Birmingham - Genting Arena (Feb. 27, 2018) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

You'll Be Gone / Suedehead / I Wish You Lonely / Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage / My Love, I'd Do Anything For You / The Bullfighter Dies / Munich Air Disaster 1958 / When You Open Your Legs / I Started Something I Couldn't Finish / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / I Bury The Living / Back On The Chain Gang / If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me / Spent The Day In Bed / Jack The Ripper / Who Will Protect Us From The Police? / Hold On To Your Friends / Home Is A Question Mark / How Soon Is Now? / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Speedway // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist provided by Famous when dead.

• Morrissey on irresistible form at the Genting Arena - review, setlist and more by James Rodger (5 photos) - Birmingham Live. Link posted by an anonymous person.

42353_birmingham.jpg
  • Morrissey, Genting Arena, Birmingham - review with pics by Tom Oakley (12 photos by Dave Cox) - Express & Star. Link posted by Famous when dead.
  • Morrissey review – this once charming man by Kitty Empire (2 of 5 stars, 1 photo by Andrew Fox) - The Observer. Link posted by Uncleskinny (original post).

Last edited:
You've never met people who said yes all their life and took things upon themselves. I hope you will not become one of them and those people are the ones getting accepted cause they never ever say no but pay a huge price healthwise.
I rarely know how people have acted for their entire lives.
I am however, aware of those who like to jump to conclusions and makes judgements upon others based on very little evidence and usually coloured with assumptions accompanied by the implicit notion of their own superiority.
I believe we should assume the best in everybody until they prove otherwise.
Even you Russian.

Last edited:
Very true. I went to my niece's birthday party and she was sitting out on the front yard with a friend and they were both mesmerized by their hand held devices. So I asked her who she was texting, and she said her friend sitting next to her! WTF? Seriously?

I have truly only felt old twice in my life. Once, when a teenager came up to ask me a question at a gas station when I was in my early twenties only to start his question with Sir... :eek: and the time above. God bless any woman who must confront being called Mam.

Technology is both a blessing and a curse. What are we gaining and what are we losing from it as a society? One thing for sure is that young people don't give a sh*t, and well they shouldn't. It takes quite some time to see a world beyond your own wants and needs. However, this "soft world" that kids for the most part live in today seems to slow up the process of maturation. I myself remember when remote control TVs came out and that blew my mind. Until you have got up off the couch to change the station you haven't really lived! :D
Very wise comments, evennow. My kids get upset when I bang on about this stuff so I have to keep remembering to look at it from their point of view. My daughter says, this is just how we do things. In your day everybody probably said your generation watched too much TV (she's right, they did).

I have been searching for a quote I once read but cannot find, I think attributed to ancient Egyptian graffiti on the walls of a tomb, which went something like, 'The youth of today will be death of us'. But there are plenty of other examples of oldies despairing of the younger generation: "The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves." Peter the Hermit, 1274. So this is nothing new and the iPhone addiction is just the latest way we think youth are going to destroy the fabric of society. But of course they won't, because they will grow up and despair of their own kids for something which hasn't yet been invented.

Fake news has reached Solo and the only truth is on the right. Show me the pictures the one on the left took and prove they are real. It cannot be done. There exists one photo of earth from space and one of Hubble but the Hubble one did not pass the forensics photo test and you can test that yourself online.
Give a better example of someone that did something for real instead and so far the babe on the right is winning this.
True dat. I once saw a documentary called 'Capricorn One' starring James Brolin and David Attenborough where they sneaked a camera into NASA and proved beyond doubt that the moon is in fact not in orbit around the earth but is actually in a hangar in the desert where presumably it fell to earth back when dinosaurs hunted black men. Now the cops fulfil that role.

Very true. I went to my niece's birthday party and she was sitting out on the front yard with a friend and they were both mesmerized by their hand held devices. So I asked her who she was texting, and she said her friend sitting next to her! WTF? Seriously?

