Austin, TX - Austin Music Hall (May 24, 2014) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.
Set List:

One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell / Speedway / Ganglord / All You Need Is Me / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Istanbul / Hand In Glove / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / The Bullfighter Dies / Life Is A Pigsty / Trouble Loves Me / Yes, I Am Blind / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Earth Is The Loneliest Planet / Meat Is Murder / The National Front Disco // Asleep / First Of The Gang To Die

set list provided by !Viva Hate! and Lushey.

• Morrissey played Austin (and Dallas on his birthday): setlist, pics & video (121 photos total) by Tim Griffin - BrooklynVegan. Link posted by an anonymous person.

austin.jpg

Last edited:
It is a British slang expression, quite old, and often said by gossipy women, of another woman who, perhaps divorced or widowed has taken up with another man. "Have you heard? Doris at number six has got herself a fancy man."
Men say it too? Anyway, good for Doris.

Agree with the setlist, aynim was early on and a nice surprise.

For mim the band stopped playing abruptly midsong and all stood and turned to watch the video, not finishing the song and letting the video play out. It was chilling and got a lot of people who were heads down in their phones to look up. Those drunks (and there were plenty of them) near me got uncomfortable and pissed by the silence. I thought it was a brilliant tactic to get people to watch.

It is a British slang expression, quite old, and often said by gossipy women, of another woman who, perhaps divorced or widowed has taken up with another man. "Have you heard? Doris at number six has got herself a fancy man."

Thanks. And lol to the anon who wrote good for Doris.

Also interesting the band stopped to listen to the video. I bet it was eerie, and Austin was denied the BOMs...

I was following the tweets last night (in general twitter is not the bastion of accurate information) and this guy was a regular contributor. He didn't have a lot of good things to say about the show as a casual Smiths listener, but I was rather impressed with this observation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a good night. Sounds like ISTANBUL has continued from the classic spoken word video, which is just lovely.

Over here, we have * bank holiday and rain, rain. Enjoy !

Hazard

Crowd was loud, but people up front were motionless and silent. I was about 6 people back from the stage and no one up front seemed to clap, sing along or seem enthused in the least (I was up around stage right). I was hootin' and hollerin' (as we are known to do in Texas) between songs and the guys in front of me were laughing to each other every time I let out a "whoo!". After about 3 times of outwardly laughing in my face for showing support for the band I confronted him and he backed down but quick. The only time the people in front of me moved their hands at all was to put their cellphone up in the air to take a picture. And then look at it and scroll through the pictures!! While Morrissey was playing!! Towards the end of the set Moz looked at someone in the front and said "bored?" By the time of the encore I had had enough of the human tent poles and during FOTGTD I elbowed my way up to the barricade and sang and danced my heart out with a group of other happy fans!!

Amazing! Was kicked in the face upon trying to jump onstage, but it's okay. I handed moz a pin (one of my favorite pins) that says "Would you still like me if i had AIDS?"-- hope he wasn't offended, as the pin is cute and purple and has a very nice design, it's just meant for aesthetic purposes. Moz if you read this, please take care of the pin, and thank you for such a lovely show. :)

One of the most bizzare posts i've read around here, and that in itself is very impressive.

Crowd was loud, but people up front were motionless and silent. I was about 6 people back from the stage and no one up front seemed to clap, sing along or seem enthused in the least (I was up around stage right). I was hootin' and hollerin' (as we are known to do in Texas) between songs and the guys in front of me were laughing to each other every time I let out a "whoo!". After about 3 times of outwardly laughing in my face for showing support for the band I confronted him and he backed down but quick. The only time the people in front of me moved their hands at all was to put their cellphone up in the air to take a picture. And then look at it and scroll through the pictures!! While Morrissey was playing!! Towards the end of the set Moz looked at someone in the front and said "bored?" By the time of the encore I had had enough of the human tent poles and during FOTGTD I elbowed my way up to the barricade and sang and danced my heart out with a group of other happy fans!!

why is it people are judged based on how they behave at a concert? if someone gets a bigger kick out of having an observational experience, as opposed to a more participatory experience, so what?

You sound like the kind of idiot who ruins the concert for normal people. People don't pay $80 a ticket to listen to your shitty renditions of the songs or have to struggle to see around all the gay flailing you do.

You sound like the kind of idiot who ruins the concert for normal people. People don't pay $80 a ticket to listen to your shitty renditions of the songs or have to struggle to see around all the gay flailing you do.

Awww Viva, I can identify with that guy. The front ten rows are like walking dead trance meetings. However I CAN'T STAND when people sing loud and drunk and don't know the lyrics or are oblivious they are tone deaf. Which show are you guys going to? I'll say a prayer Moz doesn't mumble-sing any of the songs. :thumb:

Amazing! Was kicked in the face upon trying to jump onstage, but it's okay. I handed moz a pin (one of my favorite pins) that says "Would you still like me if i had AIDS?"-- hope he wasn't offended, as the pin is cute and purple and has a very nice design, it's just meant for aesthetic purposes. Moz if you read this, please take care of the pin, and thank you for such a lovely show. :)

Line friend! So happy you had a nice show and you did fight your way to the front( with or without beating someone with your heel) great show

Haha! Yes! It was me who ruined the concert. For the "normal people". With my "gay flailing" no less. You must have been there to see me! Next time, come closer so we can snuggle.

Awww Viva, I can identify with that guy. The front ten rows are like walking dead trance meetings. However I CAN'T STAND when people sing loud and drunk and don't know the lyrics or are oblivious they are tone deaf. Which show are you guys going to? I'll say a prayer Moz doesn't mumble-sing any of the songs. :thumb:

I don't think we're going to any more shows the rest of this year...we've well surpassed our yearly Morrissey budget already.

So? What did you think? Having now been to both shows?

He introduced Istanbul as a new song that nobody would know. Very intimate and beautifully sung.

One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell / Speedway / Ganglord / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Istanbul / Everyday Is Like Sunday / The Bullfighter Dies / Hand In Glove / All You Need Is Me / Life Is A Pigsty / Trouble Loves Me / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Earth Is The Loneliest Planet/ Yes, I Am Blind / Meat Is Murder / The National Front Disco // Asleep / First Of The Gang To Die

Not 100% sure about it being the correct order. Life Is A Pig sty was absolutely phenomenal. Morrissey was in very good spirits. In Meat is Murder, the entire band stopped playing and watched the video. I think two got on stage. Once they got past security, Moz's boys helped them onstage. Crowd was very energetic.

Beaumont, front row tomorrow!

I don't think we're going to any more shows the rest of this year...we've well surpassed our yearly Morrissey budget already.

Oh I thought you were catching the Florida shows.

What's interesting is that on the side of the stage that "allsaints" claim was pillar-like immobile and not enjoying the show, that was all Moz VIPs for the most part, who get in either by guest list or wristband night after night. If you've been to more than a few shows, you'd know this by now. So if allsaint or CG or anyone wants to complain about lack of fan interaction based on how they just stand there, you'd be dead wrong. Those folks are there, in the same spot, night after night and at his doing as well.

I for one prefer to stand, watch and sing along. I don't need to sing at the top of my lungs, jump like a pogo stick and crash into people who are trying to enjoy the show. To categorize me or any other fan otherwise is inaccurate.

So? What did you think? Having now been to both shows?

The Beaumont show exceeded the Austin show on so many levels. A very intimate venue and an extreme "in your face" experience by Morrissey as well as the band. I was one of the lucky ones to arrive early and planted my self right at the stage. In "Hand In Glove," as he sang "I probably will never see you again," he switched the mic to his left hand, extended and gave me a very firm, hour long (well it seemed that way) handshake. Then, later on, he shook my hand again. Phenomenal night! I was glad to have witnessed an awesome show in Austin, furthermore I was overwhelmed by this extraordinary show in Beaumont. I met many regulars and had a great time jamming with them. In fact, I am a bit jealous that they are able to travel the country and see so many shows with Morrissey. If given the chance, I would love to tag along and witness historical/hysterical nights after nights.

BTW, thanks for asking.

Kristeen Young sucked. No, she was worse than that. Abysmally unpleasing to the ear maybe sums her act up. If there was any way to skip her and still get good seats, I would have done it. I took my daughters who are 18 and 20, and they were NOT impressed with her either. Meat is Murder freaked us all out.

I have been a Smiths fan since 1985, and was hoping for more of their songs, but just to be in the same room as Morrissey was wonderful. He and his band were classy, the music was excellent, and it was an overall memorable experience. I was also impressed by how gentle and low key Morrissey seemed in a concert setting, compared to other artists I have seen live. He just oozed serenity and peace.

Back
Top Bottom