Ann West Question

F

Fireglo

Ann West, mother of Moors Murder victim, Leslie-Ann (mentioned in Suffer Little Children) befriended Morrissey after he explained to her how the song was a tribute to the victims, rather than a sick twisted song.

Does anybody know more about their relationship? Is it documented anywhere?
Has Morrissey ever spoken openly about how The Moors Murders affected him?

Ann West, mother of Moors Murder victim, Leslie-Ann (mentioned in Suffer Little Children) befriended Morrissey after he explained to her how the song was a tribute to the victims, rather than a sick twisted song.

Does anybody know more about their relationship? Is it documented anywhere?
Has Morrissey ever spoken openly about how The Moors Murders affected him?

In the Severed Alliance, page 203 (New Revised Edition) it states (re the controversy of Suffer Little Children)
Over the next few days, an extraodinary series of phone conversations took place in which (Ann) West detailed her years of suffering and even reduced (Scot) Piering to tears. After recieving various Smiths records, photographs and even a personal letter from Morrissey, West was assured The Smiths intentions were honourable. 'Mrs West sent us a letter', explained Piering, 'saying she believed Morrissey was a good boy and was serious about the song and she thought it was very touching. She was strongly on our side and really helped us.'
The flames of controversy were virtually doused when West contacted the Kilbride family and spoke in favour of the beleaguered Smiths.
The only positive aspect of the controversy for Morrissey was that he met and befriended another character from his mythological past. He continued to correspond with Ann West, invited her and her husband to see the group, and even included their names on the credits to the next Smiths album.

In terms of how did the murders affect Morrissey, I can't remember where I read it, but it was stated that Morrissey felt had Brady / Hindley not been caught, he could have been another victim - or words to that effect.

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
I don't think he has spoken openly about how the Moors Murders affected him - apart, from some rather morbid speculation/fantasy about how it might have been himself rather than Keith Bennett. As teenagers a lot of people are interested in true crime, I know I was.

But why should Morrissey "speak openly" about this subject or that? It's all there in the song(s). IMO Moz should speak a LOT less and concentrate on letting his lyrics do the talking. ;)

There is a documentary I saw on UK tv about four years ago, where he said something like that Hindley should be buried head-first, like she had done to her victims. It was about the same time that Hindley died and the papers went mental.

he also talked about ann west recently in the hot press interview this year .scans are in the hot press thread...

edit
here it is^

Last edited:
he also talked about ann west recently in the hot press interview this year .scans are in the hot press thread...

Oh yes, in relation to the Maddie McCann case, something about her being a middle class kid and her mother a bit fit so there is media interest where as working class kids and parents are not bothered with by the media.

Jukebox Jury

It was about the same time that Hindley died and the papers went mental.

I have my doubts as to whether she is dead. Lord Longford had long campaigned to the parole board and it was reported in the papers that it was being considered. The next thing she is dead and cremated and no-one attended the funeral.

I have my doubts as to whether she is dead. Lord Longford had long campaigned to the parole board and it was reported in the papers that it was being considered. The next thing she is dead and cremated and no-one attended the funeral.

it was a private funneral people did attend but it was private ... i dont think people would be quing up to pay their respects

Back
Top Bottom