Morrissey Central "YOU KNOW I COULDN’T LAST" (July 26, 2023)

“She had only so much ‘self’ to give. She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong. She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back. The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinead today … with the usual moronic labels of “icon” and “legend”. You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. The press will label artists as pests because of what they withhold … and they would call Sinead sad, fat, shocking, insane … oh but not today! Music CEOs who had put on their most charming smile as they refused her for their roster are queuing-up to call her a “feminist icon”, and 15 minute celebrities and goblins from hell and record labels of artificially aroused diversity are squeezing onto Twitter to twitter their jibber-jabber … when it was YOU who talked Sinead into giving up … because she refused to be labelled, and she was degraded, as those few who move the world are always degraded. Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O’Connor is dead? Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t. She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own. As always, the lamestreamers miss the ringing point, and with locked jaws they return to the insultingly stupid “icon” and “legend” when last week words far more cruel and dismissive would have done. Tomorrow the fawning fops flip back to their online shitposts and their cosy Cancer Culture and their moral superiority and their obituaries of parroted vomit … all of which will catch you lying on days like today … when Sinead doesn’t need your sterile slop.”

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

full

Related thread:

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:

“She had only so much ‘self’ to give. She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong. She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back. The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinead today … with the usual moronic labels of “icon” and “legend”. You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. The press will label artists as pests because of what they withhold … and they would call Sinead sad, fat, shocking, insane … oh but not today! Music CEOs who had put on their most charming smile as they refused her for their roster are queuing-up to call her a “feminist icon”, and 15 minute celebrities and goblins from hell and record labels of artificially aroused diversity are squeezing onto Twitter to twitter their jibber-jabber … when it was YOU who talked Sinead into giving up … because she refused to be labelled, and she was degraded, as those few who move the world are always degraded. Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O’Connor is dead? Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t. She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own. As always, the lamestreamers miss the ringing point, and with locked jaws they return to the insultingly stupid “icon” and “legend” when last week words far more cruel and dismissive would have done. Tomorrow the fawning fops flip back to their online shitposts and their cosy Cancer Culture and their moral superiority and their obituaries of parroted vomit … all of which will catch you lying on days like today … when Sinead doesn’t need your sterile slop.”

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

full

Related thread:

Media items:
So where were you?

He really can’t help it, can he?
“She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back”
f***ing embarrassing.
You know he would find a way to include himself. It’s his way.

Gahhhhhh!

Sinead didn’t kill herself because of the music industry! This, once again, is all about HIM. Also, “fat” — please. Who has used “fat” as a pejorative more than Morrissey? And just like how he couldn’t fathom the mother of a Moors Murder victim never getting over the death of her child, he doesn’t even mention the death of Sinead’s child. He has fooled you (and himself) into thinking he’s deep and caring.

He should have just kept his mouth shut. He has no relationship to her. He’s using her death to complain about the music industry. Again. And while I agree that the music industry sucks, Morrissey is just so difficult, unlikeable, egotistical, selfish, and unwilling to play the game we all have to play that he screws himself over in his career and his personal life over and over.

Every eulogy he gives for someone who has passed is ALWAYS, ultimately, about himself.

He’s comparing his feeling that record companies are conspiring to keep him from getting a hit record and assuming that was Sinead’s biggest problem as well.

Sinead was persecuted in a much more real way by the Catholic Church, the patriarchy, her family and community. Morrissey comparing his self-inflicted trouble with his record companies to that when she’s just died is disgusting. He goes on and on about the record industry and the fans — it goes on so long, it’s clear it’s not about Sinead at all.

He titled this “you know I couldn’t last” — I could write an essay on the various ways that is similarly offensive. For one thing, that song includes smears against Andy, who also just died and got a similar self-centered eulogy from him. “You know I couldn’t last” is about everyone wanting to exploit him for money, which doesn’t apply here at all.

His reference to “cancer culture” was also irritating. Andy just passed from cancer. “Cancel culture” is a dog whistle phrase usually used by the right, like Trump. It refers to the world being rightly outraged at the racist and offensive stuff Morrissey can’t stop saying.

Did the record companies and fans even turn their backs on Sinead? It seemed to me she stopped putting out music and stepped out of the spotlight of her own volition, due more to her mindset and mental issues.
Finding a successful way to keep himself in the public eye, expect more of this sort of thing.
It costs him nothing and gets him the worldwide attention he craves.
Godforsaken creep.

There is so much truth, wisdom and insighr in your post and I agree with all of it, but I had to isolate this part because I wanted to say it, then didn't, and I am just glad someone did.
Morrissey is a monster, this is the final straw, there is not any room left for the benefit of the doubt.
Maybe you wanted to say it and then stopped yourself because you realised it was idiotic?
Moz's mum died of cancer. After losing a loved one to cancer, how long should someone wait before using the word again in a sentence? 6 weeks? 6 months? 6 years?
What an utterly ridiculous thing to say. The word 'cancer' is a powerful word to use as an image of something eating something up from the inside. It doesn't belittle Andy's memory, or his mother's, by using the word in that way. In fact, it probably gives the image even more effect, because anyone who has lost someone to cancer knows the power of that word as an image.

I've always admired how raw and personal Morrissey can get, but at this point it feels like he views others as an extension of himself only - it's like his reasoning has been clouded by his own troubles to the point where there's no return.

On another note, it's still bewildering how much he talks and how little action he takes - considering how passionate he is about the subject, why not found your own label for the 'rejected and misunderstood'? I'm pretty sure he has got the connections and means to do so.

Maybe you wanted to say it and then stopped yourself because you realised it was idiotic?
No, I didn't think it was idiotic, but I think your posts are. I think cancer was a very poor choice of a word from a man who is narcissistic and miserable, and wants everyone else to be miserable too. He had to know it would hurt people who cared about Andy, because he wants to hurt people. This is about Morrissey and only Morrissey, even the title. Morrissey does not and did not give a shit about Sinead O'Connor, he is just a f***ed up opportunist who used her death to get his name in the headlines.

There is so much truth, wisdom and insighr in your post and I agree with all of it, but I had to isolate this part because I wanted to say it, then didn't, and I am just glad someone did.
Morrissey is a monster, this is the final straw, there is not any room left for the benefit of the doubt. He calls people sheep and acts like he has the absolute truth all the time, but it is this very ignorance he counts on and benefits from, from his adoring fans who are really just too stupid to see through it. He lies, manipulates, gaslights and is just unbelievably cruel, and I am sure he is laughing about all the headlines he managed to get off of this woman's death.
It's true that the music business did not kill Sinead, she had countless personal demons she struggled with and was quite open about it and she fought for as long as she could. Even if this was not suicide, the kind of trauma she endured would affect her body in such a way that she would develop medical problems that likely would end her life.
This is so completely true. It baffles me seeing so many people praise this statement when it is so transparently entirely about Morrissey. Morrissey and Sinead had absolutely NOTHING in common. Nothing. Sinead stood up and risked everything to speak about REAL things, real problems in the world: abuse in the Catholic Church, racism, sexism, the plight of refugees, etc. With the rare exception of animal rights, Morrissey only ever speaks out about things happening to himself, perceived slights regarding his record contracts or lack of press coverage. He constantly pouts about being "canceled" when he doesn't even know the meaning of the word. Did thousands of Catholics steamroll over his records? Was he booed by a sold-out crowd at Madison Square Garden? He knows nothing of real hardship and yet compares himself to a woman who had real struggles and real difficulties and an actual hard life. She didn't give a shit about the "industry" and he's painting a portrait of a person consumed by a desire to be accepted/honored by the business and who craved industry attention - that's him, not her.
But his name is in headlines all over the world now! He must be smug.

He had to know it would hurt people who cared about Andy, because he wants to hurt people.
Are you really saying that he intentionally used the word 'cancer' to hurt Andy's loved ones? With some stiff competition, that has got to win the prize for the silliest thing posted on this website.

Are you really saying that he intentionally used the word 'cancer' to hurt Andy's loved ones? With some stiff competition, that has got to win the prize for the silliest thing posted on this website.
Take it to off topic, it is incredibly tacky to be attacking another poster here in this thread

Exactly that. They call you the devil incarnate when you're alive - and a fragile soul with the voice of an angel when you're dead.
It's the most ugly part of group mentality - attack the weakest link. Beat up the kid who's sensitive and different. Who doesn't fit in. And is it any wonder Moz has some anger on the subject.
This is how we treat our poets and seers.

I've always admired how raw and personal Morrissey can get, but at this point it feels like he views others as an extension of himself only - it's like his reasoning has been clouded by his own troubles to the point where there's no return.

On another note, it's still bewildering how much he talks and how little action he takes - considering how passionate he is about the subject, why not found your own label for the 'rejected and misunderstood'? I'm pretty sure he has got the connections and means to do so.
This is such a good idea - a label for the outliers, outcasts, and problem children of the music world. Morrissey is absolutely the wrong person to found/run any kind of business, but somebody should do this!

Thanks for sayng it. There's a sickening cloud of the usual inane, thoughtless, go-to 'expressions' of 'sadness' here in Ireland by well known figures. They couldn't even give her the dignity of putting some real thought into what they had to say about her.

It's incredible that Morrissey gets more support elsewhere for his (very true) statement than he does on his supposed fan-site. Actually, no it isn't, this is solo and most of you hate him more than his most ardent detractors. Bizarre, really.

This is so completely true. It baffles me seeing so many people praise this statement when it is so transparently entirely about Morrissey. Morrissey and Sinead had absolutely NOTHING in common. Nothing. Sinead stood up and risked everything to speak about REAL things, real problems in the world: abuse in the Catholic Church, racism, sexism, the plight of refugees, etc. With the rare exception of animal rights, Morrissey only ever speaks out about things happening to himself, perceived slights regarding his record contracts or lack of press coverage. He constantly pouts about being "canceled" when he doesn't even know the meaning of the word. Did thousands of Catholics steamroll over his records? Was he booed by a sold-out crowd at Madison Square Garden? He knows nothing of real hardship and yet compares himself to a woman who had real struggles and real difficulties and an actual hard life. She didn't give a shit about the "industry" and he's painting a portrait of a person consumed by a desire to be accepted/honored by the business and who craved industry attention - that's him, not her.
But his name is in headlines all over the world now! He must be smug.
Behind closed doors I would think he's absolutely gross.
The public side is hard enough to stomach.
I forsee another shedding of band members.

A few friends and colleagues who know about Moz but would not be dedicated fans have mentioned to me that they saw Moz's post about Sinéad and they 100% agree with him. I haven't met anyone yet who doesn't agree. Viva Moz.

Back
Top Bottom