any morrissey songs that could be World Cup Anthems?

Puddle

Banned
there is Irish Blood, English Heart...

what else?

National Front Disco may inspire the Hooligans. That's always fun. but it can't really be a World Cup Anthem...

Anything Else?

The World (Cup) Is Full of Crashing Bores

Sweet and Tender Hooligan(s)

Ambitious Outsiders (anthem for the underdogs)

Sorrow Will Come In The End (self explanatory :p )

sincerely "the world is full of crashing bores"...that love to watch men chasing a leather ball... and I must be one U.u

You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side. It's literally crying out to be a World Cup anthem. ;)

Have-A-Go Merchant has great music that would fit. also that part where people can join in (oh aha, aha, aha ohhhh aha). the lyrics don't fit though.

Roy's Keen??

would be relevant if
a) Eire were playing
b) if Mr Keane could be bothered to actually stay the distance and not go home sulking before a ball is kicked!

How about 'you're the one for me, fatty' for Wayne 'Shrek' Rooney
Scottish fans sat at home could sing 'We hate it when our friends become successful'
Sven singing 'I can have both' to Nancy and Ulrika (and the other one he shagged, the secretary)
All the referee's covering 'yes I am blind'
The Brazil squad singing 'That's entertainment'

The Goat

Re: Roy's Keen??

National Front Disco, without a doubt.

And with Moz on stage wrapped in a Union Jack.

(Sounds familiar....)

I live in the U.S., where the World Cup means little and the World Cup Anthem means absolutely nothing. So I'm definitely not attuned to the subleties of what would make a great World Cup Anthem.

That said, I think Rushes totally wins the thread with You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side.

Roy's Keen is funny, but I do wonder what everyone would make of that 'finer window cleaner' bit.

'Wide to Receive' has a good title, but the rest of the content, eh hm. And that bit about the internet is just embarrassing.

Can we include Smiths songs? 'Cause I'm pretty sure I'd have to go with A Rush and a Push and the Land Is Ours.

love, math+

A couple other potential ones from his solo career...

The Last of the Famous International Playboys - considered in a certain light, that's what soccer players (er sorry, footballers) are, right? And their fans too?

Alma Matters - has that passionate universality to it. To someone, somewhere, this MATTERS.

and on the chance that perhaps the World Cup takes place on Sunday (truly I have no idea) - Everyday is Like Sunday?

xo, math+

A Boro Anthem?

Maccarone is me
Ravenelli you'll never be
I entered nothing and nothing entered me
'Til you came with the key
And you did your best but

As I live and breathe
You have killed me
You have killed me
Yes I walk around somehow
But you have killed me
You have killed me

Piazza Cavour, we need to score 4

Re: Roy's Keen??

andy_fozzy said:
National Front Disco, without a doubt.

And with Moz on stage wrapped in a Union Jack.

(Sounds familiar....)

What's the NF got to do with football?

Do you go to football matches or are you a Leeds fan?

So no one has suggested We'll Let You Know yet? ;)

I like the Nobody Loves Us suggestion, but You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side (which is criminally overlooked as one of the best songs from Your Arsenal, or of his entire career) is my choice. Even though I don't even understand what a World Cup Anthem is and what makes a song a suitable candidate for one.

Back
Top Bottom