Andy Rourke cover+interview in Bass Guitar Magazine

Out next week, hopefully some stuff on The Smiths!

39047_rourke_bass_guitar.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What about his appearance is trendy or youth oriented. He's got one ear ring which stopped being a thing like twenty years ago in 1995 what looks to be a wedding band a ring and a bracelet/watch. Also New York hipsters can be a lot of fun. Sometimes I wonder how old and conservative some people can be here

Does Johnny Marr wear "age appropriate clothing"? Does what's "age appropriate" vary depending on what kind of shape someone's in?
No age appropriate clothing doesn't vary depending on what kind of shape someone is in. I think Johnny Marr's style looks like it is largely smart casual which is fine for the age he is.

What about his appearance is trendy or youth oriented. He's got one ear ring which stopped being a thing like twenty years ago in 1995 what looks to be a wedding band a ring and a bracelet/watch. Also New York hipsters can be a lot of fun. Sometimes I wonder how old and conservative some people can be here
I'm not up-to-date with the latest fashions and trends. I wasn't aware a man wearing one earring was now passé. Are you trying to imply Andy Rourke is stuck in the 1990s in his taste and fashion sense? Andy Rourke may very well think his appearance is on trend and youth oriented, he might be blissfully unaware he stuck in a sort of 1990s time warp. Andy Rourke was still relatively young in the 1990s. I'm no stylist but I think he should update his style, tone it down a notch and go for a 'smart casual' look. I heard Andy Rourke is married to a lady called Francesca Mor so wearing a wedding ring would make sense. I think it is fine to wear a wedding ring if you are married! I do question the other pieces of jewelry though. I saw a photo which looked like Andy Rourke has some trendy looking tattoos. I don't approve of tattoos I see them as a form of self- mutilation. I'm a traditionalist and conservative in my outlook. I would rather be thought of a 'square' than a cool hipster. I'm not interested in parties, nightclubs or trying to be cool. The modern hipster culture to me seems quite fake, bohemian, hedonistic and debauched. I have quite high moral standards.

I'm not up-to-date with the latest fashions and trends. I wasn't aware a man wearing one earring was now passé. Are you trying to imply Andy Rourke is stuck in the 1990s in his taste and fashion sense? Andy Rourke may very well think his appearance is on trend and youth oriented, he might be blissfully unaware he stuck in a sort of 1990s time warp. Andy Rourke was still relatively young in the 1990s. I'm no stylist but I think he should update his style, tone it down a notch and go for a 'smart casual' look. I heard Andy Rourke is married to a lady called Francesca Mor so wearing a wedding ring would make sense. I think it is fine to wear a wedding ring if you are married! I do question the other pieces of jewelry though. I saw a photo which looked like Andy Rourke has some trendy looking tattoos. I don't approve of tattoos I see them as a form of self- mutilation. I'm a traditionalist and conservative in my outlook. I would rather be thought of a 'square' than a cool hipster. I'm not interested in parties, nightclubs or trying to be cool. The modern hipster culture to me seems quite fake, bohemian, hedonistic and debauched. I have quite high moral standards.

I don't think morals really factor into this conversation about fashion trends myself or hipster culture. Straight edge is still a hipster trend for goodness sake. You can't even see his clothes in this photo. What I'm saying about the ear rings is that it was normalized forever ago and hardly counts as a youth trend whether you or I like it or not. Nothing hes wearing here, What little you can see, seems anything other than average musician. He looks very casual and most plain clothes.pared to a lot of muscicans his age

