20 Years Ago: Morrissey loses a court battle, then loses his way on ‘Maladjusted’ by Nick DeRiso

20 Years Ago: Morrissey Loses a Court Battle, Then Loses His Way on ‘Maladjusted’ - Diffuser
By Nick DeRiso.

Excerpt:

"Morrissey was a musician without a sound, a citizen without a country, and man outside the mainstream by the time Maladjusted arrived on Aug. 11, 1997. Beset by all sides, he’d devolve into an unhappy figure who was “devious, truculent and unreliable.”

Those were the words of Judge John Weeks, anyway, as he ruled against Morrissey in a 1996 suit over back royalties brought by his former Smiths bandmate Mike Joyce. Morrissey bristled at the characterization, to the point where his next album was basically sunk by “Sorrow Will Come in the End,” a vicious, dirge-like response to the trial.

In fact, Island Records refused to include the song in U.K. pressings, fearing a libel suit. Morrissey tried to move the album to Mercury, even as he continued to grouse about the seemingly tossed-off cover image. He left England behind in this same darkly unstable period, moving to Los Angeles."

With lots of anniversaries coming up, I guess we should get used to these reflective articles. Some Moz quotes used and the court case rehashed.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Few artists would attempt such a departure from the catchy, quick-paced rock and rockabilly sound that pleasantly permeated Vauxhall, Southpaw, Uncle, Viva Hate, and especially, Your Arsenal. The song, Maladjusted, is one of my favorite Morrissey songs despite the fact that I thought I had purchased a scratched disc that was skipping on my way home from the record store on release day. I've always been puzzled by Roy's Keen, yet I love the song and I'm as big a Keano fan as any Yank could be. His biographies are great books, but Conor O'Callaghan's Red Mist is the best book about Roy. I digress (someone will write, Yes, you do...) The Maladjusted tour was small, intimate, and in my experience, featured Morrissey at his most gracious, humbled, and fan friendly. I believe it was in Glen Burnie, MD, where he played to about 700 people during which he came to the stage and smiled and said, Welcome to the Cohen Bar Mitzvah!

The song "Maladjusted" is as good as anything he's done anywhere and I look at whole package as a sort of super deluxe single with lots of bonus tracks.

'Morrissey Loses a Court Battle, Then Loses His Way on ‘Maladjusted’

'loses' ? :laughing:

It's Joyce that lost, permanently lost.

M's so called 'worst' output is better than most 'artists' best. :rock:

case closed ! :hammer:

Funny I was thinking today how zeitgeist overwrites the actual quality of music, not just in Morrissey's case. Many times artists, bands release fantastic albums but they never get the critical acclaim because they belong to a past movement, or at least labelled that way, and there are more "hip" currrent bands where the attention goes. It can work the other way round, too: YATQ was/is not the comeback the press presented at the time, but he could have released any medoicre album (he actually did), the critics would have praised him because he was suddenly the godfather of indie and many bands referred to him as a major influence.

I also think Maladjusted is a better album than You are the Quarry. In comparison, Quarry doesn't have a natural flow and just sounds like a collection of songs.

Some people also regarded Maladjusted as Morrissey attempting to go back to the Vauxhall sound.

'Morrissey Loses a Court Battle, Then Loses His Way on ‘Maladjusted’

'loses' ? :laughing:

It's Joyce that lost, permanently lost.

M's so called 'worst' output is better than most 'artists' best. :rock:

case closed ! :hammer:

I've got no space and no time
In my life, anymore
No space or time
In my life, anymore
For revenge

Exactly! Methinks they are the 2 best songs on Maladjusted (the third being Ammunition).

And let's not forget the monumental b-sides that made it onto the reissue - Lost, The Edges Are No Longer Parallel and This Is Not Your Country.

MY ONLY MISTAKE IS I'M HOPING

I Can Have Both is the best track he recorded from that period.

Maladjusted is a decent album, some good songs, pretty strong, with decent production.

The only part I hate is Ambitious Outsiders, boy does the synth and production on THAT sound terrible, anti musical and uninspired. Sounds like MIDI music that got dropped from Doom 2

Yet YATQ is smothered in horrible keyboard.

I've got no space and no time
In my life, anymore
No space or time
In my life, anymore
For revenge
Legalized theft
Leaves me bereft
I get it straight in the neck
(Somehow expecting no less)
A court of justice
With no use for Truth
Lawyer ...liar
Lawyer ...liar
You pleaded and squealed
And you think you've won
But Sorrow will come
To you in the end
And as sure as my words are pure
I praise the day that brings you pain
Q.C.'s obsessed with sleaze
Frantic for Fame
They're all on the game
They just use a different name
You lied
And you were believed
By a J.P. senile and vile
You pleaded and squealed
And you think you've won
But Sorrow will come
To you in the end
And as sure as my words are pure
I praise the day that brings you pain
So don't close your eyes
Don't close your eyes
A man who slits throats
Has time on his hands
And I'm gonna get you
So don't close your eyes
Don't ever close your eyes
You think you've won
OH NO

Then how the hell do you account for Dagenham Dave? :lbf:

Dagenham Dave was brilliant!
Great popsong, ironic, funny, with compassion and a slightly jealous undertone, mark my words, I said slightly, which made it even better!
The music was fast, hard, energetic and almost post-punk but with a musical upgrade due to the great musicians.
That band was so tight, hard hitting but melody priority one.
:thumb:

Dagenham Dave was brilliant!
Great popsong, ironic, funny, with compassion and a slightly jealous undertone, mark my words, I said slightly, which made it even better!
The music was fast, hard, energetic and almost post-punk but with a musical upgrade due to the great musicians.
That band was so tight, hard hitting but melody priority one.
:thumb:
To me, it represents the first of three forgettable songs in a row on Southpaw. *ducks to avoid thrown objects*
Musically, it's sound, but the repeated Dagenham Daves do my head in. But hey, if he were to bring it out live, it's still better than hearing Paris for the umpteenth time, I suppose.

The best thing about Dagenham Dave is the video.
For some of us, Gripper Stebson is a formative part of our youth and the video is wonderful.
The song though, really labours the chorus and it's repeated far too much.
Regards,
FWD.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom