her child, he doesn’t even mention the death of Sinead’s child. He has fooled you (and himself) into thinking he’s deep and caring.

He should have just kept his mouth shut. He has no relationship to her. He’s using her death to complain about the music industry. Again. And while I agree that the music industry sucks, Morrissey is just so difficult, unlikeable, egotistical, selfish, and unwilling to play the game we all have to play that he screws himself over in his career and his personal life over and over.

Every eulogy he gives for someone who has passed is ALWAYS, ultimately, about himself.

He’s comparing his feeling that record companies are conspiring to keep him from getting a hit record and assuming that was Sinead’s biggest problem as well.

Sinead was persecuted in a much more real way by the Catholic Church, the patriarchy, her family and community. Morrissey comparing his self-inflicted trouble with his record companies to that when she’s just died is disgusting. He goes on and on about the record industry and the fans — it goes on so long, it’s clear it’s not about Sinead at all.

He titled this “you know I couldn’t last” — I could write an essay on the various ways that is similarly offensive. For one thing, that song includes smears against Andy, who also just died and got a similar self-centered eulogy from him. “You know I couldn’t last” is about everyone wanting to exploit him for money, which doesn’t apply here at all.

His reference to “cancer culture” was also irritating. Andy just passed from cancer. “Cancel culture” is a dog whistle phrase usually used by the right, like Trump. It refers to the world being rightly outraged at the racist and offensive stuff Morrissey can’t stop saying.

Did the record companies and fans even turn their backs on Sinead? It seemed to me she stopped putting out music and stepped out of the spotlight of her own volition, due more to her mindset and mental issues.

SPOT f***ING ON. 💯

I wasn’t making fun of your opinion. Sorry you mistook it that way.
Of course you do, not just with my posts.
You can be blindly infatuated with someone, but beyond a certain point it becomes ridiculous. No offense . it's the middle of the night. Good night

Back
Top Bottom