I don't think morals really factor into this conversation about fashion trends myself or hipster culture. Straight edge is still a hipster trend for goodness sake. You can't even see his clothes in this photo. What I'm saying about the ear rings is that it was normalized forever ago and hardly counts as a youth trend whether you or I like it or not. Nothing hes wearing here, What little you can see, seems anything other than average musician. He looks very casual and most plain clothes.pared to a lot of muscicans his age
I agree with you Andy Rourke's clothes (from what I can see) seem fine to me! That isn't an issue for me. You say Andy Rourke is out-of-date and stuck in the 1990s. What I tried to say was he might not be aware of it, he is 52 years old he might be stuck in the 1990s because they were the glory days of his youth! I googled 'Straight edge' as I didn't know what it was. It says on Wikipedia: 'Straight edge' (sometimes abbreviated sXe or signified XXX or X) is a subculture of hardcore punk whose adherents refrain from using alcohol, tobacco and other recreational drugs, in reaction to the excesses of punk subculture. For some, this extends to refraining from engaging in promiscuous sex, following a vegetarian or vegan diet, and/or not using caffeine or prescription drugs. The term straight edge was adopted from the 1981 song "Straight Edge" by the hardcore punk band Minor Threat. Straight edge emerged amid the early-1980s hardcore punk scene. Since then, a wide variety of beliefs and ideas have been associated with some members of the movement, including vegetarianism and animal rights. This is interesting that such a movement exists within punk rock! I think it is sad the 'Straight edge' logo has been made into a tattoo. There is actually something in The Bible about getting tattoos! The Bible mentions tattoos just once, at Leviticus 19:28, which says: “You must not put tattoo marking upon yourselves.” God gave this command to the nation of Israel, thus setting them apart from the neighboring peoples who marked their skin with the names or symbols of their gods. I'm not interested in punk rock or in rock music in general. I don't know much about fashion trends and youth culture. The 'Straight edge' movement doesn't sound like Andy Rourke's life and I don't think he is connected with that particular subculture and scene. I'm a Christian so my morals and values stem from my faith. I personally feel it is wrong for men to wear earrings and lots of jewellery. Jewellery is mainly meant for women to wear to look pretty. It is fine though for a man to wear a 'signet ring' and a wedding ring when he gets married! I think it is wrong for both men and women to get tattoos, piercings or colour their hair strange colours like pink, purple or something. However, I think it fine for a woman to get her ears pierced. Andy Rourke swears sometimes I don't like profanity. Andy Rourke has been into promiscuous sex which is wrong and he divorced his first wife Maxine. Andy Rourke's struggles with recreational drug addiction, alcoholism and nicotine are well documented. I'm guessing he has an addictive personality. Andy Rourke has been into the party lifestyle and clubbing culture. I don't like parties, nightclubs, bars or even music festivals. I heard Andy Rourke is sometimes rude to people. I'm not a vegetarian myself anymore I think it is ok for Andy Rourke to eat small amounts of organic meat just not lots of red meat. I drink coffee myself sometimes I don't think there is anything in The Bible about caffeine. I think it is fine to take prescription medications if you are ill just don't misuse the meds! Andy Rourke claims to be a Christian but I'm really not sure he is. I question how much he actually studies The Bible and if he prays for others.

I agree with you Andy Rourke's clothes (from what I can see) seem fine to me! That isn't an issue for me. You say Andy Rourke is out-of-date and stuck in the 1990s. What I tried to say was he might not be aware of it, he is 52 years old he might be stuck in the 1990s because they were the glory days of his youth! I googled 'Straight edge' as I didn't know what it was. It says on Wikipedia: 'Straight edge' (sometimes abbreviated sXe or signified XXX or X) is a subculture of hardcore punk whose adherents refrain from using alcohol, tobacco and other recreational drugs, in reaction to the excesses of punk subculture. For some, this extends to refraining from engaging in promiscuous sex, following a vegetarian or vegan diet, and/or not using caffeine or prescription drugs. The term straight edge was adopted from the 1981 song "Straight Edge" by the hardcore punk band Minor Threat. Straight edge emerged amid the early-1980s hardcore punk scene. Since then, a wide variety of beliefs and ideas have been associated with some members of the movement, including vegetarianism and animal rights. This is interesting that such a movement exists within punk rock! I think it is sad the 'Straight edge' logo has been made into a tattoo. There is actually something in The Bible about getting tattoos! The Bible mentions tattoos just once, at Leviticus 19:28, which says: “You must not put tattoo marking upon yourselves.” God gave this command to the nation of Israel, thus setting them apart from the neighboring peoples who marked their skin with the names or symbols of their gods. I'm not interested in punk rock or in rock music in general. I don't know much about fashion trends and youth culture. The 'Straight edge' movement doesn't sound like Andy Rourke's life and I don't think he is connected with that particular subculture and scene. I'm a Christian so my morals and values stem from my faith. I personally feel it is wrong for men to wear earrings and lots of jewellery. Jewellery is mainly meant for women to wear to look pretty. It is fine though for a man to wear a 'signet ring' and a wedding ring when he gets married! I think it is wrong for both men and women to get tattoos, piercings or colour their hair strange colours like pink, purple or something. However, I think it fine for a woman to get her ears pierced. Andy Rourke swears sometimes I don't like profanity. Andy Rourke has been into promiscuous sex which is wrong and he divorced his first wife Maxine. Andy Rourke's struggles with recreational drug addiction, alcoholism and nicotine are well documented. I'm guessing he has an addictive personality. Andy Rourke has been into the party lifestyle and clubbing culture. I don't like parties, nightclubs, bars or even music festivals. I heard Andy Rourke is sometimes rude to people. I'm not a vegetarian myself anymore I think it is ok for Andy Rourke to eat small amounts of organic meat just not lots of red meat. I drink coffee myself sometimes I don't think there is anything in The Bible about caffeine. I think it is fine to take prescription medications if you are ill just don't misuse the meds! Andy Rourke claims to be a Christian but I'm really not sure he is. I question how much he actually studies The Bible and if he prays for others.

For God's sake Andrea - get help. You are not well.

I agree with you about this he hasn't aged well. Isn't it usually 'Father Time' or 'Old Father Time' though not Mother Time. I think Andy Rourke looks slightly creepy these days and his complexion is a bit grey and unhealthy looking. Not keen on the earrings and jewelry. I'm guessing he is attempting to look young.

That was my question as well but didn't know for sure as English is not my first language.
You answered it for me, thanks!

A bit of off-topic but if we have Mother Nature and Father Time, and we have Death as the big Brother of Sleep, which are the Children of Mother Nature and Father Time, is Sleep a Sister or a Brother?

I still love The Smiths and Andy Rourke was and is a great bass player.
And he wrote the music and played on one of Morrissey's greatest iconic and somewhat neglected songs " Yes, I Am Blind ".

Now that would be a gem if did that on his next coming concerts! :)
Gerrit

Yeah I'm gonna back away slowly from that.

Traditionally I think it is Mother Nature and Father Time with death being referred to as a woman usually but I don't think any of these are super fixed ideas in most English speakers minds

Thanks for that!
And it is nice of you to back away from the other thing.
Not many people are that graceful if their opinion changes slightly.
Respectfully yours.
Gerrit

Thanks for that!
And it is nice of you to back away from the other thing.
Not many people are that graceful if their opinion changes slightly.
Respectfully yours.
Gerrit

I don't think it nice per se so much as the dense post about what seemed kinda like manic insanity, real or faked, just scared me. Also seems like a waste of time and that's saying something from a guy who spends the majority of his time stuck doing nothing

Andy looks fine... you're wearing blinders if you think he's aged worse than Morrissey. They've all aged. Period. We should all look so good in our 50s and be lucky enough to make a living doing what we love.

I don't think it nice per se so much as the dense post about what seemed kinda like manic insanity, real or faked, just scared me. Also seems like a waste of time and that's saying something from a guy who spends the majority of his time stuck doing nothing

Ah, but who cares.
You can do anything you want with your time, isn't?
Stuck doing nothing can be really nice! I am new here, and I spend time here. Time flies when you're having fun :)

Don't tell me you are not the master of your own time.
If you are not, I wonder who is.
I'm not asking for details off course.

...oh and who cares if he hangs out with younger NYC hipsters? Morrissey's boyfriend, err, excuse me... "assistant" looks a lot younger than Moz and also looks like he's an extra from Zoolander. He surrounds himself with much younger musicians on stage as well (except Boz of course!)

Ah, but who cares.
You can do anything you want with your time, isn't?
Stuck doing nothing can be really nice! I am new here, and I spend time here. Time flies when you're having fun :)

Don't tell me you are not the master of your own time.
If you are not, I wonder who is.
I'm not asking for details off course.

Ok

And yes boy with that dragon tattoo I agree. Hipsters are a lot of fun in general

That was my question as well but didn't know for sure as English is not my first language.
You answered it for me, thanks!

A bit of off-topic but if we have Mother Nature and Father Time, and we have Death as the big Brother of Sleep, which are the Children of Mother Nature and Father Time, is Sleep a Sister or a Brother?

Gerrit
Hi Gerrit, You seem so nice. It was a pleasure to answer your question. Traditionally it is 'Mother Earth' or 'Mother Nature' and 'Father Time' or 'Old Father Time'. Death is known as the 'Grim Reaper'. This is Pagan mythology.
I have never heard of death being referred to as as the Big Brother of Sleep. Sorry I don't know if is Sleep is a Sister or a Brother? I don't know who the children of Mother Nature and Father Time are? I have never heard of death being referred to as a woman in England. See this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_(personification)
I'm a Christian not a pagan. In The Holy Bible Daniel 12:2 describes the dead as “those who sleep in the dust of the earth,” who later “shall awake” through being resurrected.

Interesting. I don't if it's so surprising. He's probably the smiths member he's got the least amount of issues with and was the last member to work with him I think. Also neat to think about how his originally being the guitar player influenced his bass playing as I could see that. The smiths secret weapon in some ways

Surely this Bible-thumper is a wind-up?

Christian person, you do know that you're posting on the Morrissey forum - a rock star who has had sexual relations with persons of the same sex?

fw_fainting-victorian-lady1.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom