Best song on Without Music the World Dies so far

Best song on Without Music the World Dies so far?

• Total voters

I'm not playing until the man who wrote this returns.

Nine times fined
Never mind
Things can only improve
We are just stood here
Waiting for the next great wound
And we just can't wait to make more mistakes
And to fluff our breaks, and to stuff our faces with cake
All in all, imagine this :
Nobody loves us
Dab-hands at trouble
With four days of stubble, we are
Never loosen the grip on our hand
Call us home
Kiss our cheeks
Nobody loves us
So we...oh...we tend to please ourselves
People think all we do
Is lie around and think of how
Rich we'd be if we didn't think
Life could improve
And we just can't wait to make more mistakes
And we just can't wait till the whole thing blows up in our face
Call us home
Kiss our cheeks
Nobody loves us
Dab-hands at Trouble
With four days of stubble, we are
So, never loosen the grip on our hand
Call us home
Make our tea
Nobody loves us
Call us home
Tuck us in
Nobody wants us
Dreamers and schemers
All pie-eyed, and bog-eyed, and cross-eyed
Oh, never loosen the grip on our hand
Whack us, then
Hug us hard
Nobody loves us
And we just can't stress, oh, how more the mess
And complete distress won't make much difference to us
Sing us our
Favorite song
Nobody loves us
Born-again atheists
Practicing troublemakers
Make us our
Favorite jam
Nobody loves us
Useless and shiftless
And jobless
But we're all yours

will that man return?

It’s possible. But not anytime soon judging by the very recent lyrics. Though if one cares to look, it could be seen that Morrissey has always been busy burying the previous ‘Morrissey’ more or less. Maybe this is his way of recreating himself in the way Bowie once did. If so, maybe this can be considered Morrissey’s Thin White Duke period. Well, I hope he returns safely

In terms of instrumentals, Notre-Dame is quite wonderful but the ham-fisted lyrics are what nudge me to vote for WMTWD instead. None of them are very strong lyrically for someone of M's calibre but perhaps there will be some stronger lyrics in the songs to come. I do wish BOT hadn't been trapped in purgatory as it really had some beautiful songs.

Last edited:
The music for both 'Pop' and 'Notre Dame' share a sort of funky 70's disco swagger - this could well be an interesting avenue to explore for a Morrissey album, and something a bit different. Unfortunately the lyrics are pretty woeful, so have negated any excitement I had about the album.

It's slightly unfair to compare when we've only heard 3 songs off 'Without Music' and 7 off 'Bonfire' - but on the evidence so far, it looks like 'Bonfire' might end up being the better of the two. Even with the awful 'Kerouac's Crack' on it.

Anything Alain writes (Notre-Dame) deserves lyrics that are just as top-notch (see: Life Is A Pigsty).

In terms of instrumentals, Notre-Dame is quite wonderful but the ham-fisted lyrics are what nudge me to vote for WMTWD instead. None of them are very strong lyrically for someone of M's calibre but perhaps there will be some stronger lyrics in the songs come. I do wish BOT hadn't been trapped in purgatory as it really had some beautiful songs.

Exactly.

Speculation here, but what do you think of Morrissey feeling that the lyrics on ND are exactly what the music needed?

I'd refer you to Kerouac's Crack.

yeah, …kind of.

I still have the words he said to me when we met briefly at a book signing. Pretty sure I recorded the audio somewhere but it's very faint. Need to find that file.

“The A&R man said, ‘I don’t hear a single.’”

Notre Dame is an easy worst-ever Morrissey song; we've endured some lean years; doggerel songs with one thinly stretched verse repeated over and over again, seriously underwritten notwithstanding the reactionary politics, but this is an obvious new low. Impressively bad.

From these 3, although I'm not happy with all of them, it's definitely "Pop"...I'm not good in separating lyrics and music if they are that bad, so I can't entirely ignore them, because lyrics always play a big part for me. "Pop" has at least some kind of lyrics to it and not the lined-up radicalised Boomer Bingo of WMTWD. Its also quite groovy and I really like the feel of it.
Notre Dame...Well I really really like the music, but the lyrics are an absolute No for me. Thematically awful, but besides that the endless repetition is just half arsed. I'm always totally curious about his songs when you only got the titles, but seeing these three I'm a bit scared for "Many icebergs ago" and Co. to be honest. BOT had at least some moments ("Oblivion" for example). I guess we will see (or not).
Strictly musically speaking I like the vibe of them all, sure they are different and more groovy than BOT, which seemed to be more classic Morrissey but it sounds like the people recording it had fun and the melodies really stick with you, so that's that. I wish that Morrissey would get inspired lyrically again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom