David Cameron on Morrissey

Uncleskinny said:
Just been on Desert Island Discs, and regarding This Charming Man, he had this to say:

"I don't really agree with lead singer Morrissey about anything, for instance he's a passionate vegetarian, and I'm a big meat eater, but when he appeared on Top of The Pops with flowers hanging out of the back of his trousers and an NHS hearing aid, it was an iconic moment for people of my generation."

Band-wagon jumping of the highest order, in my opinion. What an arse.

Peter

cringe

CRINGE

CRINGE

Show him a barrel and watch him scrape it.

God forbid someone should like The Smiths and/or Morrissey eh? Sorry this person doesn't fit in with your own political ideals, but he's free to enjoy the same music as us.

Christ.

Ben Budd said:
God forbid someone should like The Smiths and/or Morrissey eh? Sorry this person doesn't fit in with your own political ideals, but he's free to enjoy the same music as us.

Christ.

Oh, give over. Politics is such a central part of Morrissey's stuff, it's pretty hard to be a Morrissey fan whilst being the very embodiment of everything Morrissey hates and speaks out against. It's like Bush liking Billy Bragg. It's so bad you couldn't script it. Yeah, okay. Or maybe he likes the bouncy guitar melodies in the same sort-of way as my dear old grandma does.

There's also the fact that everything Cameron says and does is slimy and cynical. The laughable 'environment' bit. So we saw him in a cycle helmet and he dug away a bit at the hole in the ozone layer by flying to Antarctica to be photographed next to a glacier and suddenly he's the kindly face of the cuddly Tories? Excellent. I don't dislike Cameron because I am one of these mindless Tory-bashers who doesn't understand why she hates Tories. I hate him because he's a cretin and so are most of his party. Did you know that when he cycles to work, his chauffeur drives his Lexus - containing a change of shoes - in behind him?! Ohhhhhh ha ha HA. Cameron deserves every bit of bashing he gets. What an absolute wanker.

Cameron is a vile individual, one who makes Blair look likeable by comparison. He's Tony's more cynical, more slimey, more evil cousin. Anyone who's fooled by his act had better beware, for you'll be taking a well deserved kick to the teeth and a bath in barbedwire should he be elected. The choice we have in British politics today is tragic.

Frank's Wild Years said:
Cameron is a vile individual, one who makes Blair look likeable by comparison. He's Tony's more cynical, more slimey, more evil cousin. Anyone who's fooled by his act had better beware, for you'll be taking a well deserved kick to the teeth and a bath in barbedwire should he be elected. The choice we have in British politics today is tragic.

It wouldn't be so bad if Labour would get rid of Blair and Prescott, let Gordon brown take over and became more left-wing.

Chances of that happening?

:mad:

I do think Brown would be infinitely preferable, actually....the only problem is Blair's stubborn refusal to hand over the reigns. It wouldn't surprise me if Gordon Brown ends up being shoved aside as part of a mini 'New Labour' coup, with a hardcore Blairite ascending to Downing Street in his place.

lilybett said:
Did you know that when he cycles to work, his chauffeur drives his Lexus - containing a change of shoes - in behind him?! Ohhhhhh ha ha HA. Cameron deserves every bit of bashing he gets. What an absolute wanker.

Did you know that Morrissey lives in a f***ing HOTEL in Italy so he can have people wait on him hand and foot while he writes songs about being "working class"??

Benton said:
I think "Everyone Lies" could be quite specific to the 1992 election when the exit polls said Labour were going to win and it was concluded afterwards that people were voting Tory but were too embarrassed to admit it.

So if the exit polls are inaccurate it means people were "embarassed" to tell exit pollsters in the same anonymity and secrecy as the voting booth where they voted Tory? Or could it instead be that opinion polling is not all it's cracked up to be? I've long noticed that polling is often a tool of manipulation and propaganda.

I find it hard to believe that Morrissey sings "everyone lies, nobody minds" in reference to exit polls. It's perfectly obvious that the song is from the perspective of someone who's drunk, frustrated at the entire government, and railing against everything and everyone. He asks, "Where is the man you respect?" He didn't say, "I respect Neil Kinnock but all these tricksters said they'd vote for him did otherwise and lied to the exit pollsters about it!" He said the man he respects is nowhere in sight! It's a dismissal of all politicians.

