Article on the enduring legacy of The Smiths

Depends on your opinion of the Long Blondes. The Boyfriends are a shambles.

I love these articles. "The Smiths have never been more influential!", the writers trumpet, and then list a bunch of Smiths-inspired bands who, if they realize their full potential, might one day develop into mediocrities. One could just as easily interview any other quartet of indie bands and prove the lasting and profound influence of Wang Chung.

I love these articles. "The Smiths have never been more influential!", the writers trumpet, and then list a bunch of Smiths-inspired bands who, if they realize their full potential, might one day develop into mediocrities. One could just as easily interview any other quartet of indie bands and prove the lasting and profound influence of Wang Chung.

Now hold on there <irony> they had some great tunes. Remember Dance Hall Days? </irony>. You're right though, it just goes to show what happens when two stars collide, rather than a meteor burn up and fizzle out.

Peter

What made the Smiths so good was probably that you'd never heard anything quite like them before mostly due to their array of influences.

Still, it always amazes me that such a perfect band seem to have inspired so many hapless acts.

There are always brighter moments like The Libertines to give us some hope that our band didn't just inspire a bunch of tuneless, talentless fools.

What made the Smiths so good was probably that you'd never heard anything quite like them before mostly due to their array of influences.

Still, it always amazes me that such a perfect band seem to have inspired so many hapless acts.

There are always brighter moments like The Libertines to give us some hope that our band didn't just inspire a bunch of tuneless, talentless fools.
Well, they did inspire Suede. And Interpol (who name them as one of their influences) aren't that bad. Belle & Sebastian are fine (though I don't think they sound similar to The Smiths). The Organ are OK. Who else is there?

Well, they did inspire Suede. And Interpol (who name them as one of their influences) aren't that bad. Belle & Sebastian are fine (though I don't think they sound similar to The Smiths). The Organ are OK. Who else is there?

erm I dont think so at all but The ordinary boys, fall out bot, mcr, panic (I'm sorry :o , )

The Sundays and Echobelly.

The influence of Morrissey and The Smiths runs much deeper than just those bands who are copyists. Just because artists don't state it doesn't mean they aren't influenced by them.

The whole of the Britpop movement owed a great debt to Morrissey. Yet you wouldn't have got any of them giving him credit in the nineties when his name was mud with critics. They didn't want to jeopardise how many column inches they might get. Damon Albarn's whole stage persona and vocal style in the nineties was based on Morrissey's. For someone as ambitious as him however, it would have been career suicide to give Moz the credit and quote him as an influence. Similarly Noel Gallagher was very vocal about his admiration of Johnny Marr at that time but it's only been recently he's felt it's OK to say the same about Morrissey.

It all comes down to what influences are fashionable to quote at any moment in time. If you want your band to get off the ground with the critics it's important to mention all the right names.

The influence of Morrissey and The Smiths runs much deeper than just those bands who are copyists. Just because artists don't state it doesn't mean they aren't influenced by them.

The whole of the Britpop movement owed a great debt to Morrissey.
I agree. I'm just not sure if that is a good thing... :p

Back in 1992 or 1993, Albarn made a point of saying Blur wasn't influenced by Morrissey or The Smiths. He didn't insult Morrissey but he was clearly dismissive. Considering how Blur turned out, and what Albarn has done with Gorillaz, etc, I think that was a genuine statement and not an attempt to avoid career suicide. Ray Davies is a far more likely source of his inspiration.

Back in 1992 or 1993, Albarn made a point of saying Blur wasn't influenced by Morrissey or The Smiths. He didn't insult Morrissey but he was clearly dismissive. Considering how Blur turned out, and what Albarn has done with Gorillaz, etc, I think that was a genuine statement and not an attempt to avoid career suicide. Ray Davies is a far more likely source of his inspiration.
In his book "The Last Party: Britpop, Blair and the Demise of British Rock", John Harris goes into detail about the background of the members of Blur and the way they met and started the band, and states that one of the things that they found as a common ground when they first met was a love for The Smiths. The book is, as far as I could see, very informative, well-researched and supported by many quotes, and Harris never seemed to be writing unconfirmed rubbish.

Of course, The Kinks were another big influence, maybe more significant, on Damon Albarn. But the fact that he claimed in 1992/1993 that he wasn't influenced by The Smiths/Morrissey doesn't mean that he trully wasn't.

BTW, talking of the attitude of Britpop artists towards Morrissey, remember Brett Anderson's dismissive comments on Morrissey's personality?

Last edited:

'Charmless Man' was an obvious nod to The Smiths.

I think The Smiths influenced, in one sense or another, all important British bands from the early 90s onwards: Suede, Manics, Blur, Oasis, B&S, Libertines and of course Radiohead.

Well, I disagree. I can hear Morrissey all through Damon's vocal style and his early Blur stage mannerisms were all about Morrissey.

Just because he denied it doesn't mean it isn't true. Damon is a very ambitious person and saying he was not influenced by Morrissey was the right thing to say at the time. I think his subsequent career proves that. He is a chameleon who will change his musical direction according to how the wind is blowing.

Well, I disagree. I can hear Morrissey all through Damon's vocal style and his early Blur stage mannerisms were all about Morrissey.

Just because he denied it doesn't mean it isn't true. Damon is a very ambitious person and saying he was not influenced by Morrissey was the right thing to say at the time. I think his subsequent career proves that. He is a chameleon who will change his musical direction according to how the wind is blowing.

Damon's denial of The Smiths/Morrissey influence possibly related to the rivalry between Blur and Suede as well.
His ex-girlfriend Justine also previously a member of Suede.

The Organ are ok but are also blatantly copying The Smiths. Suede granted. As much as I love Interpol I can't really hear any Smiths influence in there apart from them having decent lyrics. They sound more like a merger between Joy Division and the Pixies to me.

Anyway, back on track, there were plenty of decent bands who came out a few years ago who would cite Morrissey/The Smiths as an influence. I'm not so sure that any of the current crop who are claiming they were influenced are anything to write home about though.

The Organ are ok but are also blatantly copying The Smiths. Suede granted. As much as I love Interpol I can't really hear any Smiths influence in there apart from them having decent lyrics. They sound more like a merger between Joy Division and the Pixies to me.
Funny, Interpol's lyrics are the only problem I have with them... many of their lyrics just don't seem to make any sense to me. ("We spies, we slow hands, put weights around yourself..." :confused: )

I don't think they sound much like Joy Division, even though people keep saying they do - apart from Paul Banks' voice, which is really A LOT like Ian Curtis'. I can't hear any Pixies in their sound either. They remind me more of The Chameleons, mixed with a bit of early Smiths (especially on the debut, not so much on "Antics"). But there are plenty of bands they resemble more than they resemble Joy Division.

Back
Top Bottom