Morrissey Central "‘BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS’ IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS" (June 14, 2023)

'BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS’ IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS'

unnamed.png

Artist-friendly Capitol Records (Los Angeles) have no plans to release ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ two and a half years after the album was recorded.

unnamed.jpg

Morrissey’s new comment on the situation:

“It’s a clear display of how censorian the music industry has become. It is a new part of the music industry that does not work and that nobody likes. Music should be the primary democracy, as all art should be, and any effort to keep people away from it simply invites deeper discussion. There is no point banning ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ because somebody somewhere might be offended if they heard it. Why waste time on other people’s mental incapacities? And where is Capitol’s support for the kids who were murdered in that Manchester bonfire on 22 May 2017? Although Capitol claims to be a label of ‘diversity’ it is very difficult to see their humanity. If you are only prepared to release music that draws people’s minds away from thinking then you are unfit for any contact with creative people. Songs are literary compositions, and writing music should be an unrestricted open form. It seems to me that Capitol Records cannot observe the possibility that their artists or their potential customers have ever thought. But silencing certain artists achieves nothing, and simply makes the bonfire burn taller and louder. The moral perspective at Capitol Records who is sitting like a hen on an egg on ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ is Michelle Jubelirer, who played no small part in removing ‘World Peace is None Of Your Business’ from the shelves in 2014 - determined that it could not sell or be heard. The same creeping culture of censorship at Capitol Records has taken place with ‘Bonfire Of Teenagers’, and the civic structure of Capitol now appears fascist. I still have hope in the music industry, but there are evidently several powerful faces within it that have no honest interest in music … and you follow them into the shadows at your peril.”
MORRISSEY.

unnamed[1].png

(Middle image = Michelle Jubelirer).
FWD.

Media items:

If so they should be willing to sell the rights back to Morrissey.

I'd expect he can sell enough to make them some profit. Don't plenty of artists that sell similar numbers to him get record contracts and release albums?
Could you honestly imagine Morrissey paying for them? Being a martyr on M Central is much cheaper.

Let’s all be honest here. BOT will never be released unless it is self released.
We all know this won’t ever happen.

I’m just looking forward to Nottingham and Liverpool, hopefully we will hear WMTWD
Songs.
This said, the one song that really intrigues
Me from BOT was Diana Doors.

A marvellous actress
Who loved a good party
With more sex appeal than Frank and open,
And Maralyn Monroe put together….
And she looked even sexier in her latter years whilst in the Adam Ant video😛😛

Could you honestly imagine Morrissey paying for them? Being a martyr on M Central is much cheaper.
Being able to release an album they've recorded means a big deal to any artist, I'm sure. He surely would be willing to pay for them.

BTW, it seems hard to understand how Johnny is able to release his records on big labels and Moz seemingly isn't. I don't mean this as a dig at Johnny, but Moz surely sells more / gets more listens on Spotify? He has fans worldwide, whereas I can't imagine Johnny sells much at all outside of England.
Is it a matter of him being difficult to deal with? Or of being "cancelled"? Of not accepting the deals offered to him??

Morrissey talks about 'censorship', as though it's somehow his right to have this record released. But the fact is, he chose to sell his property to a record company, aso now they get to decide what - if anything - to do with it. If he wants to reserve his 'right' for everyone to hear it, then he should have released it himself, or agreed a contract with a cast-iron clause stating that if the record company doesn't release it within one year, then the rights revert back to him. He willingly signed his rights away for money - why are you crying about it now?

Morrissey can't have it both ways. If you want independence, then stop trying to suckle at the teat of major record labels.

BTW, it seems hard to understand how Johnny is able to release his records on big labels and Moz seemingly isn't. I don't mean this as a dig at Johnny, but Moz surely sells more / gets more listens on Spotify? He has fans worldwide, whereas I can't imagine Johnny sells much at all outside of England.
Is it a matter of him being difficult to deal with? Or of being "cancelled"? Of not accepting the deals offered to him??
Wokists

I expect it's a combination of lots of things. Johnny is probably willing to accept less money for a deal, and is probably easier to deal with, and the record company know that he is going to spend time and effort promoting the record - look at how many hundreds of interviews the guy did for his last LP. Maybe he's not earning mega-bucks, but there's a reasonable profit to be made, and the guy is less headache all round.

With Morrissey, all the evidence over the years shows him being a complete nightmare for any label to work with, hence why every relationship crashes and burns. The guy is a lot more demanding, is not willing to do any promotion for his record, and it's odds on that he's going to be slagging the record label off in public at the first opportunity. A label might deem it worthwhile putting up with a diva or an awkward artist if they sell enough units, but I think at this stage of his career Morrissey is unlikely to sell enough to make the hassle worthwhile. I love the guy as an artist, but if I was working at a label I wouldn't want to sign or work with him. Who needs that level of stress?

Let’s all be honest here. BOT will never be released unless it is self released.
We all know this won’t ever happen.

I’m just looking forward to Nottingham and Liverpool, hopefully we will hear WMTWD
Songs.
This said, the one song that really intrigues
Me from BOT was Diana Doors.

A marvellous actress
Who loved a good party
With more sex appeal than Frank and open,
And Maralyn Monroe put together….
And she looked even sexier in her latter years whilst in the Adam Ant video😛😛
"Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

He doesn't mention it. Since yesterday, the killing of innocent young people is in the Media again. And the fact, that the killer is a migrant, is discussed very emotionally.
Because there are those in the media with agendas, which involve promoting hate towards those with different skin colours.

It should be noted (especially by Moz and his dwindling band of followers) that the parents of two of the Nottingham victims subsequently took part in a vigil of remembrance, where they explicitly rejected the politics of vengeance.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-65909782

Morrissey used to sell lots more than Marr but from 2019, his sales have shrunk markedly. He used to shift at least 40-50,000 for most albums including Low in High School (and well over 100,000 for the big sellers) but the last two have sold fewer than 10,000 with lower sales than Johnny Marr whose new songs radio stations are still happy to play.
My guess is that Morrissey still expects record companies to offer him the kind of deal that a 50,000 selling artist would attract but he's probably only receiving offers for an act that can sell 5,000-10,000.
I doubt the situation is quite as bad internationally but there will still have been a post 2019 drop-off, and the UK was usually his best selling country anyway, accounting for about a third of all album sales worldwide.

Morrissey used to sell lots more than Marr but from 2019, his sales have shrunk markedly. He used to shift at least 40-50,000 for most albums including Low in High School (and well over 100,000 for the big sellers) but the last two have sold fewer than 10,000 with lower sales than Johnny Marr whose new songs radio stations are still happy to play.
My guess is that Morrissey still expects record companies to offer him the kind of deal that a 50,000 selling artist would attract but he's probably only receiving offers for an act that can sell 5,000-10,000.
I doubt the situation is quite as bad internationally but there will still have been a post 2019 drop-off, and the UK was usually his best selling country anyway, accounting for about a third of all album sales worldwide.
Those are UK numbers only, right? I wouldn't expect there would have been much of a post 2019 drop off internationally, if at all. Does anyone have worldwide numbers?

Why the sad face? They've only used AI to restore the quality of the demo, not to create a fake John Lennon voice.
I'm excited to hear what the record sounds like.

Ah, ok. I fear for the authenticity of future music.

"And where is Capitol’s support for the kids who were murdered in that Manchester bonfire on 22 May 2017?"

Wow, what a terrible thing to say. It really is despicable of him to state that someone or anyone does not support the murdered children because he can't have his way. This is coming from someone who criticized how other people dealt with this tragedy and totally disrepected them, calling them morons, on this very album.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom