Does Morrissey eat cheese?

bump for
ph300lg.jpg

my fave cheese

the best cream cheese in the world - and it's comlpetely vegan:
unfortunatley very expensive in my country.
417943b.jpg

He's had cars which have leather seats, a completely unnecessary luxury for which animals were killed.

So excuse me if I don't worry whether Morrissey minds that I'm eating some Jarlsberg cheese and crackers right now.

Remember recently when Morrissey's sports car was for sale? Leather seats for which several cows died.

HYPOCRITE.

if we want to pick on hypocrits then morrissey is the last one we should chose. he's done so much for animals in over 20 years!
naomi campbell and kim basinger - those are your hypocrits - posing naked for peta against fur and running around in full fur coats a year later. sickening.

There are different types of vegetarianism, which have their own individual ideologies and preferences, I feel it’s very ignorant to categorise all vegetarians in one category. For instance I am an ovo-vegetarian; I eat the occasional egg from local farms who do not keep Chickens in battery conditions. I do not eat or drink any diary produce. A lacto-ovo vegetarian is what Morrissey is, someone who doesn’t consume meat, but consumes diary products and eggs. There are also vegetarians known as Lacto-Vegetarians who do not eat meat or eggs, but eat diary produce and there is of course the Vegans.

Vegetarians aren’t always vegetarians for the same reasons, people who do not have a detailed understanding of the cultural lifestyle will often automatically assume people become vegetarians because they despise the meat industry and this is simply not the case at all. You’ll find a lot of people do not eat meat, because of religious purposes, some opt for a healthier lifestyle and believe excluding meat from their diet will help them achieve this healthier lifestyle, whilst others simply dislike meat, the texture, the taste and the appearance and of course there are people who are against the conditions these animals are kept in and are against the meat industry and the fashion industry and believe humans should live in harmony with animals, of course there are vegetarians who will share all of these opinions or some of them, it of course depends on the persons beliefs and preferences.

It’s hard for fundamental vegetarian and animal rights groups (fundamental being used loosely) as well as vegetarians against the unethical treatment of animals not be called a hypocrite. This is not of course their fault it’s down to the lack of resources and productivity available to vegetarianism/animal rights activism. For example, a vegetarian cannot walk into a shoe shop and pick non leather shoes off the shelf, try them on and buy them, a vegetarian cannot walk into a clothes shop and choose a wide range of clothing which doesn’t come from animals (although I own no clothing which has come from animal fur), it’s hard to find a wide range of Soya foods, vegetarians are very much limited in the products available to them and this is an issue which needs to be addressed and it can only be addressed if more people become vegetarian and become more environment friendly, self sufficient in many ways. The capitalist society we live in is fundamentally to blame for this, simply because a large proportion of the world’s population wear leather, eat meat, therefore there is a lack of consumers for companies to make mass profits from making alternative produce aimed at the vegetarian/ environmentalist section of society.

It’s also worth mentioning the leather has been worn for thousands of years, meat has been consumed for thousands of years, vegetarianism and environmentalism, ecologism and Green politics is relative new and only became a publicised issue in the 1960’s.

This is not to say it won’t change, the worlds resources are facing mass depletion and soon enough there will be opportunities for the bourgeois turn to vegetarian alternatives and the market will rapidly grow from this and vegetarians will be able to go to their local shops and pick vegetarian cheese from the shelf like normal cheese, shoes made from artificial material will become as common and as easy to find as leather shoes, it will take time, but the time is dawning upon us.

But your stance is absurd. You eat meat but you say that if you were a vegetarian, you would feel guilty about eating cheese?! So you don't feel guilty as it is, but you would if you were a vegetarian? :confused: :confused:

No...not really....I already feel guilty abotu eating meat - so it goes without saying that I feel equally guilty about eating dairy products.

Obviously since I am not a vegetarian, I don't feel as guilty about eating cheese as I would if I was indeed a vegetarian. I think being a veggie would make it harder for me to eat cheese as it's a huge (part) commitment.

But, remember, I do admire vegetarians and I wish I had the strength to be one. The whole vegan issue complicates things in my mind too much though as, as many posters have pointed out, the production of dairy goods can harm and indeed kill animals too... right or wrong, most vegetarians would feel a tinge of guilt if they ate dairy produce. I feel guilty and I'm not even a veggie!

Thanks for the interesting debate though.

TT

It’s not necessarily the process of milking which harms the cow although there have been suggestions made that constant milking of a cow causes lameness and stress to cow (especially if the cow is pregnant), it’s farmers who keep their animals in cramped conditions (it is now against EU regulations to keep animals in cramped conditions) which cause the most pain and suffering to the cow. Another problem I object to is how a calf is immediate taken away from it’s mother thus denying it and the mother cow to develop a mother and child like bond, this is possibly the cruellest thing farmers force their cows to endure, the calf is denied the opportunity to feed off the cows teat, this is truly disgusting and I can’t believe people can feel no compassion for the mental torture a cow has to do go through.

Vegetarians I’m sure would happily substitute diary products for alternatives, but a lot of people simply cannot afford to be buying mass alternative products day in day out, they aren’t cheap by any means, there isn’t a wide range of produce available on the food market either and this is because there is little competition in the market. People who become vegetarians can’t always stop drinking milk, eating butter, cheese and other forms of diary produce and they shouldn’t be expected to either, some people can do it, I’m sure I could become a vegan without a problem because I do not eat butter, cheese and other diary produce and I do not drink milk, I eat the occasional egg. For someone people giving up meat was hard enough, but they do not have the mental ability or the will power to become full blown vegans, they shouldn’t be slated for it and they certainly shouldn’t be guilty for eating diary produce, if most people stopped eating meat and the meat industry collapsed, you wouldn’t have the suffering, because farms would go out of business and companies would invest in the vegetarian alternatives, the market would be cheaper and I would be very happy indeed.

You say you feel guilty about eating meat then refrain from consuming it. It’s not hard if you really want to make that transition, there are companies such as Quorn and Linda McCartney to help you along the way. You can’t be too committed if you feel guilty and seem to be doing little about your guilt.

I am vegan. I went veg at 12 and then started to eat meat at 24 on and off... i felt stronger, more grounded... and to be honest, I had lost the passion and simple acceptance of the gut knowing i had at 12.

When I saw meet your meat i quit completely once again and now i am meat free as i have been for the majority of my life (i am 30 now)

I am vegan because I totally must be... its not a choice really...
and no, this is not where the finger pointing comes in... oh no. In fact, at 28 over the period of about 6 months or so... I noticed that I had a bit of acne or bumps on my face...it had been so on and off but only sometimes - like it is for many people (i had no idea that dairy was the cause for me) but then they started to get big and painful... very painful and very big, red, basically blisters. Dairy always made me feel heavy and slow and i had a gut feeling that was causing my skin problem.
i quit dairy - the blisters went away completely and immediately. a few weeks later i figred i might put a drop of milk in my coffee as i was out of soy milk (silk unsweetened) and with just a tiny little drop POOF - a big red painful blister on my face!!!! now even a bit of milk or cheese sets it off. its like it got worse and worse and just became completly off limits all within a month or so. crazy.

so i am not telling you you are weak if you are not vegan, but i feel great. i had a problem coming off meat because then my muscle tends to go and fat takes its place http :(

so i have researched the whole vegan thing bigtime... i found this - it is also available on amazon... it will fix that fatigue issue for sure
http://www.ultimatelife.com/PageAboutSite.htm

i even saw a guy on youtube talking about it - a muscleboy - which i am not by any means... but its good for me too... and if you want to go try and look like him - go for it.
hope this helps anybody thinking to become vegan... its a great tool.

and one good thing about the restaurant thing... there is always salad and ussually pasta or some kind of noodle and veg dish... if you think its hard for you - i am also allergic to wheat.... so that means no noodles either huh?
rice noodles. good thing i live in ny... there are specialty restaurants everywhere - but i lived in sommerset, asia, france (very difficult in france...) so i know tis not the easiest thing when you live there. location is, in this case - rather key.

about veg... well... i am grateful for moz BASHING me over the head with that video... i just feel like i can hold my head up - when i look in the mirror this way.

phew.
gosh.
i dont ussually... ah well... thanks for listening.

After reading this thread as a meat eater, i am so glad that the world has people in it like you guys that care so much about animals, i do eat meat and i cant see me changing to be honest but i think its a very admirable thing to be looking after the world the way vegans and veggies do. Im probably what you would call a hypocrit as i hate animals being harmed yet i still enjoy a steak ( yeah kinda wierd). Anyways props to all of you :)

After reading this thread as a meat eater, i am so glad that the world has people in it like you guys that care so much about animals, i do eat meat and i cant see me changing to be honest but i think its a very admirable thing to be looking after the world the way vegans and veggies do. Im probably what you would call a hypocrit as i hate animals being harmed yet i still enjoy a steak ( yeah kinda wierd). Anyways props to all of you :)

well, you're one of the few meaters who have nice words to say to us - thanks! yes, it isn't easy to give up those things we like. it took many years for me too - but eventually I stumbled across just the website with just THE sad and depressing slaughterhouse images that cut my apetite forever.(pictures of terrified cute little calves with big eyes standing in puddles of blood waiting for their death - ah how I cried and cried for days...) from one day to the next the salami that I thought was so delicious I could never give it up would have made me throw up in disgust.
maybe one day you will also see some pictures that will cut your apetite forever. once that happens it's extremely easy to become vegetarian.

