Morrissey Central "Discredited." (June 25, 2023)

Many, many more artists happen to be less successful than our Mozzer, and that’s fine too.

Your point being?
My point is, don’t slag off more successful artists thinking that that would bring you closer to Moz or make you a bigger fan. It’s sick and ridiculous.

My point is, don’t slag off more successful artists thinking that that would bring you closer to Moz or make you a bigger fan. It’s sick and ridiculous.
Wtf are you on about? Nobody slags off any other artist, more successful or not.

Personally I prefer Morrissey’s discography to Rick Astley’s, that’s hardly slagging off.

I really enjoy Rick playing The Smiths-songs, as does Morrissey by the way.

It will all be forgotten sooner or later.
I suspect that Morrissey's tarnished reputation will only be rehabilitated after his death, in the UK at least. Once that happens, a huge mass of people who have spent the last decade attacking him will be posting tearful tributes on Twitter and in the press, Billy Bragg included. The controversial alt-right years will be forgotten, and he will receive his due as a great artist. Posthumously.

Rick is having a laugh about his past. He can get over his manufactured 80s career and especially SAW. He plays what he likes. The Smiths, ACDC and his mediocre 80s hits. An artist, who is completely at peace with himself.
And most important: people like him for that. Everybody is having a good time. No reason for envy and disapproval.

Rick is having a laugh about his past. He can get over his manufactured 80s career and especially SAW. He plays what he likes. The Smiths, ACDC and his mediocre 80s hits. An artist, who is completely at peace with himself.
And most important: people like him for that. Everybody is having a good time. No reason for envy and disapproval.
Exactly! We all love Rick, he’s a great guy.
And a Morrissey cover star, in more ways than one ;)

Last edited:
Although I agree regarding modern Rick:
He, SAW and their music ruining the "indie" chart whilst being the antithesis of The Smiths at the time is difficult for my younger self to let go of.
Regards,
FWD.

(If someone had come up to me in the queue in Wolverhampton in '88 and said: Astley will be singing Morrissey in 2022/2023 - I'd have self-combusted).

I suspect that Morrissey's tarnished reputation will only be rehabilitated after his death, in the UK at least. Once that happens, a huge mass of people who have spent the last decade attacking him will be posting tearful tributes on Twitter and in the press, Billy Bragg included. The controversial alt-right years will be forgotten, and he will receive his due as a great artist. Posthumously.
There may be some truth in that. Although when Robbie Coltrane died - there were some horrible posts on Twitter about dancing on his grave. So I'm sure we can expect some lovely messages of that nature too. The woke are a rather unforgiving lot. #LoveWins

In the midweek album chart, "The Sound of the Smiths" is a re-entry at #81, suggesting a Glasto boost from Rick and the Blossoms' performance. (See also big rises for Foo Fights, GnR, Lewis Capaldi, Elton, etc.)

No, it’s not “good for him”! It’s extremely bad for him. He can’t get a record deal, the public opinion of him is at an all time low and each time he speaks his mind the hole he’s been digging for himself gets deeper and deeper. And yes-men and women like you, who goad him on with gusto every time he opens his mouth and tell him that everything he does is great, are complicit in effectively killing off his career. f***ing stop.

my only complaint, if it be called one, is that he complains about the position he knowingly put himself in. Bless him that he refuses to play nice with the world, but then turns ‘round and wonders who put up all these obstacles in front of him. I mean, if you’re gonna be the rebel, then go all the way, stick to your guns, march forward and don’t make Central posts like this one.

Last edited:
If someone had come up to me in the queue in Wolverhampton in '88 and said: Astley will be singing Morrissey in 2022/2023 - I'd have self-combusted.
Thankfully, no-one did.
Self combustion seems a bit extreme. Maybe ask them for the pools numbers, or the winner of the Grand National.

In the midweek album chart, "The Sound of the Smiths" is a re-entry at #81, suggesting a Glasto boost from Rick and the Blossoms' performance. (See also big rises for Foo Fights, GnR, Lewis Capaldi, Elton, etc.)

A little boost in sale, to help keep M in those luxury hotels. Very nice. Inadvertently, it works out. Thumbs nose at The Guardian.

Just below Lloyd Cole’s latest album, good times :)

Wtf are you on about? Nobody slags off any other artist, more successful or not.

Personally I prefer Morrissey’s discography to Rick Astley’s, that’s hardly slagging off.

I really enjoy Rick playing The Smiths-songs, as does Morrissey by the way.
You quoted me in the first place. What I said wasn’t directed at you specifically. My point still stands. There is a lot of slagging off other artists, believing it’ll get you closer to Moz. Be it Johnny Marr or Rick Astley.

my only complaint, if it be called one, is that he complains about the position he knowingly put himself in. Bless him that he refuses to play nice with world, but then turns ‘round and wonders who put up all these obstacles in front of him. I mean, if you’re gonna be the rebel, then go all the way, stick to your guns, march forward and don’t make Central posts like this one.
Amen to this.

Talking about 'discredited' - that has got to be Glastonbury. What a snoozefest. The Arctic Monkeys could have cured insomnia. Guns N' Roses were painful. And Elton John was, well, Elton John.
The festival has a problem if the highlight of the weekend was a Stock, Aitken and Waterman throwback from the 1980s doing Smiths karaoke.

Talking about 'discredited' - that has got to be Glastonbury. What a snoozefest. The Arctic Monkeys could have cured insomnia. Guns N' Roses were painful. And Elton John was, well, Elton John.
The festival has a problem if the highlight of the weekend was a Stock, Aitken and Waterman throwback from the 1980s doing Smiths karaoke.
Cat Stevens was incredible, though. Only 34 years after he was pretty much cancelled for calling for Salman Rushdie's death.

Given that redemption timeline, we can expect Moz to sing a sweet "Legends" set in 2057, when he's 98.

Whatever, the very fact that BBC decided to broadcast a karaoke concert of a ex teenie pop singer, constantly reading the lyrics of Morrissey on a tv prompter, says quite a lot about the state of music and this business !

I liked your post but I have to say, I don't see anything wrong at all with what Astley is doing and I don't think he has shown any kind of disrespect?
Well, when he first did it, Marr was pissed, but Moz was okay with it. This time, though, I think Morrissey is feeling somewhat disrespected. Giving the circumstances that others have pointed out here, or whatever the case may be, that doesn’t mean it can’t hurt. So, no I don’t feel that I’m being too harsh on Rick Ghastly. Especially since Rick said he “didn’t really care” what they thought.

Well, when he first did it, Marr was pissed, but Moz was okay with it. This time, though, I think Morrissey is feeling somewhat disrespected. Giving the circumstances that others have pointed out here, or whatever the case may be, that doesn’t mean it can’t hurt. So, no I don’t feel that I’m being too harsh on Rick Ghastly. Especially since Rick said he “didn’t really care” what they thought.

I think Marr was more bothered by Blossoms not saying anything as they had been working in the same area as him leading up to it, i don't think he minded Rick Astley as such.

so Marr thought it was ‘horrific’ that Blossoms
didn’t tell him about it before hand. Ok.

lol, i'm not saying if he's a fan of their act or not, just that the thing that upset him was the blossoms not letting him know. I think it was an overreaction for either reason but i kinda get it on a personal level.

Not long after, former Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr gave his verdict on the stunt – describing their collaboration as “funny and horrible at the same time,” before adding that Blossoms failed to tell him about their gigs upon meeting but that he “had no problem” with covers bands or Astley.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom