Edinburgh Playhouse, 02/02/08!

Morrissey spoke to us, when he asked who's bought the new single we shouted yes & on vinyl & he pulled a funny face & replied vinyl?

love

Grim

Cheers for the link on youtube, im the big guy that was grabbed and punched. Id say that the security was a bit overzealous, and ive got the black eye to prove it:cool: but then again i dont suppose i shoulda been there. If your going to rush the stage you have to expect the consequences, its all a game innit! I suppose these guys are paid to do a job and they just do it. Once the guy realised i wasnt going to be a threat he was okay with me. Anyway im old enough to know better and my wife is not pleased. it was great to see it on you tube. Could you pm me with a better qaulity copy? Great gig!

You were wonderful - I realised things were kicking off so switched to video but didnt realise quite what I'd got until the next day. I'll put the windows file and then the original clips as avi's on a download site and send you a link. If I get clever enough/time to make stills that will follow.

So what about being old enough to know better - there's something about Morrissey that always makes me think I'm 18 again.

GlasgowChivas' Mini-review finally gets written!

Just back to work today after Edinburgh and first chance to get on Solo. Looks like there's been a lot happening over the weekend but first things first..

What a gig! Mrs. Chivas and myself were in the Stalls Row A 3rd and 4th seat in on the left from the aisle - right at the barrier - facing the sour-faced redheaded dick of security. What a knob he turned out to be. Bald guy to his right (Sean?) was a legend though - more on this later.

What a view! Moz and the band were sOoooooooooOO close! Never, never, ever been so close to him before! :guitar:

And what a set too. From what I've read there seems to be people that were dissapointed and others saying that there was no life in the place. Well there was in my row! I had no voice left on Sunday and was bruised up both sides but never felt better.

I also was glad to see all the new songs played - yes, there are classics from his solo career as well as Smith's songs that we would all die for a chance to see live but we all REALLY know that it isn't likely. I'm pumped to hear new songs because that means a new album, new Moz singles, more tours!!! Anyway....

Can confirm that it was both voice and mike (not Joyce) problems at start of gig. Plus a lot of lines unsung - though I don't mind when you see those grimaces/faces up close!

Highlight for me was The Loop - the entire band rocked the f*** outta that tune and seeing Moz shaking it was great! Solomon was right in front of us with the big bass. Have got a clip of this on Mrs Chivas' phone but I am not so great with the uploading etc so may take a while to get on-line (the sound is terrible, the camera is shakey but you can see everyone rocking so i will post it)

After he accepted the crime books and set them on the drum riser he moved over to the left side of the stage - I can't remember what song we were on or even if there was any because - I got an acknowledgement from the man himself!!!!! I was stretching out my arm with our gifts and he saw me. Gestured okay come on and moved around that ginger-prick of security to crouch opposite me - BUT I AM TOO SHORT!! I COULDN't PASS IT TO HIM!! Eventually, the security-arse woke up and took the gifts, placing them just on the lip of the stage. Morrissey had returned to the left side of the stage but he looked at them and said "Not Bad!" Guess after the wrapped books ours looked a bit shit but hey! i got interaction with my idol!:D:D:D

Then, later it got a bit hairy......

During Paris our gifts were knocked to the floor of the pit. After much frantic signalling (Sean?) retrieved them and set them back on the stage. You crazy invaders! I love your rushes to stage and wrestles with the guards but you nearly lost my gift!!! Grrrrrr!!!!!

Then, just as I started to breathe easy it all kicked off again during FOTGTD. At this point, the guy who was behind Arturo was on the stage; he stood on the book (Brighton Rock with several of Mrs Chivas' business cards inside) so he grabbed it and slung it onto the drum riser -he then picked up the chain (my dogtags with a pair of Mrs Chivas handmade cufflinks on it) - she's a Jeweller and Silversmith by trade - and STUFFED THEM IN HIS POCKET!!!! NOOOOO! THERE FOR MOZ NOT YOU!! :eek:

Frantically gesturing I managed to catch his eye. Making gestures approximating me pulling a chain from my neck he got the message.....

AND TOSSED IT BACK TO ME!!!! :eek:

Luckily I caught it like a starving frog snatching a fruit fly for breakfast. Didn't want Moz's gift getting into the rabble behind me.

Dissapointment came to me and booted me and bruised and hurt me! What was I to do now?

Luckily by this point Jesse had jumped into the pit and was shaking hands. I screamed at him when he took my hand and thrust the chain into his other one. He stuffed into his pocket, shook Mrs Chivas's hand and was gone.

relief....

Mrs Chivas also scored interaction with the band. Solomon was chucking out stuff at end too and she gave him a "Where's mine?" gesture. He returned a "Sorry!" mime but then went back to get more and flung her a plectrum!

All in all a brilliant night. Only regret is that it was over so quick. :(

I see that the invasions have been Youtubed and that pics have been posted.Can't see any of them in work so need to check out tonight when I go home. Hope someone recorded the show a la Lille. Would love a record that he spoke in refrence to me, if not directly AT me.

Until we meet again Moz - "Not bad!"
:)

GlasgowChivas' Mini-review finally gets written!

Just back to work today after Edinburgh and first chance to get on Solo. Looks like there's been a lot happening over the weekend but first things first..

What a gig! Mrs. Chivas and myself were in the Stalls Row A 3rd and 4th seat in on the left from the aisle - right at the barrier - facing the sour-faced redheaded dick of security. What a knob he turned out to be. Bald guy to his right (Sean?) was a legend though - more on this later.

What a view! Moz and the band were sOoooooooooOO close! Never, never, ever been so close to him before! :guitar:

And what a set too. From what I've read there seems to be people that were dissapointed and others saying that there was no life in the place. Well there was in my row! I had no voice left on Sunday and was bruised up both sides but never felt better.

I also was glad to see all the new songs played - yes, there are classics from his solo career as well as Smith's songs that we would all die for a chance to see live but we all REALLY know that it isn't likely. I'm pumped to hear new songs because that means a new album, new Moz singles, more tours!!! Anyway....

Can confirm that it was both voice and mike (not Joyce) problems at start of gig. Plus a lot of lines unsung - though I don't mind when you see those grimaces/faces up close!

Highlight for me was The Loop - the entire band rocked the f*** outta that tune and seeing Moz shaking it was great! Solomon was right in front of us with the big bass. Have got a clip of this on Mrs Chivas' phone but I am not so great with the uploading etc so may take a while to get on-line (the sound is terrible, the camera is shakey but you can see everyone rocking so i will post it)

After he accepted the crime books and set them on the drum riser he moved over to the left side of the stage - I can't remember what song we were on or even if there was any because - I got an acknowledgement from the man himself!!!!! I was stretching out my arm with our gifts and he saw me. Gestured okay come on and moved around that ginger-prick of security to crouch opposite me - BUT I AM TOO SHORT!! I COULDN't PASS IT TO HIM!! Eventually, the security-arse woke up and took the gifts, placing them just on the lip of the stage. Morrissey had returned to the left side of the stage but he looked at them and said "Not Bad!" Guess after the wrapped books ours looked a bit shit but hey! i got interaction with my idol!:D:D:D

Then, later it got a bit hairy......

During Paris our gifts were knocked to the floor of the pit. After much frantic signalling (Sean?) retrieved them and set them back on the stage. You crazy invaders! I love your rushes to stage and wrestles with the guards but you nearly lost my gift!!! Grrrrrr!!!!!

Then, just as I started to breathe easy it all kicked off again during FOTGTD. At this point, the guy who was behind Arturo was on the stage; he stood on the book (Brighton Rock with several of Mrs Chivas' business cards inside) so he grabbed it and slung it onto the drum riser -he then picked up the chain (my dogtags with a pair of Mrs Chivas handmade cufflinks on it) - she's a Jeweller and Silversmith by trade - and STUFFED THEM IN HIS POCKET!!!! NOOOOO! THERE FOR MOZ NOT YOU!! :eek:

Frantically gesturing I managed to catch his eye. Making gestures approximating me pulling a chain from my neck he got the message.....

AND TOSSED IT BACK TO ME!!!! :eek:

Luckily I caught it like a starving frog snatching a fruit fly for breakfast. Didn't want Moz's gift getting into the rabble behind me.

Dissapointment came to me and booted me and bruised and hurt me! What was I to do now?

Luckily by this point Jesse had jumped into the pit and was shaking hands. I screamed at him when he took my hand and thrust the chain into his other one. He stuffed into his pocket, shook Mrs Chivas's hand and was gone.

relief....

Mrs Chivas also scored interaction with the band. Solomon was chucking out stuff at end too and she gave him a "Where's mine?" gesture. He returned a "Sorry!" mime but then went back to get more and flung her a plectrum!

All in all a brilliant night. Only regret is that it was over so quick. :(

I see that the invasions have been Youtubed and that pics have been posted.Can't see any of them in work so need to check out tonight when I go home. Hope someone recorded the show a la Lille. Would love a record that he spoke in refrence to me, if not directly AT me.

Until we meet again Moz - "Not bad!"
:)

Enjoyed your review Chivas.

I was near the front too, Row B and was mesmerized by the whole performance.
The fans were just so great on Sat and everyone seemed up for it and the atmosphere just kept building and building. Good to see so many getting on stage, I think just as security had almost gone to sleep, and how Moz just loved that!

I missed some of Irish Blood as he had flung his 1st shirt in my direction and as I’m not that brave I tried to avoid it but ended up being tossed backwards over the seats into the next row in the rush! Thanks to the kind folk who helped me to my feet as I tried to keep going with Irish Blood!!! What a laugh and what a fantastic night. I’m still on a high!

mmmm love is in the air

Originally Posted by Voodoo Doll
Does anyone have a good photo or video of the girl in the je suis top and red cardi please during FOTGTD?
Thanks

mmmm love is in the air

Ha lol, no, its her birthday today and I thought it would be such a cool gift - a picture or clip of Moz dragging her up on stage & hugging her!
Please help if you can
Thanks

i was at the gig and at the after show which could have been a bit of a shambles,

im not a great fan like some off you but friend i was with is, i did have a great time,

i found the staff in the edinburgh playhouse very friendly especially the box office staff who helped me imensly with my tickets,

coming from a source close to home as well the security on the stage are seemingly morrisey's own security and nothing to do with the playhouse, its only the rock steady at the front of the stage that are employed by the venue itself, and it is there job to keep the people away from the stage to try and stop them injuing themselves more than the man himself thought they weren't actually doing that great a job off it,

oh and i have some great photo's if anyone wants copy's of any off them, will post a link later if so

Originally Posted by Voodoo Doll
Does anyone have a good photo or video of the girl in the je suis top and red cardi please during FOTGTD?
Thanks

mmmm love is in the air

Ha lol, no, its her birthday today and I thought it would be such a cool gift - a picture or clip of Moz dragging her up on stage & hugging her!
Please help if you can
Thanks

I just put a video up on youtube should be on soon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jnnyL-3MtM

I think GlasgowChivsa was near to me. I think from what you said about giving Morrissey the book your head appears at the end of my video.:D
Seems out of sync with the music - but the original is ok so it must be all that compressing anyway you can see how wild it was. Great night.

Edinburgh was great, my fav one. I have some pics but will post them when I get home by the weekend.

take care all,

I think GlasgowChivsa was near to me. I think from what you said about giving Morrissey the book your head appears at the end of my video.:D
Seems out of sync with the music - but the original is ok so it must be all that compressing anyway you can see how wild it was. Great night.

Oh my God. Thank you so much for posting this video! When I met you outside after the gig and you told me you'd filmed the encore, I knew I'd be in it, and I am! The second best moment of my life (as the very best moment was just 10 minutes before, when Morrissey shook my hand).
I will treasure this clip forever. Thanks again for filming it, and for making it available for me to watch relentlessly :D

Oh my God. Thank you so much for posting this video! When I met you outside after the gig and you told me you'd filmed the encore, I knew I'd be in it, and I am! The second best moment of my life (as the very best moment was just 10 minutes before, when Morrissey shook my hand).
I will treasure this clip forever. Thanks again for filming it, and for making it available for me to watch relentlessly :D

This post gave me a HUGE smile. Well done!

It was my first Morrissey gig, and ranks up there as the best gig I've ever ever been to. I've never felt so connected with a crowd, and also with the performer, and 'Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want' moved me to almost-tears. Fantastic.

Firstly, thank you so much to all the forumers who I met in the pub who made me feel welcome and at home - everyone was so nice.
Secondly, thanks to the girl whose forum name I've forgotten (sorry!) and whose real name I don't want to put on here incase that's not the done thing...anyway, you were so lovely and friendly and she made me decide for real to go over the barrier into the furore.
Thirdly, big thanks to Morrissey the 23rd and the other lad (whose forum name I've also forgotten, sorry again!) for helping me over the barrier. It was thanks to you guys that I got to touch Morrissey's hand. Forever in your debt.

I agree that the security were over-vicious. I've never done that sort of thing before, so I wasn't sure whether it was normal behaviour, but having thought back on it, I'm sure it wasn't.
They just descended on me as soon as I got in there - which is certainly fair enough since I'm not supposed to be in there, and that's their job. However, one of them was holding me back in a death-like headlock which meant that I couldn't even breathe, which made me panic slightly. And this was inbetween my two attempts, so we were just at the side, I wasn't any threat to anyone at that point.
Then, somehow or other, I managed to get halfway up on the stage (in that I had one leg up and half my body on there and was in the process of lugging the rest of myself up) when I was just totally wiped out by some security guy - it seems he just either punched me down from the stage, or just swiped me off or something. I landed flat on my back, which made my glasses go flying and another one of them stood on my head. Now, I ache all over, am covered from head to toe with some incredible cuts and bruises and can't really move my head from side to side as my neck hurts badly. Plus my back is definitely not right, and I have a worrying-looking knobbly lump-type thing on my arm that wasn't there before.

I'm not saying all this for sympathy or to express my anger towards the security people - as I'm still under the impression that this is their job and they no doubt had every right to do whatever they could to keep me away from the stage (or did they? i don't know).
I'm just stunned that so much happened in the space of a few minutes.

Despite all the physical pain, I still had what is most definitely one of the best nights of my life. I now understand just what sort of experience a Morrissey gig is, and I'm glad to have met everyone I met, as - once again - everyone was just so lovely. Thanks for making the night complete.

You were so quiet in the pub too. Moz is a drug. Love hurts. Hope the worrying-looking knobbly lump-type thing is dying down and the rest of you is recovering too.

Look forward to seeing you down the front at future Morrissey concerts.

You don't owe me anything. Reading your post was more than enough. As you know from your other experiences with Morrissey apostles. It's nice to be nice. I'm glad your experience was, as it should be.

Cheers for the link on youtube, im the big guy that was grabbed and punched. Id say that the security was a bit overzealous, and ive got the black eye to prove it:cool: but then again i dont suppose i shoulda been there. If your going to rush the stage you have to expect the consequences, its all a game innit! I suppose these guys are paid to do a job and they just do it. Once the guy realised i wasnt going to be a threat he was okay with me. Anyway im old enough to know better and my wife is not pleased. it was great to see it on you tube. Could you pm me with a better qaulity copy? Great gig!

Spot on. I feel your pain more than you could know.

i was at the gig and at the after show which could have been a bit of a shambles,

im not a great fan like some off you but friend i was with is, i did have a great time,

i found the staff in the edinburgh playhouse very friendly especially the box office staff who helped me imensly with my tickets,

coming from a source close to home as well the security on the stage are seemingly morrisey's own security and nothing to do with the playhouse, its only the rock steady at the front of the stage that are employed by the venue itself, and it is there job to keep the people away from the stage to try and stop them injuing themselves more than the man himself thought they weren't actually doing that great a job off it,

oh and i have some great photo's if anyone wants copy's of any off them, will post a link later if so

Looking forward to your link.

The Playhouse staff were extremely nice to a friend and forum member here whose glasses were broken when he was assaulted by a fan eh. Girlfriend in a coma were extremely nice to him too!

I spoke with the Rocksteady guys after the show. None of them are going to work a Morrissey concert again. I did feel sorry for the guy with grey hair. He spent ages on the floor holding somebody and being stood on.

Brilliant - thank you

Back
Top Bottom