I read somewhere that he used to wear leather, but now he's only wearing "expensive fake leather shoes"

Expensive, because he sticks to haute couture items and exclusive labels? Or expensive because they are not made of leather? I'd say the former.

I don't wear leather shoes, belts, etc, and the fabric runs smooth on my leather free seats. These items all seem far cheaper than their leather equivalents.

When I explained to my parents that I was becoming a vegetarian, they had no problem accepting it. When I told them I didn't want leather shoes, I got this incredulous look with my father stating, "But they're already dead?"

Last edited:
well, you're one of the few meaters who have nice words to say to us - thanks! yes, it isn't easy to give up those things we like. it took many years for me too - but eventually I stumbled across just the website with just THE sad and depressing slaughterhouse images that cut my apetite forever.(pictures of terrified cute little calves with big eyes standing in puddles of blood waiting for their death - ah how I cried and cried for days...) from one day to the next the salami that I thought was so delicious I could never give it up would have made me throw up in disgust.
maybe one day you will also see some pictures that will cut your apetite forever. once that happens it's extremely easy to become vegetarian.

ya mean like this?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-706531419532765159&q=meat+is+murder&hl=en

yeah ive seen that vid before, i feel terrible about it to be honest, i was talking to my friend and i think they should give animals for slaughter an injection like dogs in the vet get to kill them. its not perfect but it would be better than the alternatives

thanks, atleast you support us which is more than i can say about most people i know.

ive seen videos of whole live cows being thrown into a grounder to make beef, and they grind up every bit of it together and then it goes through a "screening" where they pick out all remaining chunks, like bones i guess, that are left. if you eat meat, stay away from beef, its a dirty business, imagine whats left in there. there are safer, cleaner, cruelty free alternatives to killing these animals, but i guess theyre not quick and cheap enough

"Cheese is a kind of meat
A yellow tasty beef
I milk it from my teat
But I try to be discreet"

^ From The Mighty Boosh :cool:
This thread has a funny title :D

and to answer the question, i can't say I know

"Cheese is a kind of meat
A yellow tasty beef
I milk it from my teat
But I try to be discreet"

^ From The Mighty Boosh :cool:
This thread has a funny title :D

and to answer the question, i can't say I know

put in the boosh thread..if you haven't already...

yes morrissey eats cheese, he sits in the corner of the room and nibbles it in his hands like a little mouse, and twitches his nose every so often to see if that nasty tom cat mike joyce is wandering around!

tmyem...i find it disgusting you're not taking this thread seriously :p
I'll put the boosh anywhere...

I'm pretty sure Morrissey is currently a vegan.

I'm trying to become a vegan, and I'm already a vegetarian. Not because of Morrissey though, I have a lot of reasons. He's just a bit of an influence and got me interested in such things.

Part of the guilt of choosing to buy milk products is that it contributes indirectly to calves being relegated to being strapped down their entire lives to become 'veal'.
It’s not necessarily the process of milking which harms the cow although there have been suggestions made that constant milking of a cow causes lameness and stress to cow (especially if the cow is pregnant), it’s farmers who keep their animals in cramped conditions (it is now against EU regulations to keep animals in cramped conditions) which cause the most pain and suffering to the cow. Another problem I object to is how a calf is immediate taken away from it’s mother thus denying it and the mother cow to develop a mother and child like bond, this is possibly the cruellest thing farmers force their cows to endure, the calf is denied the opportunity to feed off the cows teat, this is truly disgusting and I can’t believe people can feel no compassion for the mental torture a cow has to do go through.

Vegetarians I’m sure would happily substitute diary products for alternatives, but a lot of people simply cannot afford to be buying mass alternative products day in day out, they aren’t cheap by any means, there isn’t a wide range of produce available on the food market either and this is because there is little competition in the market. People who become vegetarians can’t always stop drinking milk, eating butter, cheese and other forms of diary produce and they shouldn’t be expected to either, some people can do it, I’m sure I could become a vegan without a problem because I do not eat butter, cheese and other diary produce and I do not drink milk, I eat the occasional egg. For someone people giving up meat was hard enough, but they do not have the mental ability or the will power to become full blown vegans, they shouldn’t be slated for it and they certainly shouldn’t be guilty for eating diary produce, if most people stopped eating meat and the meat industry collapsed, you wouldn’t have the suffering, because farms would go out of business and companies would invest in the vegetarian alternatives, the market would be cheaper and I would be very happy indeed.

You say you feel guilty about eating meat then refrain from consuming it. It’s not hard if you really want to make that transition, there are companies such as Quorn and Linda McCartney to help you along the way. You can’t be too committed if you feel guilty and seem to be doing little about your guilt.

Back
Top Bottom