Cambridge gig - animal rights?

Voodoo Doll

I remember at the Oxford gig there was a lot of aggro with Moz saying to the vivisectors 'watch your backs - we are going to get you' or something along those lines and then a lot of people seemingly supporting this torture of animals who had gone in just to heckle etc. With the new primate lab recently opened in Cambridge do you think it will kick off again and does anybody know of any planned demos for that day? I would love to help out if there is! :D

Last edited:
I remember at the Oxford gig there was a lot of aggro with Moz saying to the vivisectors 'watch your backs - we are going to get you' or something along those lines and then a lot of people seemingly supporting this torture of animals who had gone in just to heckle etc. With the new primate lab recently opened in Cambridge do you think it will kick off again and does anybody know of any planned demos for that day? I would love to help out if there is! :D

He called Oxford "The shame of Britain".

Last edited:
I hate how Morrissey says all this stuff but never acts on it. I mean, he's too famous to be able to do anything now, but he wasn't exactly militant before he was famous...

I'm up for anything going down on that day, but we shouldn't talk about it on a public forum.

im game :cool:

I hate how Morrissey says all this stuff but never acts on it. I mean, he's too famous to be able to do anything now, but he wasn't exactly militant before he was famous...

Hmmm, I can understand why you feel that way, being an activist and all, but Morrissey really did do more than most to raise awareness of compassion and animal rights, at a time when it was not yet a social movement.

PETA only formed in 1980. Until then, I don't think anyone thought to organize, or protest militantly, or on a large scale. I'm younger than Moz, so I can't say what the awareness of animal rights was when he was a kid in England, but I can't recall any organization here in the States that actively encouraged civil disobedience, or direct action. There was the HSUS and the ASPCA, but they do everything politely, and by the book.

PS If anyone can rope in Chrissie Hynde I'll buy them a few pints. She doesnt mind getting her hands dirty!:D

The last time I saw her live, she dedicated a song "to all the animals murdered in abattoirs." It's a shame she and Morrissey never got together for a benefit or some such thing - there's still time...

Oxford was a drag, I hope things go better in Cambridge.

Me too :(
And his "love affair" with Mexico and his goings to Spain with all that bullfighting... And those are SPORTS for F#@!s sake. Yet he won't play in Canada... :confused:
I would support that decision if it made sense in the light of all the other things he does/does not

Hmmm, I can understand why you feel that way, being an activist and all, but Morrissey really did do more than most to raise awareness of compassion and animal rights, at a time when it was not yet a social movement.

PETA only formed in 1980. Until then, I don't think anyone thought to organize, or protest militantly, or on a large scale. I'm younger than Moz, so I can't say what the awareness of animal rights was when he was a kid in England, but I can't recall any organization here in the States that actively encouraged civil disobedience, or direct action. There was the HSUS and the ASPCA, but they do everything politely, and by the book.

I understand that Morrissey has probably single handedly converted more people to vegetarianism than anyone else with Meat Is Murder, and lots of animal rights people I know use that slogan who aren't Smiths fans.

However, I think that direct action has more of an impact than people becoming vegetarian. You can opt out of the meat industry, so you are not supporting it, but you are also not significantly damaging it in any way. Moz even said that he wished he'd been more militant...I can't remember his excuse.

Also, you use the example of Peta. They are not even remotely militant. They stopped their protest against HLS when they were threatened with legal action. Most animal rights activists I know hate them.

Also, you use the example of Peta. They are not even remotely militant. They stopped their protest against HLS when they were threatened with legal action. Most animal rights activists I know hate them.

Really? I understand they infiltrate people in places and get videos and act on them, and protest publicly in front of fur shops etc, taking lots of media with them. That's what I heard/saw. If it's so, I'd call that action. It's not taking-the-animals-out-of-the-labs action, but it's action.
Don't they do that anymore?

Really? I understand they infiltrate people in places and get videos and act on them, and protest publicly in front of fur shops etc, taking lots of media with them. That's what I heard/saw. If it's so, I'd call that action. It's not taking-the-animals-out-of-the-labs action, but it's action.
Don't they do that anymore?

They act in a kind of liberal way, but I wouldn't call it militant. They definately action which breaks the law, and the thing about them stopping the HLS demos because of legal threats is true. Then SHAC took over.

Back
Top Bottom