I have truly only felt old twice in my life. Once, when a teenager came up to ask me a question at a gas station when I was in my early twenties only to start his question with Sir... :eek: and the time above. God bless any woman who must confront being called Mam.

Technology is both a blessing and a curse. What are we gaining and what are we losing from it as a society? One thing for sure is that young people don't give a sh*t, and well they shouldn't. It takes quite some time to see a world beyond your own wants and needs. However, this "soft world" that kids for the most part live in today seems to slow up the process of maturation. I myself remember when remote control TVs came out and that blew my mind. Until you have got up off the couch to change the station you haven't really lived! :D

Maybe they wanted there conversation private so they could say what they wanted to instead of having to filter in from ny of others. Shoulda asked why

I am however, aware of those who like to jump to conclusions and makes judgements upon others based on very little evidence and usually coloured with assumptions accompanied by the implicit notion of their own superiority.
Even you Russian.
You love to deflect from the issue here and approach other people like they have no life experience at all but you see I do and loads at that. People with fatigue syndrome who end up having in some cases stroke never ever said no to anyone and they were accepted as long as they did.
Don't walk that road to hell, you might end up there anyway.

True dat. I once saw a documentary called 'Capricorn One' starring James Brolin and David Attenborough where they sneaked a camera into NASA and proved beyond doubt that the moon is in fact not in orbit around the earth but is actually in a hangar in the desert where presumably it fell to earth back when dinosaurs hunted black men. Now the cops fulfil that role.
LOL

Shame there never was any kind of dinosaurs that most believe in, not the big ones anyway. There are 10 points based on science and biology you cannot get past and still believe in them.

You do have a way of expressing yourself that I quite enjoy. I am not going to argue humans in space or monkeys for that matter. Although, I think we can agree that Gordo was quite cute:

255px-Gordo_before_launch.jpg

Back up the ladder ROG and please come down with something more interesting for us. Time is too short to be quibbling about the truth. Let's bury the hatchet...into that girl's smart phone and save humanity from at least her contribution to nothingness.
Oh make no mistake about it, she is totally useless. That's how the new mall rats look like and they have in common that they worship ignorance.
Your knowledge on the space race used as a power tool during the cold war and beyond needs a little more fine tuning but a black and white picture is a start.

Oh well, that proves it.
Not at all just my personal experience but even before that happened this was debated like crazy here and abroad on tv and in papers and so on. In UK the debate is the same as in Sweden and peoples experience of 90's kids is fascinating. 90's kids are victims of kindergarten and schools telling them they are perfect and can be anything. The whole debate should point toward that and not the individuals.
Not that you were ever interested in debate or knowledge and so on but you love to get yourself involved in things cause of your obvious need to display your obvious shortcomings.

Very wise comments, evennow. My kids get upset when I bang on about this stuff so I have to keep remembering to look at it from their point of view. My daughter says, this is just how we do things. In your day everybody probably said your generation watched too much TV (she's right, they did).

I have been searching for a quote I once read but cannot find, I think attributed to ancient Egyptian graffiti on the walls of a tomb, which went something like, 'The youth of today will be death of us'. But there are plenty of other examples of oldies despairing of the younger generation: "The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves." Peter the Hermit, 1274. So this is nothing new and the iPhone addiction is just the latest way we think youth are going to destroy the fabric of society. But of course they won't, because they will grow up and despair of their own kids for something which hasn't yet been invented.
In the future when all is well and truly f***ed, people won't be able to read or write or speak in proper sentences. Books will be burned and houses will be invaded when neighbours can't afford to pay their electricity bills after charging their phones for 23 hours of the day. People will starve to death as they forget all bodily functions as they stare into the abyss of the smart phone. It will he worse than The Walking Dead because at least the shuffling zombies we know today get some exercise as they slowly follow their victims. Future zombies will die from couch sores. Armageddon Days Are Here (Again).

I do worry we're raising a generation of narcissists. All this self-attention is very addictive and not healthy. I recently went to a joint 50th/18th birthday party where there were naturally two distinct crowds of people: the young and the middle aged. When the DJ got going I looked across the room and I could see a sea of little lights in one corner of the dance floor; all the young folk were filming themselves dancing and gurning into their iPhones. This is the age where nothing is real unless it's posted on Snapchat. For those of us who grew up before mobiles were even invented, these are strange times.
I think it is more than narcissism and there are people trying to make young people older than they are which is because those people are paedophiles. No one learned anything from the Me Too campaign cause it focused too much on a few famous people instead of the wider picture.

Even you Russian.
So you went to hell after all.

That makes sense (not).

I think I know what he is trying to say. Not always, but in this case.

In general people want to belong.
Be part of a group which unwritten codes and laws they can adjust to.

They want to be accepted but not for what they are as a person, an individual, but for what THEY think other people would like them to be.
So they are trying very hard to not being themselves.

They haven’t really accepted themselves as a person, as an individual cause they are scared to be seen as different.

How can you obtain acceptance in a group if you haven’t really accepted yourself? There is a song about that. :)

And why should you even bother if you are able to accept yourself with all the positive and negative aspects of it?

I am not saying it is very easy but people who are able to do so won’t bother much about acceptance as they will be accepted nonetheless by other people or not but that won’t be an issue.

And that group identity they are striving for is a lie as well, so many times.

Cause in a group not the interests of the group is the most important but the interests of the leader.

And that leader always says it is in the best interest of the group. The lie many people are believing as it sounds nice.
The interests of the group sounds good, democratic, and what could be wrong about that, hmm? :rolleyes:

I already feel very sorry and have some compassion with the so-called “spoiled” generation who are living in wonderland but when they are suddenly woken up by a catastrophe and their lives become a nightmare, like reality is for so many I am afraid they won’t survive.

And they can’t be hold totally responsible entirely for their situation as I would wonder who spoiled them?

They want to be accepted but not for what they are as a person, an individual, but for what THEY think other people would like them to be.

They haven’t really accepted themselves as a person, as an individual cause they are scared to be seen as different.

How can you obtain acceptance in a group if you haven’t really accepted yourself? There is a song about that. :)

And why should you even bother if you are able to accept yourself with all the positive and negative aspects of it?

I am not saying it is very easy but people who are able to do so won’t bother much about acceptance as they will be accepted nonetheless by other people or not but that won’t be an issue.

Cause in a group not the interests of the group is the most important but the interests of the leader.

And that leader always says it is in the best interest of the group. The lie many people are believing as it sounds nice.
The interests of the group sounds good, democratic, and what could be wrong about that, hmm? :rolleyes:

I already feel very sorry and have some compassion with the so-called “spoiled” generation who are living in wonderland but when they are suddenly woken up by a catastrophe and their lives become a nightmare, like reality is for so many I am afraid they won’t survive.

And they can’t be hold totally responsible entirely for their situation as I would wonder who spoiled them?
The Nobel Prize medal will be in the mail next week, Gerrit. You broke it down better than I could.
Thanks!

Hey QQQ,
Very thoughtful post.
However I'm not so sure.
Have you ever met anyone who has told you, 'I've not accepted myself'? I doubt it.
No, it's others who say that and it is a way of making a value judgement on their life.
Unprepared for a catastrophe? Who is ever prepared?
I also feel sorry for the youth of today because not only are they discriminated against and insulted quite routinely but they also have to suffer mass unemployment and the major loon leadership of the forces darkness (that my generation has foisted upon them) that hold sway at the moment.

Hey QQQ,
Very thoughtful post.
However I'm not so sure.
Have you ever met anyone who has told you, 'I've not accepted myself'? I doubt it.
No, it's others who say that and it is a way of making a value judgement on their life.
I also feel sorry for the youth of today because not only are they discriminated against and insulted quite routinely but they also have to suffer mass unemployment and the major loon leadership of the forces darkness (that my generation has foisted upon them) that hold sway at the moment.
Your knowledge on life and people need some work and the young ones have all the answers only to grow up and realise they didn't.
Yes, unemployment or rather increased demands on young people and mass immigration changed the life for young people overnight as did terrorism. The majority embrace things like diversity and open borders which is their real enemy. Old communist teachers are prepared to sacrifice people like you at the altar of globalism.

How did this gig thread end up in such serious debate?
Am I to blame?
LOL

Hey QQQ,
Very thoughtful post.
However I'm not so sure.

“ Have you ever met anyone who has told you, 'I've not accepted myself'? I doubt it.”

Yes, I did. It was me and it took me some time to realise it. I feel much better now but the issue itself is very interesting in an artistic sense as well.

As when you realise it is a good subject for any one wanting to express themselves. You can’t if you’re not staring the issue in the face.
Look into the inner mirror.
But not too long.

But in fact you are hitting the nail on the head. In general NOBODY would EVER say that to someone else in the social circle he or she lives in.

That is the issue, for me.

Oh about the catastrophe nobody can prepare themselves for.
Look at the link Urbie posted.

On Twitter people are archiving their catastrophes like having a paper cut on their finger so the agony of having that pain when they keep posting and soldiering on.

So I wonder what would happen if a real catastrophe hit them. In stead of the drama queen nonsense that are posted in the link of the 27 problems of the middle class. It is funny but also utter nonsense.

Social media have become a necessary tool to confirm your identity, one people think they desperately need.

I am aware that to some extent this is also becoming true for me cause for what other reasons am I posting here?

It worries me that even I can’t escape that. Still figuring out how to do that.
At least I am searching for it.

“ Have you ever met anyone who has told you, 'I've not accepted myself'? I doubt it.”

Yes, I did. It was me and it took me some time to realise it. I feel much better now but the issue itself is very interesting in an artistic sense as well.

As when you realise it is a good subject for any one wanting to express themselves. You can’t if you’re not staring the issue in the face.
Look into the inner mirror.
But not too long.

But in fact you are hitting the nail on the head. In general NOBODY would EVER say that to someone else in the social circle he or she lives in.

That is the issue, for me.

Oh about the catastrophe nobody can prepare themselves for.
Look at the link Urbie posted.

On Twitter people are archiving their catastrophes like having a paper cut on their finger so the agony of having that pain when they keep posting and soldiering on.

So I wonder what would happen if a real catastrophe hit them. In stead of the drama queen nonsense that are posted in the link of the 27 problems of the middle class. It is funny but also utter nonsense.

Social media have become a necessary tool to confirm your identity, one people think they desperately need.

I am aware that to some extent this is also becoming true for me cause for what other reasons am I posting here?

It worries me that even I can’t escape that. Still figuring out how to do that.
At least I am searching for it.
Been asking myself that since day 1 in 1998.

How did this gig thread end up in such serious debate?
Am I to blame?
LOL
You could well be. But you're not the only nut in the hatch. I've been off-topic since the Dublin gig cos my brain is scrambled at the thought of waiting years for the next Moz gig, at least locally. Besides, reading these posts passes the time nicely as I half watch Top Of The Pops reruns from 1982. Did you know The Jam played TWO songs back to back on TOTP in '82? Precious and Town Called Malice. Not many bands can say that!

You could well be. But you're not the only nut in the hatch. I've been off-topic since the Dublin gig cos my brain is scrambled at the thought of waiting years for the next Moz gig, at least locally. Besides, reading these posts passes the time nicely as I half watch Top Of The Pops reruns from 1982. Did you know The Jam played TWO songs back to back on TOTP in '82? Precious and Town Called Malice. Not many bands can say that!
Had no idea and thanks for calling me a nut, the squirrels here are roasting theirs in this extreme cold. I had to break open the garage door before putting the engine heater chord in the car setting the timer at 19 hours.
I might well travel to Dublin this year so be sure the police tape has been put up in time for my arrival.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom