28 days latter

• Thread starter regan was regan is ......
  • Start date
R

regan was regan is ......

i just saw this movie and i liked it very much ,many people i met didnt how about you??

I enjoyed it immensely. I've seen it twice already and will be seeing it again. The music, by the way, is amazing. This fact rings true for all of Danny Boyle's films though.

> i just saw this movie and i liked it very much ,many people i met didnt
> how about you??

its good. enjotable.not much more i can say about it really...

It was ok. I was expecting a lot more.

I liked how they tried to depict the mindsets of the people. However, there were many minor faults with the film storyline that they should have improved on.

I did like how parallels could be drawn to Romero's movies. I do not know if this was done on purpose but it was interesting.

What were some of the plot holes you noticed? I've been enjoying shooting some of them down at imdb.com. I'm sure yours are probably pretty well founded, as I admit, I saw some. However, some of the ones people have been bringing up are ridiculous and far too literal. As well as being easily explained away, of course.

Not necessarily plot holes...

1) Well of course you have the obvious...where did all the people go? When driving along those roads out of the cities there should have been abandoned cars of people who were attacked or infected and abandoned their vehicle...and their should have been more corpses of infected people who were hit by cars, or killed by soldiers etc. When everyone in a city is infected with rage, I don't see too many city employees going around cleaning up the corpses. They acknowledge corpses one time in the church...and that is pretty much it.

2) Where are all the pets? Sure this one is a bit nit picky...but considering there are so many cats and dogs, both as pets and as strays...you should have seen a representation. packs of dogs and cats feeding on corpses or something.

3) The characters switched back and forth between being cautious and stupid. They should have been cautious the whole time. They are careful about how they sleep and where they sleep, what they do etc. But when they find a grocery store...they assume first that it is safe for everyone to go shopping with no lookout and no one protecting the vehicle..also that the premises are safe too and no infected people inside. Then when they get gas they are back to being cautious...car parked in a getaway postion, two people on lookout, the child safely in the car, etc. Then when they go to the commando place...they drive in like they are being cautious...but they are driving into what appeared to be a dead end with no easy escape. They navigated sharp turns and narrow passages that they would have had to impossibly reverse through to escape...no they should have stuck to a cautious approach on foot with the engine running for an escape. Also the tunnel...where they decide they could risk destoying their car for 10 seconds of fun.

4) They should have got survival items: gas cans, first aid kits, blankets/towels, Food, weapons, especially a second vehicle/ or larger vehicle... before they left the city. Having secured a second vehicle, they would have gotten some comfort items, like soap, extra clothes, pillows, etc.

5) When the dad gets infected...the corpse looks like it had been sitting out in the sun for several days...the blood should have been coagulated. Instead a nice watery drip is released.

6) The stench of their bodies would have been bad enough. But the stench of a cities inhabitants decay would have been overpowering. Little acknowledgement of this.

PS) These aren't problems...just thoughts...but I would like to know how the one guy escaped the airport with 20,000 infected people all wanting to get him. Also, I would like to know why when that guy was attacked in his house...that the two survivors saved him. I would have assumed he was infected and got the hell out of there.

I have a few more from memory...but this is too long as it is.

Basically to me...this movie looks like someone watched Resident Evil...and thought....it would be interesting to make a movie where Res Evil leaves off. A person waking up in a hospital in a big abandoned city to find that everyone is infected and wants to kill you. Only we won't make it as scary or gross...and we will remove any interesting action or sex from it. Having said that...I did think it was ok on the whole and liked some of the things they did.

> Not necessarily plot holes...

I see your point about some of this stuff, but here's what I thought:

> 1) Well of course you have the obvious...where did all the people go? When
> driving along those roads out of the cities there should have been
> abandoned cars of people who were attacked or infected and abandoned their
> vehicle...and their should have been more corpses of infected people who
> were hit by cars, or killed by soldiers etc. When everyone in a city is
> infected with rage, I don't see too many city employees going around
> cleaning up the corpses. They acknowledge corpses one time in the
> church...and that is pretty much it.

I basically assumed that the people either 1) got infected (obviously), 2) committed suicide to avoid the worser fate, 3) died and got dragged off by the infected and/or torn to shreds, 4) hid, hid, hid, 5) fled. I assume that since the newspaper headline said that the "massive Exodus" was causing worldwide chaos, a whole lot of people got the hell out of there. This could also explain why there weren't a gazillion abandoned cars clogging London's streets. People either stayed in the relative safety of their houses to die quiet deaths or they went to the airports, leaving their cars there. I also assume that a lot more people became infected than were killed. There is some ambiguity as to whether or not the infected ate the people that they did kill. We know that they starve to death, but that does not mean that they did not eat their victims, just that after there were no more victims, their food source was completely exhausted. If you'll remember, the rats ran away from them, suggesting that the infected may have stalked them for food. But who knows really? This could also explain away your next problem...

> 2) Where are all the pets? Sure this one is a bit nit picky...but
> considering there are so many cats and dogs, both as pets and as
> strays...you should have seen a representation. packs of dogs and cats
> feeding on corpses or something.

Possible food for the infected? Or else they ran. Animals are very intuitive. I mean, the infected were so gnarly even rats ran from them. I imagine a cat or dog would do the same.

> 3) The characters switched back and forth between being cautious and
> stupid. They should have been cautious the whole time. They are careful
> about how they sleep and where they sleep, what they do etc. But when they
> find a grocery store...they assume first that it is safe for everyone to
> go shopping with no lookout and no one protecting the vehicle..also that
> the premises are safe too and no infected people inside. Then when they
> get gas they are back to being cautious...car parked in a getaway postion,
> two people on lookout, the child safely in the car, etc. Then when they go
> to the commando place...they drive in like they are being cautious...but
> they are driving into what appeared to be a dead end with no easy escape.
> They navigated sharp turns and narrow passages that they would have had to
> impossibly reverse through to escape...no they should have stuck to a
> cautious approach on foot with the engine running for an escape. Also the
> tunnel...where they decide they could risk destoying their car for 10
> seconds of fun.

Okay, I definitely agree with you here. However, this is a standard problem in most horror/science fiction movies. Jim's behavior, in particular, was troubling. He knew from experience, after going into the church, that going into deserted places was a bad plan, yet he still goes into the little diner. Talk about stupid. But there wouldn't be much of a story if everyone was always cautious. The movie would have been pretty damn uneventful. Besides, our own knowledge of human nature proves that people don't always do the smart thing -- even when they should know better. People are curious creatures. The tunnel thing was stupid, but at least one character acknowledged this. Yeah, they all ststarted laughing, but it's not like they decided to turn it into a Monster Truck Derby for the fun of it.

> 4) They should have got survival items: gas cans, first aid kits,
> blankets/towels, Food, weapons, especially a second vehicle/ or larger
> vehicle... before they left the city. Having secured a second vehicle,
> they would have gotten some comfort items, like soap, extra clothes,
> pillows, etc.

They did have a lot of these things, first of all. Or they seemed to. Anyhow, the city was teeming with the infected and they were in a really nasty area of it anyway, so it made sense to me that they'd just get the hell out and then worry about extra provisions. They really didn't need to stop at all, except maybe for gas. Surely, they could have gone a day or two without replenishing their candy bar supplies. As for gas, they couldn't just go to a gas station and start pumping away, since those mechanisms seem not to have been working. Their only option was to siphon it from other vehicles.

> 5) When the dad gets infected...the corpse looks like it had been sitting
> out in the sun for several days...the blood should have been coagulated.
> Instead a nice watery drip is released.

The only unembalmed bodies I've seen have been on rotten.com, so I can't dispute this. It looked like the crow was pecking at the man's eye, so maybe it was a little juicy. Who knows? Or maybe he hadn't been dead that long. The infected look like they're decaying a bit, even when they're alive.

> 6) The stench of their bodies would have been bad enough. But the stench
> of a cities inhabitants decay would have been overpowering. Little
> acknowledgement of this.

Certain areas of London smell pretty rank to begin with. In any case, all of them (except Jim) had had 28 days to get used to the smell.

> PS) These aren't problems...just thoughts...but I would like to know how
> the one guy escaped the airport with 20,000 infected people all wanting to
> get him. Also, I would like to know why when that guy was attacked in his
> house...that the two survivors saved him. I would have assumed he was
> infected and got the hell out of there.

I have no idea how the guy would have escaped. He said he was on top of a kiosk. Maybe he waited until some of the infected cleared out or he found a way to make a run for it from kiosk to kiosk to whatever to get out. It's pretty much a miracle that anyone survived at all. As for why Selena and Mark would have rushed to Jim's rescue, we can assume it wasn't anything they hadn't done before. They seemed to have had other cohorts in days past. We can assume these are the people being referred to when Selena says, "Nobody ever comes back." They probably lost some of their friends/family members/new acquaintances this way previously. They probably also knew that Jim's screams would have quickly attracted more of the infected to the area, so they had to get rid of the ones already in the house.

> I have a few more from memory...but this is too long as it is.

> Basically to me...this movie looks like someone watched Resident
> Evil...and thought....it would be interesting to make a movie where Res
> Evil leaves off. A person waking up in a hospital in a big abandoned city
> to find that everyone is infected and wants to kill you. Only we won't
> make it as scary or gross...and we will remove any interesting action or
> sex from it. Having said that...I did think it was ok on the whole and
> liked some of the things they did.

Finally, I found it refreshing that this movie had no sex. I hate movies that use up valuable time by showing a f*** scene that has nothing to do with the story. I'm not being prudish. I just think that sex would not have been a huge concern for people running from diseased madmen. Except for those damn soldiers, of course. Anyway, I feel like such a geek for having written this. Please don't rub it in.

> I see your point about some of this stuff, but here's what I thought:

> I basically assumed that the people either 1) got infected (obviously), 2)
> committed suicide to avoid the worser fate, 3) died and got dragged off by
> the infected and/or torn to shreds, 4) hid, hid, hid, 5) fled.

Well then why the pileup in the church? Also, the vehicles had to be moved too...that or there was a towing company that was oblivious to the whole epidemic wondering why so many people were illegally parked.

> Possible food for the infected? Or else they ran. Animals are very
> intuitive. I mean, the infected were so gnarly even rats ran from them. I
> imagine a cat or dog would do the same.

I thought of that too...but then I thought...Why did the crow gorge itself then? Millions of pets and millions of people just can't disappear without a trace. Even fleeing pets would have representation in the city.

> Okay, I definitely agree with you here. However, this is a standard
> problem in most horror/science fiction movies.

Yes...I know...a bit nit picky...but I really hate when movies do stupid things just to get from point a to point b.

> They did have a lot of these things, first of all. Or they seemed to.
> Anyhow, the city was teeming with the infected and they were in a really
> nasty area of it anyway, so it made sense to me that they'd just get the
> hell out and then worry about extra provisions. They really didn't need to
> stop at all, except maybe for gas. Surely, they could have gone a day or
> two without replenishing their candy bar supplies. As for gas, they
> couldn't just go to a gas station and start pumping away, since those
> mechanisms seem not to have been working. Their only option was to siphon
> it from other vehicles.

Well we assumed they had them. But they should have left that store with gallons of drinking water. The city wasn't exactly teeming with infected either. In the beginning there was no one to be found. For a city that size to have a couple here and there? Again...either show me corpses or show me infected. Also, why they would need gas cans is because that previously mentioned company towed most of the cars off the streets...and gas wasn't an easily obtainable resource so it should have been horded.

> The only unembalmed bodies I've seen have been on rotten.com, so I can't
> dispute this. It looked like the crow was pecking at the man's eye, so
> maybe it was a little juicy. Who knows? Or maybe he hadn't been dead that
> long. The infected look like they're decaying a bit, even when they're
> alive.

> Certain areas of London smell pretty rank to begin with. In any case, all
> of them (except Jim) had had 28 days to get used to the smell.

Ugh...I could never get used to the smell of death and decay. It is the foulest thing. You ever walk by a rotting corpse of an animal? ugh...

> I have no idea how the guy would have escaped. He said he was on top of a
> kiosk. Maybe he waited until some of the infected cleared out or he found
> a way to make a run for it from kiosk to kiosk to whatever to get out.
> It's pretty much a miracle that anyone survived at all. As for why Selena
> and Mark would have rushed to Jim's rescue, we can assume it wasn't
> anything they hadn't done before. They seemed to have had other cohorts in
> days past. We can assume these are the people being referred to when
> Selena says, "Nobody ever comes back." They probably lost some
> of their friends/family members/new acquaintances this way previously.
> They probably also knew that Jim's screams would have quickly attracted
> more of the infected to the area, so they had to get rid of the ones
> already in the house.

Well...these two were survivors. They would cut you down in an instant if they thought you were infected. I can't believe they would risk themselves to save a stranger. It went completely against character. The girl the whole time was saying how she didn't need anybody, etc.

> Finally, I found it refreshing that this movie had no sex.

The sex drive is such a powerful drive. Hence the soldiers despicable behaviour. I still say it was a ripoff of Resident Evil.

> Well then why the pileup in the church? Also, the vehicles had to be moved
> too...that or there was a towing company that was oblivious to the whole
> epidemic wondering why so many people were illegally parked.

I explained that in option #3. Some of those bodies were probably dragged off by the infected. Also, the fact that a church contained a large pile of bodies makes sense. A lot of times churches are meeting sights in times of emergency. Or people may have just gone there because they had nowhere else to die. Perhaps they were dumb enough to think they'd be safe there. Or maybe they just wanted to die there. It wouldn't be unheard of. Well, there were pile-ups of cars in the tunnels. Many of those contained dead bodies. Like I said before, the biggest concentration of cars would have been at the seaports and airports. The chunnel station as well, possibly.

> I thought of that too...but then I thought...Why did the crow gorge itself
> then? Millions of pets and millions of people just can't disappear without
> a trace. Even fleeing pets would have representation in the city.

The crow might have been infected or something. Birds might be less inclined to feed, because unless they're the pigeons in Trafalgar Square, they're kind of hard to catch.

> Yes...I know...a bit nit picky...but I really hate when movies do stupid
> things just to get from point a to point b.

Agreed.

> Well we assumed they had them. But they should have left that store with
> gallons of drinking water. The city wasn't exactly teeming with infected
> either. In the beginning there was no one to be found. For a city that
> size to have a couple here and there? Again...either show me corpses or
> show me infected. Also, why they would need gas cans is because that
> previously mentioned company towed most of the cars off the streets...and
> gas wasn't an easily obtainable resource so it should have been horded.

Explained the car thing and I explained where the people probably went.

> Ugh...I could never get used to the smell of death and decay. It is the
> foulest thing. You ever walk by a rotting corpse of an animal? ugh...

I have walked past a rotting animal -- putrid, but bearable. I have a strong stomach. Anyway, if there was death on that scale and you'd had a while to get used to it, you probably wouldn't hold your nose all the time, unless you got right near it. It'd be too redundant.

> Well...these two were survivors. They would cut you down in an instant if
> they thought you were infected. I can't believe they would risk themselves
> to save a stranger. It went completely against character. The girl the
> whole time was saying how she didn't need anybody, etc.

I didn't look at it as them necessarily rushing to save a stranger, but rather to save themselves. If memory serves, the guy, Mark, rushed to the scene first. In the confusion, Selena might just have gone along with it.

> The sex drive is such a powerful drive. Hence the soldiers despicable
> behaviour. I still say it was a ripoff of Resident Evil.

I still thought it was cool that Jim and Selena's rendez-vous were never shown and we never had any reason to believe they ever had any, at least not until after their rescue. It separated them from the "animals," so to speak. They were capable of during off their primitive drives and use reason. Both did what they had to do to survive, but they never fully lost their humanity. Not to say that sex isn't human, but the desire for it did corrupt the soldiers. In a way, I sympathized with them, but just because you're worried about your future and of never having access to women and fathering children doesn't give you the right to rape, etc. They became like animals without even the need for the actual infection. I think the lack of sex between the two leads, who were obviously attracted to each other, spoke volumes.

And I think I am just a little too obsessed with this film. It just really captured my imagination more than any other film I've seen in quite some time.

Back
Top Bottom