Does Coldplay blow or what?

W

Weiß

Just watched them on the Video Music Awards. Don't get me wrong; I think it's great that a band like that is actually getting & stealing some props from the Good Charlotte/Fitty Cent/John Mayer crowd. But they're compared (favorably) to The Smiths? As if! Yes, yes I know Chris Martin Jizzes over Morrissey. Who doesn't? But to me they sound more like America than The Smiths. I wouldn't walk across the street to hear them.

I've seen them in concert and they were quite good, but this performance just blew. The Scientist is probably my favorite song off their second album, and this performance was just ass.

Chris Martin is such a yuppie. When i found out what 'Make Trade Fair' was for i laughed and laughed and laughed... what a goon.

And why didn't Duran Duran perform, damnit?

Word, that.

The entire award presentation to Duran Duran was painful to watch. They've got more talent in their sequins than anyone on stage tonight. And who the f*ck is Kelly Osbourne? Like I give a fat rat's ass what Edgar Winter or Cliff Richard's teenage brat thinks about anything! She's obnoxious, has no talent, and is one ugly sombitch to boot.

Ahh, why do I do it? Why torture myself by watching a show made for 14 year olds?

They are about as interesting as a fart from me arse!

> Just watched them on the Video Music Awards. Don't get me wrong; I think
> it's great that a band like that is actually getting & stealing some
> props from the Good Charlotte/Fitty Cent/John Mayer crowd. But they're
> compared (favorably) to The Smiths? As if! Yes, yes I know Chris Martin
> Jizzes over Morrissey. Who doesn't? But to me they sound more like America
> than The Smiths. I wouldn't walk across the street to hear them.

I used to think Coldplay were shit, but I saw them live and they were excellent. Obviously, they will never be the Smiths. Never.

> Just watched them on the Video Music Awards. Don't get me wrong; I think
> it's great that a band like that is actually getting & stealing some
> props from the Good Charlotte/Fitty Cent/John Mayer crowd. But they're
> compared (favorably) to The Smiths? As if! Yes, yes I know Chris Martin
> Jizzes over Morrissey. Who doesn't? But to me they sound more like America
> than The Smiths. I wouldn't walk across the street to hear them.

The only way a British band will be successful in the USA is if they are totally shite.
Bush anyone ?

> The only way a British band will be successful in the USA is if they are
> totally shite.
> Bush anyone ?
Not always.
Beatles?

> The only way a British band will be successful in the USA is if they are
> totally shite.
> Bush anyone ?

Robbie Williams tried that, fair play to the Yanks for rejecting him totally.

> Not always.
> Beatles?

The Beatles were part of a whole British invasion and actually "broke" America with their worst ever material "She Loves You" and " I Want To Hold Your Hand".

their an average band in a shit time for music, so they get hailed as great.

A Question for North Americans

In this context, does “to blow” mean pretty much the same as “to suck”? Am I the only one to find this confusing? Are these sexual references or is there another origin?

On Coldplay: Who compared them favourably to The Smiths? that’s just silly. We don’t get too much of that over here any more, at least from those who want to retain some credibility (revisionist times).

I think they’re a decent band and I’d agree that “The Scientist” is a cracking song.

Depends on audience.

The key is inference. You could say: "I just got poor marks on a test. That blew." to your mother or your minister, and it should be assumed that the expression, while somewhat crude, is short for making you sick (to "blow chunks" or to "blow chow", with "chunks" meaning anything nasty in your stomach and "chow" being slang for food).

However, to me at least, "to blow" always, always means to suck a d*ck. So the onus is on the listener to not be offended, even though it without question an offensive thing to say. You can say it and wash your hands of it, and it is their problem if they are offended.

And yes, it means the same as "to suck". I never understood why they could be used interchangeably, either.

Re: Depends on audience.

> The key is inference. You could say: "I just got poor marks on a
> test. That blew." to your mother or your minister, and it should be
> assumed that the expression, while somewhat crude, is short for making you
> sick (to "blow chunks" or to "blow chow", with
> "chunks" meaning anything nasty in your stomach and
> "chow" being slang for food).

> However, to me at least, "to blow" always, always means to suck
> a d*ck. So the onus is on the listener to not be offended, even though it
> without question an offensive thing to say. You can say it and wash your
> hands of it, and it is their problem if they are offended.

> And yes, it means the same as "to suck". I never understood why
> they could be used interchangeably, either.

Thanks – I think “sucks” is fairly common over here, certainly since Beavis and Butthead (am I the only one who feels rather peculiarly nostalgic about these two?)

I haven’t heard “to blow” very much, but I suspect I don’t move in the most cutting edge of circles.

I like a few of their songs, if only because they are such a change from the likes of those unspeakably bad artists (and I use the term VERY loosely) you mentioned. However, all of their songs sound more or less the same. And if people call The Smiths wussy, whiny music, what the f*** is Coldplay? It's infinitely more femme, bordering on maudlin. Nothing wrong with wimp rock, I suppose, but I'd put them in the same category as, say, Ben Folds Five or something, but not The Smiths or Morrissey. Not ever.

Plus the lead singer has horrible taste in women. I mean, I have better taste in chicks and I'm straight.

I'm so glad there are some other Morrissey fans out there who love Duran Duran too!

Saw 'em the last night of the Wedding Album tour in 1994. Absolutely awesome.

James opened for them, but it was in the middle of a snow storm. Heard the last note of James' last song as we walked into the auditorium. Duran Duran was so good they made up for it

Damn near same thing happened with the Mighty Lemon Drops and Love & Rockets. But Love & Rockets f*ckign rocked.

I so love Simon LeBon, although Taylor is no slouch either. Glad you had a fun time!

Gwyneth

> Plus the lead singer has horrible taste in women. I mean, I have better
> taste in chicks and I'm straight.

A couple of years ago there was a story over here about how Gwyneth (who was doing a West End play for a few months) had complained that British men were a lot less formal than in their approach than Americans and she hadn't been properly asked out on a date once in her time here.

I remember seeing a letter in a newspaper from someone who said that he had considered asking her out, but couldn't face listening to her acceptance speech.

Re: Gwyneth

Pretty funny stuff. Didn't Chris Martin say he was a virgin until his early to mid twenties? Bizarre. I'm sure that's why Gwyneth hasn't tired of him yet. She usually complains that guys can't keep up with her sexually. Well, hell, Chris is probably making up for lost time. However, I do take their relationship as further evidence of Chris's latent homosexuality. After all, Gwyneth does have the body of an eleven year old boy.

Memo to Gwyneth: There's a reason Madonna quit macrobiotics. Not only was she sick of your skinny ass copying her, but it makes you look gross. Eat something other than raw organic carrots and grow some tits, dammit.

Back
Top Bottom