Exclusive Stephen Street interview on Viva Hate remastering and getting back with Moz

Re: Exclusive Stephen Street interview on Viva Hate remastering and getting back with

As for what passes through Morrissey's mind to come up with these crazy-ass decisions ~ I would assume that it's the same firing synapses that came up with 'This Charming Man', 'There Is A Light That Will Never Go Out', 'Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me', 'Suedehead', 'November Spawned A Monster', 'National Front Disco', 'The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get', 'Southpaw', 'Maladjusted', 'Trouble Loves Me', 'The First of the Gang To Die', 'Dear God, Please Help Me', 'Christian Dior', 'Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed', 'My Dearest Love', 'Scandinavia', and a few other songs you may remember. You take the rough with the smooth.

This is not a justification for blind adoration; it's just an attempt to suggest that the same head that cuts an intro, or meddles with a beloved middle eight, or alters a sleeve, also concocted a quarter century's worth of cracking stuff. And that the very same oddness, a unique oddness, that causes the one, is also responsible for the other. So. I'm just saying a certain leeway is due. Emotionally, as well as clinically.

And is anybody actually shocked and offended anymore? He is mmmental. Anybody that's followed him for more than even a few years must soon realise that.

With these recent excisings too, it could have been worse, given that in 1990 he stated that "at least half" of 'Viva Hate' should be best left forgotten, and saw the LP as little more than a living sign that he hadn't killed himself. By 2002 he was unearthing 'Late Night, Maudlin Street' in concerts in a fairly drastically re-drawn version (to not alot of opprobrium I seem to remember); it always struck me as one of his most unremittingly personal songs (literally 'his diaries set to music') and one that might be problematic to him looking back. The fact that he's licking his hankie and wiping it's mucky cheek now, some twenty odd years later, suggests that these things continue to be of very personal concern to him.

I do also distinctly remember more than a few Morrissey fans back in '88 whispering, very softly, that 'Maudlin Street' did go on a bit. So at least they'll be happy. If they're around. Which they're probably not. Or if they are, they'll probably be saying Morrissey's a twat for daring to fiddle with an untouchable classic. Such is life.

Re: Exclusive Stephen Street interview on Viva Hate remastering and getting back with

As for what passes through Morrissey's mind to come up with these crazy-ass decisions ~ I would assume that it's the same firing synapses that came up with 'This Charming Man', 'There Is A Light That Will Never Go Out', 'Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me', 'Suedehead', 'November Spawned A Monster', 'National Front Disco', 'The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get', 'Southpaw', 'Maladjusted', 'Trouble Loves Me', 'The First of the Gang To Die', 'Dear God, Please Help Me', 'Christian Dior', 'Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed', 'My Dearest Love', 'Scandinavia', and a few other songs you may remember. You take the rough with the smooth.

This is not a justification for blind adoration; it's just an attempt to suggest that the same head that cuts an intro, or meddles with a beloved middle eight, or alters a sleeve, also concocted a quarter century's worth of cracking stuff. And that the very same oddness, a unique oddness, that causes the one, is also responsible for the other. So. I'm just saying a certain leeway is due. Emotionally, as well as clinically.

And is anybody actually shocked and offended anymore? He is mmmental. Anybody that's followed him for more than even a few years must soon realise that.

With these recent excisings too, it could have been worse, given that in 1990 he stated that "at least half" of 'Viva Hate' should be best left forgotten, and saw the LP as little more than a living sign that he hadn't killed himself. By 2002 he was unearthing 'Late Night, Maudlin Street' in concerts in a fairly drastically re-drawn version (to not alot of opprobrium I seem to remember); it always struck me as one of his most unremittingly personal songs (literally 'his diaries set to music') and one that might be problematic to him looking back. The fact that he's licking his hankie and wiping it's mucky cheek now, some twenty odd years later, suggests that these things continue to be of very personal concern to him.

I do also distinctly remember more than a few Morrissey fans back in '88 whispering, very softly, that 'Maudlin Street' did go on a bit. So at least they'll be happy. If they're around. Which they're probably not. Or if they are, they'll probably be saying Morrissey's a twat for daring to fiddle with an untouchable classic. Such is life.

This will always be subjective, but fans who have previously bought this album are now offered it for sale again, and that causes contention.
All albums have imperfections, and that is part of their character and their place in the diary of an artist's music. When Tipp-ex is retrospectively applied it partially dilutes that creative moment, and slightly embarrasses the artist's own path. It is that more than any financial motive which I find unpleasant and a few degrees east of common-sense integrity. However the album is improved in Morrissey's view, or production qualities are raised, the original from it's year of creation will always be scarred to some degree, and that can never be reversed. I never find that preferable to leaving musical history to it's own nature.
And I avoided Vulgar Picture references

I don’t really want to pass judgement on the new release before purchasing it, but. Liner notes Chrissie Hyde. I know Morrissey doesn’t have a good relationship with journalists, but couldn’t he have found someone a bit more objective? Someone who can perhaps be more insightful to the importance of the album in Morrissey’s career. The pop cultural importance of this work. Of how it gave Morrissey (and pop music) his two biggest and most well-known solo works, “Suedehead” and “Everyday Is Like Sunday”. With using Chrissie just seems to be too much mutual back slapping.
However, I hope to be proved wrong.

Also, Morrissey has email!? Ohhh is it [email protected]? [email protected] . I was wondering how Julia was getting her press releases so quickly. The fax machine must be consigned to the dustbin of history.

I'd be quite happy if Morrissey butchered the album so it reflected the best of the material of the time.

Alsatian Cousin
Little Man What Now?
Everyday Is Like Sunday
Hairdresser On Fire
The Ordinary Boys
Break Up The Family
Late Night Maudlin Street
Suedehead
Sister I'm A Poet
I Don't Mind If You Forget Me
Will Never Marry
Dial A Cliche
MOAG
Disappointed

with bonus tracks of :
I Know Very Well How I Got My Name
Angel Angel, Down We Go Together
Bengali In Platforms
Safe Warm Lancashire Home
Treat Me Like A Human Being
Please Help The Cause Against Loneliness
Lifeguard On Duty
Striptease With A Difference
Oh Well I'll Never Learn
Dial A Cliche (Demo)
Suedehead (Sparks Mix)
I Know Very Well How I Got My Note Wrong

Of course, there could be A deluxe box set with a DVD of the Wolves gig, with Andys face CGI'd out and replaced by Solomon, Mike's face CGI'd out and replaced with Matt and Craig's face CGI'd out and replaced with Dave Navarro. Just for giggles. Each box would contain a shrinkwrapped shard of the 1988 vinyl edition, personally handsmashed by Morrissey against a poreclain reproduction of Andrew Paresi's drumkit, with new liner notes written by the guy who used to work at the Macclesfield DHSS, and autographed by Morrissey's former headmaster in a limited edition set of 117,411 retailing for £350.

Last edited:

Nice read. Thanks!

I don’t really want to pass judgement on the new release before purchasing it, but. Liner notes Chrissie Hyde. I know Morrissey doesn’t have a good relationship with journalists, but couldn’t he have found someone a bit more objective? Someone who can perhaps be more insightful to the importance of the album in Morrissey’s career. The pop cultural importance of this work. Of how it gave Morrissey (and pop music) his two biggest and most well-known solo works, “Suedehead” and “Everyday Is Like Sunday”. With using Chrissie just seems to be too much mutual back slapping.

Although he did recycle the music and vocal tics of her Back On The Chain Gang into Suedehead so there is a tenuous link.

I'd be quite happy if Morrissey butchered the album so it reflected the best of the material of the time.

Alsatian Cousin
Little Man What Now?
Everyday Is Like Sunday
Hairdresser On Fire
The Ordinary Boys
Break Up The Family
Late Night Maudlin Street
Suedehead
Sister I'm A Poet
I Don't Mind If You Forget Me
Will Never Marry
Dial A Cliche
MOAG
Disappointed

with bonus tracks of :
I Know Very Well How I Got My Name
Angel Angel, Down We Go Together
Bengali In Platforms
Safe Warm Lancashire Home
Treat Me Like A Human Being
Please Help The Cause Against Loneliness
Lifeguard On Duty
Striptease With A Difference
Oh Well I'll Never Learn
Dial A Cliche (Demo)
Suedehead (Sparks Mix)
I Know Very Well How I Got My Note Wrong.

Not against this approach - I'd rather a radical restructuring than a pointless pruning as it recreates a very different album - but as Sister/Disappointed/Marry were recorded much later I'd say they belong firmly in the Bona Drag era.

However, I hope to be proved wrong.

Why you slamming on Chrissie Hynde, a fine woman from Northeast Ohio (a homegirl!).

Are you aware she did the best cover of "Everyday Is Like Sunday" to date?

I'd like to read her thoughts about the album.

Last edited by a moderator:

Although he did recycle the music and vocal tics of her Back On The Chain Gang into Suedehead so there is a tenuous link.

Not against this approach - I'd rather a radical restructuring than a pointless pruning as it recreates a very different album - but as Sister/Disappointed/Marry were recorded much later I'd say they belong firmly in the Bona Drag era.

Not neccessarily. Those songs were recorded the day that either Suedehead or Viva Hate charted, by the same lineup, and included on the second single that taken from the album.

The Bona Drag period, strictly speaking, cover the subsequent recordings that started in December 1988, that were intended for the then all-new LP that became the compilation of singles and b-sides.

:confused: huh? All 3 were originally the b-sides of "Everyday is Like Sunday", they just got slapped on Bona Drag because they weren't on Viva Hate itself. I think the real run of "Bona Drag" singles started with Playboys.

Not neccessarily. Those songs were recorded the day that either Suedehead or Viva Hate charted, by the same lineup, and included on the second single that taken from the album.

The Bona Drag period, strictly speaking, cover the subsequent recordings that started in December 1988, that were intended for the then all-new LP that became the compilation of singles and b-sides.

:confused: huh? All 3 were originally the b-sides of "Everyday is Like Sunday", they just got slapped on Bona Drag because they weren't on Viva Hate itself. I think the real run of "Bona Drag" singles started with Playboys.

Not quite! It is debatable because they were b-sides of Sunday, I agree. But that session was a completely different one, long after the Viva Hate sessions and took place in March 1988. The songs deliberately (on Street's part) have a very different character, and also include Happy Lovers too.

The proposed Langer/Winstanley Bona Drag LP was begun in the winter of 1989 to be exact. Playboys and Drug were interim singles, of course, and not intended for that album.

Sister/Disappointed/Marry are much more a part of and feel much more in keeping with Bona Drag. Personally I wouldn't include them on a Viva Hate reissue - but it's a somewhat academic argument as it's not really my decision!

Not quite! It is debatable because they were b-sides of Sunday, I agree. But that session was a completely different one, long after the Viva Hate sessions and took place in March 1988. The songs deliberately (on Street's part) have a very different character, and also include Happy Lovers too.

The proposed Langer/Winstanley Bona Drag LP was begun in the winter of 1989 to be exact. Playboys and Drug were interim singles, of course, and not intended for that album.

Sister/Disappointed/Marry are much more a part of and feel much more in keeping with Bona Drag. Personally I wouldn't include them on a Viva Hate reissue - but it's a somewhat academic argument as it's not really my decision!

I remember reading that Morrissey was recording his new LP "Bona Drag" in Jan 1989, and the first single from it - "last of the famous" - was coming out before recording finished. In Mid 89 he then began again, with the Langer/Winstanley sessions to complete the LP, and the album was ongoing. the EILAS b's were never intended for "Bona Drag", but "Bona Drag" to be an album of all new material - most of which became B-sides and released piecemeal in 1989-90.

Not quite! It is debatable because they were b-sides of Sunday, I agree. But that session was a completely different one, long after the Viva Hate sessions and took place in March 1988. The songs deliberately (on Street's part) have a very different character, and also include Happy Lovers too. The proposed Langer/Winstanley Bona Drag LP was begun in the winter of 1989 to be exact. Playboys and Drug were interim singles, of course, and not intended for that album.

