Craig Gannon Facebook post in reference to Morrissey's "Autobiography"?

An interesting detail from Autobiography. After the American tour, JM suggests not contacting Craig as an experiment to see if he will get in touch with anyone. According to Morrissey "Johnny's experiment sees Craig sealing his own fate as a Smith because Craig makes no effort to call either Johnny, Andy or Mike". Not, you will notice, because Craig makes no effort to call anyone. And, according to Craig, the Smith he had the best relationship with was Morrissey.

But Morrissey is never uncontactable? LOL! It was supposed to be a band, not a back-up for a droning diva. No wonder Marr pulled the plug.

But Morrissey is never uncontactable? LOL! It was supposed to be a band, not a back-up for a droning diva. No wonder Marr pulled the plug.

No wonder indeed. Just compare the immense success Johnny Marr's had...and the credit he's gained with "The Messenger" last year, doing what a musician does: writing good music and touring and saying insightful and thought-provoking things in interviews.

Compare it with that dullard of an unfunny version of Alan Partridge just bullying people into fleeing, saying a lot of things like an "all-ologist" without the slightest clue of what he's talking about, from legal issues to the royals, from ukip to animal welfare, from uk politics to us politics, from TV celebrities to graphic design.

There was one incredibly ignorant thing he wrote about Rome in the book. Now, Rome is a beautiful city. Of course it is. Unique, in fact. But I've had the luck of spending some time there and I have a relative who lives there and safe it ain't. It has some serious crime rates, and I mean violent violent crime. But rich Morrissey from the safety of his hotel suite and no doubt expensive chaffeured cars pontificated that Rome is super safe and has a low crime rate. What does he know????? That is the type of gobby dross that he pontificates about without knowing a thing.

Anyone seen the interesting new comment by Ivor Perry: "f*** me i get one line: "Geoff bought in another guitarist ...." Morrissey begged me to do this and i have the evidence...."

Regardless of the facts of how Craig's involvement or dismissal went down, the fact IS (very clearly evident if you were present for the last tour, and can view in videos online of it) that Craig contributed greatly to The Smiths live sound, as it freed Johnny to muck around however he wished. Often, Craig was playing the key guitar portions while Johnny did less. Please don't dismiss Craig as a "rhythm section" addition, as he was far from it. While I doubt Johnny felt truly threatened by Craig, he may have realized that his own discontent and his willingness to "lean on" Craig (I believe it was also stated somewhere that he was drinking wine heavily before shows during that period as well - or am I incorrect about that?), were all leading him nowhere fast and so he took positive action to right the ship. Just a theory.

Anyone seen the interesting new comment by Ivor Perry: "f*** me i get one line: "Geoff bought in another guitarist ...." Morrissey begged me to do this and i have the evidence...."

nothing new and interesting

When Marr left, Morrissey tried to go on with Rourke and Joyce and another guitar player,
it's well known that they tried a short time, and the guitarist was Ivor Perry, but the magic was gone

So no news for the most here, and to be on-topic, indeed no 2 lines worth in the autobiography

[waiting for Vini Reilly :) ]

'and they say he's mentall'... and I wonder why Morrissey trimmed it, or got along doing it...

No wonder indeed. Just compare the immense success Johnny Marr's had...and the credit he's gained with "The Messenger" last year, doing what a musician does: writing good music and touring and saying insightful and thought-provoking things in interviews.

Compare it with that dullard of an unfunny version of Alan Partridge just bullying people into fleeing, saying a lot of things like an "all-ologist" without the slightest clue of what he's talking about, from legal issues to the royals, from ukip to animal welfare, from uk politics to us politics, from TV celebrities to graphic design.

There was one incredibly ignorant thing he wrote about Rome in the book. Now, Rome is a beautiful city. Of course it is. Unique, in fact. But I've had the luck of spending some time there and I have a relative who lives there and safe it ain't. It has some serious crime rates, and I mean violent violent crime. But rich Morrissey from the safety of his hotel suite and no doubt expensive chaffeured cars pontificated that Rome is super safe and has a low crime rate. What does he know????? That is the type of gobby dross that he pontificates about without knowing a thing.

He thinks he's Pasolini, so the whole rough-trade, danger stuff turns him on, I guess. Marr at Digbeth Academy on St Paddy's Eve smashed it. Mods singing along to "London" without having to rolleyes at Moz being a pseudo uber-puff 30 years after that was moderately fun way to wind up footie fans.

Marr was not satisfied with Graig, why diss Morrissey?

Because Johnny is gracious about it, talks kindly about Craig and acknowledges his own misjudgements at the time. Morrissey is just spiteful and dishonest. What he wrote in his book about Craig isn't how things were. Why did Morrissey continue working with Craig for the rest of the 80s (even after he was being sued by him) if he was such a pointless dolt? Why does Morrissey present Craig as some idiot he vaguely knew for a few weeks in 1986 when that's obviously not how it was?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom