Exit 06 - once again

I've got a DVD copy of this gig (good quality!) and I would like to share it, but I need some help:

1) how do I copy the content of the DVD to my hard disc?

2) the gig only takes an hour and fifteen minutes of the over two hours long DVD - obviously there is no need for me to upload the whole copy. How do I cut the gig out? Which program should I use?

3) should I convert it to some specific format in order to reduce its size (.avi or something?) - and of course, if yes, - how do I do that?

Well, if anybody has answers, I'm ready to learn and act!

Cheers!

This is the program for ripping DVD to the computer:

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/DVD-Shrink-Download-4128.html#download_locations

You have four locations to download from at the bottom of the page (all free), but the first two are not working, so choose Softpedia Secure Download (US).

When you download and install, the rest is very simple. Run the program and put the DVD into drive. Choose 'Open disc' option. It will be analysed, the disc (takes couple of minutes) and then it is ready to be ripped. Click the 'Backup!' button (it's on the left of open disc button). You will get the small window with different setting options. As everything is already set you dont have to change anything, you can only change the option 'Select target folder for DVD output files' (if you want to change the place where you want to ripp the dvd to), but no need for that either. Remember that location where it says the content will be (it's usually D:\<name of the dvd>) so you can find it when it's done (this because I usually forget to look and alaways have to search for it later). Also make sure there is enough space on your computer for the content (you have that information below the "Select target folderf or DVD output files' note). At the end, click OK button and there you go.

If you wish to convert to another format after ripping use this program, it is easy:

http://www.erightsoft.net/S5E01.html
(scrool to the bottom of the page and choose any download)

You have to open the program, choose the output formats you want, dragg and drop the files you want to convert to the window at the bottom, check the square fields beside the name of the files you wish to convert and click 'Encode'. Watch the audio format settings as you have to set them too for the videos. If you want a smaller file choose .avi in 'Select the output container', DivX in 'Select the output video codec' and mp3 in 'Select the audio output codec', and the option 'DivX - all players compatible' in a pop-up window before starting to encode.

If you should need any more help, just ask, I'll reply if I know. ;)

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention, in the window for setting the options that appears after you click backup, uncheck the square field beside the note 'create audio ts and video ts subfolders' (this is at the bottom of the window).

If your DVD consists of several chapters or parts (or similar) you will get a ripp that also has those parts, not one coherent file. You will also get some aditional files which are not important for you. When converting to another format and later uploading, only choose the files that are the parts of the concert (or something else, if you should do this in the future with another dvd's). Those are parts (files) that are of the type 'DVD Movie' (they have a notably large size).

Last edited:
YES! I did it! Uploading it as I type this!

Thank you soooo much for your help and such a good and detailed explanation! The only thing is - for some reason the picture I get when viewing the avi file I made is quite narrow, for some reason (that was not the case with the original file). The quality is good and all, but it's a bit weird that the picture is narrow like that... well I hope somebody can fix that.

It will take a couple of hours to upload this (two files, 1st: 465 MB, 2nd: 122MB) and when I do I will put the link up here.

Thanks again handsome devil!

No problem. :cool:

As for the narrow picture, you can set the options for video size when converting to .avi (section 'Video scale size'), if you don't want it to be changed, you choose 'No change' option.

Glad you made it and I'm looking forward to the video. :)

It's taking a bit longer than I expected... I fixed the picture so it isn't narrow anymore, but the file is quite big so I had to split it into 6 parts. I'll post the first part in two-three hours.
My connection sucks! :(

Thanks

Thanks a lot, as I'm downloading Pt.1 please upload Pt.2 :)

The people seem to be very very excited, as it's the first Moz gig experience for many of them, what a pleasure it is...
Thanks again, looking forward for the remaining 5 parts :)

Thanks for posting this! But i am only getting the audio. Can you play it with windows media player?

Back
Top Bottom