Yes, but that wasn't really a planned gap on Street's part - Viva Hate was finished in December and then Morrissey disappeared for a few months and stopped contacting people and picking up the phone. March was the first opportunity Street had to instigate any new sessions, really. I certainly feel that both "Disappointed" and "Will Never Marry" would have been perfectly in keeping with the general theme of Viva Hate, i.e bitterness, breakups, anxiety and insecurity - but as you said, it's a rather pointless argument because we'll never be given the choice :p. I'm not sure Bona Drag has any recognisable 'feel' to it... to me at least, it's always sounded like what it is: a very scattered collection of (excellent) songs written years apart and pasted together more or less randomly. When I listen to it I don't sense any particular 'mood'from the music or the writing. I always wondered if the reaction to Bona..might have been different were it marketed as a "proper" album rather than a compilation. I can't really understand why it wasn't, but Moz was in a fierce mood, firing out singles from every angle. Perhaps he was simply eager to prove that there was life after the Smiths.

Last edited:

Yes, but that wasn't really a planned gap on Street's part - Viva Hate was finished in December and then Morrissey disappeared for a few months and stopped contacting people and picking up the phone. March was the first opportunity Street had to instigate any new sessions, really. I certainly feel that both "Disappointed" and "Will Never Marry" would have been perfectly in keeping with the general theme of Viva Hate, i.e bitterness, breakups, anxiety and insecurity - but as you said, it's a rather pointless argument because we'll never be given the choice :p. I'm not sure Bona Drag has any recognisable 'feel' to it... to me at least, it's always sounded like what it is: a very scattered collection of (excellent) songs written years apart and pasted together more or less randomly. When I listen to it I don't sense any particular 'mood'from the music or the writing. I always wondered if the reaction to Bona..might have been different were it marketed as a "proper" album rather than a compilation. I can't really understand why it wasn't, but Moz was in a fierce mood, firing out singles from every angle. Perhaps he was simply eager to prove that there was life after the Smiths.

There's certainly no denying the Bona Drag period was a murky one. I think the only point I was trying to make was by the time they came to record the Sunday b-sides, Street and the band had moved on from the generally wistful, melancholic Viva Hate sound. The tracks they recorded are more in line with the bigger, bolder broad strokes of the eventual Bona Drag material. I certainly wish they could have recorded an entire album in this vein.

It does seem odd that you would remove a song for a re-released album. It is no longer the original. Perhaps he thought changing it would entice fans who already have Viva Hate to get the new reissue. I know I have gotten tired of repurchasing things that are repackaged, but essentially the same thing I have already had for years.

It does seem odd that you would remove a song for a re-released album. It is no longer the original. Perhaps he thought changing it would entice fans who already have Viva Hate to get the new reissue. I know I have gotten tired of repurchasing things that are repackaged, but essentially the same thing I have already had for years.

It's historical revisionism and makes no sense at all. The only thing worse than the baffling omission of The Ordinary Boys is the hideous font change. It really seems like Morrissey is using these reissues as some sort of twisted joke on us. And he's probably laughing all the way to the bank.

So, Stephen Street pretty much confirms that "Treat Me Like A Human Being" will indeed be the demo version that had been released before. I had hoped that this one would be finished studio recording ... I really can't imagine that poor sounding demo in the middle of Viva Hate!

It's historical revisionism and makes no sense at all. The only thing worse than the baffling omission of The Ordinary Boys is the hideous font change. It really seems like Morrissey is using these reissues as some sort of twisted joke on us. And he's probably laughing all the way to the bank.

But he won't be laughing all the way to the bank coz hardly any of us will actually bother buying it.
An uglier cover and worse songs - what's the incentive? It's madness, really.
Luckily the songs Morrissey wrote with Marr were not simply marketed as 'Morrissey' unlike the stuff he wrote with subsequent collaborators.
If they had been, Morrissey would probably be trying to chop and change half of those too (when rereleased) but he can't, coz Marr won't let him.
Morrissey is a genius with lyrics and singing but his musical judgement is hugely flawed.

Morrissey is a genius...but his musical judgement is hugely flawed.

His musical judgement is second to none.

What is wrong is his obsession in tinkering with the past.

His musical judgement is second to none.

In a financial way, possibly (in recent years).
In a purely musical way, he is destructive.

Back
Top Bottom