"We won't vote conservative because we never have" -- is it a compliment to say you vote for a party simply because you always have? The song says the person is drinking, declares that EVERYone lies, NOBODY minds. "We won't vote conservative because we never have" is meant to say that, sure, people vote Labour but don't be mistaken, it's not because Labour is running anyone they respect, it's out of traditions and loyalties. There's not a Labour candidate we're in love with.

Also, in the end the song is actually rather conservative (with a lower-case "c"). "We look to Los Angeles for the language we use, London is dead" - that's an attack against the modern world, wishing a nationalistic, protectionistic government would come along and prevent London from being changed by globalism, and would turn back the clock and bring back the London Morrissey was in love with. Remember that at this time Morrissey considered English culture "superior" to all cultures in the world, and considered England to be "the world" as far as he was concerned. To see it changing was upsetting. He wanted leaders who would keep out the immigrants, the cultural influences, etc. He was very wrong-headed in this, but it's a common feeling people have when confronted by change, and as such it makes for an interesting song reflecting the fears people have of a changing world.

Last edited:
Theo said:
So if the exit polls are inaccurate it means people were "embarassed" to tell exit pollsters in the same anonymity and secrecy as the voting booth where they voted Tory? Or could it instead be that opinion polling is not all it's cracked up to be? I've long noticed that polling is often a tool of manipulation and propaganda.

I find it hard to believe that Morrissey sings "everyone lies, nobody minds" in reference to exit polls. It's perfectly obvious that the song is from the perspective of someone who's drunk, frustrated at the entire government, and railing against everything and everyone. He asks, "Where is the man you respect?" He didn't say, "I respect Neil Kinnock but all these tricksters said they'd vote for him did otherwise and lied to the exit pollsters about it!" He said the man he respects is nowhere in sight! It's a dismissal of all politicians.

"We won't vote conservative because we never have" -- is it a compliment to say you vote for a party simply because you always have? The song says the person is drinking, declares that EVERYone lies, NOBODY minds. "We won't vote conservative because we never have" is meant to say that, sure, people vote Labour but don't be mistaken, it's not because Labour is running anyone they respect, it's out of traditions and loyalties. There's not a Labour candidate we're in love with.

Also, in the end the song is actually rather conservative (with a lower-case "c"). "We look to Los Angeles for the language we use, London is dead" - that's an attack against the modern world, wishing a nationalistic, protectionistic government would come along and prevent London from being changed by globalism, and would turn back the clock and bring back the London Morrissey was in love with. Remember that at this time Morrissey considered English culture "superior" to all cultures in the world, and considered England to be "the world" as far as he was concerned. To see it changing was upsetting. He wanted leaders who would keep out the immigrants, the cultural influences, etc. He was very wrong-headed in this, but it's a common feeling people have when confronted by change, and as such it makes for an interesting song reflecting the fears people have of a changing world.

your posts make me want to throw up.

Theo said:
Did you know that Morrissey lives in a f***ing HOTEL in Italy so he can have people wait on him hand and foot while he writes songs about being "working class"??

Did you know Morrissey isn't the opposition's next PM-candidate?!

Although I'd probably vote for him if he was ;)

Theo said:
How are you people taking this lyric? I take it as saying we just vote Labour because we always have - out of mindless, automatic tradition and loyalty (you know, the way 90% of African-Americans tend to vote as a block for the Democratic Party in the USA, or the way UncleSkinny despises Cameron simply because he's a Tory and he's "supposed to") - but where is the man I respect? What good is it doing? All the politicans are liars. f*** them all.

I could be wrong, but I take it as either dismissing politicians in general as people to be despised whatever their party label (as in "Irish Blood"), or as a comment on how people don't think for themselves and allow one party to own their vote and take them for granted.

oh why oh why do you hate him so..
you seem to have dedicated your life to one single mission: slandering morrissey and abusing his fans.

Back
Top Bottom