Depeche Mode return to studio; Gahan wants to stop old suicide rumours

The Seeker of Good Songs

http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=30387_0_2_0_C

According to www.depeche-mode.com , Depeche Mode will again work with Ben Hillier as producer on their forthcoming album. Hillier, who has worked with the likes of U2, Smashing Pumpkins and many more was also responsible for the production on the most recent studio output of Depeche Mode, "Playing The Angel". The website also names other involvements such as Sie Medway Smith, who worked as a programmer on Martin Gore’s demos, Christian Eigner, Andrew Phillpott and Kurt Uenala who worked with Dave Gahan on his solo compositions. The new Depeche Mode album should be ready by the end of this year with a scheduled Spring 2009 release. The band had a meeting in Santa Barbara (USA) just before Easter during which they made a rough time line and listened to demos. The first recording sessions are expected to kick off in early May.

In related news, and perhaps not as 'innocent' as it looks at first sight, Billboard announced that Depeche Mode's manager Baron Kessler has joined up with Coldplay manager Dave Holmes to form Good Boy Productions. The first project of Good Boy Productions will be a Canadian festival called Pemberton Festival. Is this the prelude to a more management based approach of releasing the material of both bands?

In the meantime Dave Gahan is again trying to stop the old rumour that his heroin and cocaine drug overdose in 1996 was a suicide attempt. Gahan was pronounced clinically dead after combining the drugs - known as a speedball - in a Los Angeles hotel room. He was revived by paramedics and survived. Gahan, 45, tells Hustler magazine that is was no suicide attempt: "I'm painfully aware that was not what I was trying to do. All I was trying to do was disappear for a while, and that became a lost weekend. (...) What I thought I wanted to do in my life was escape constantly from whatever it was that was going on. That is not the case anymore. I'm here and I really enjoy the challenge of life." It makes us wonder why journalists keep on asking Gahan about his overdose though.

Did they mention someting about suicide on DM's Behind the Music? I havent seen it since it aired but I think i remember Richard Blade talking about it not sure if suicide was mentioned however. I do remember Dave saying the overdose was cry for help...I hate talking about this :(

Did they mention someting about suicide on DM's Behind the Music? I havent seen it since it aired but I think i remember Richard Blade talking about it not sure if suicide was mentioned however. I do remember Dave saying the overdose was cry for help...I hate talking about this :(

yeah they discussed it briefly. it's up on youtube.

Ya, I wish the press would stop talking about it too! But he is clean now and I hope for the rest of his life! I hope they will have a US tour! :guitar:

Back
Top Bottom